spike78 13-Oct-14
Dartondog 28-Oct-14
cityhunter 28-Oct-14
Ace of Spades 28-Oct-14
Peepin Tom 29-Oct-14
archer756 29-Oct-14
jjb4900 29-Oct-14
10-Oct-14
Hi just got permission for 80 acres in deleware county. Hows the bear population? Have worries about walking to a blind at 5:00 in morning and sitting in the dark. Think I will bring a ladder stand. Any info guys ??

10-Oct-14
as long as you don't smell like food, you'll be ok. Most black bears spook on the crack of a tree branch unless you're within distance of their offspring.

bring your sidearm if you're that worried.

10-Oct-14
Is that legal in New York. Im from ct and we cant do that here

10-Oct-14
not legal to have a pistol during in your possession during archery season in NY.

10-Oct-14
Unless you get into a situation with cubs or literally bump into one in the dark the chances of something happening are very remote. I would say that the walk in would be more risk than sitting in the blind itself.

Predatory black bear attacks are extremely rare. Better chance of winning the lottery. That being said a hiker was killed a few weeks ago in NJ which by all accounts seems to have been a predatory attack. The first one there in 150 years, although NJ has a unique situation with too many suburban bears that are habituated to people.

12-Oct-14
It's not the bears that will get you in the dark, it's the grouse that fly up a foot in front of your face and cause a heart attack.

13-Oct-14
I second the grouse. Got me many times.

28-Oct-14
A hiker was recently killed in Jersey. Use Mace and not the 10 buck purse bottle get the 70 buck bear big can

28-Oct-14
blk bears not a issue plus in NY we can shoot them

28-Oct-14
I believe with a concealed carry permit you can carry during archery.

29-Oct-14
I'm hunting in Canisteo this weekend and my buddy had 8 bear pics on his trail cam last week one of which was as big as a Volkswagen! I'll be carrying my 2ft machete to the tree.

29-Oct-14
In NY one can NOT have any side arm during archery

29-Oct-14
Nobody can legally carry a handgun while bowhunting in NY, not even a Law Enforcement Officer.

• Sitka Gear