MA_Bowhunter 13-Oct-14
Birdman 14-Oct-14
Dr. Deer 14-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 15-Oct-14
notme 15-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 15-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 15-Oct-14
11-Oct-14
Got a call from a friend of mined last night told me he hit a deer and he thought the hit was a little high but he was going to wait until the morning to go look for it as he thought it needed time and does not have a yote problem. I asked him about the shot and at first I thought it was a no brainer this deer was dead. Then he told me that after it ran about 70yards it disappeared into some brush then blew a couple of times. That was when my spidey sense kicked in and I'm thinking if it did it he will not find that deer. I have never heard a mortally wounded deer blow.

So I pose the question, has anyone here ever had a mortally wounded deer blow??

11-Oct-14
Mortally hit deer I doubt it....most likely there was another deer in the brush that his deer startled after the shot.

11-Oct-14
Yes its happen to me!

11-Oct-14
Yes I had it happen as well ,

11-Oct-14
I hit a buck too low before and it ran and stopped and grunted at me. I said that cant be a good sign. I tracked it for hundreds of yards and never found it.

11-Oct-14
2 years ago I shot an 8 pt buck, thought the hit was good, and gave it a half hour climbed down and walked over to where I had last seen the buck enter some high grass. I hear a deer run and start blowing. Oh no I backed out and went back in the am. Deer was stone dead, right where I saw it enter the grass. Not sure how I didn't see it the night before, I couldn't have been more than 10 yds from it. The deer I heard blowing must have just been a few others i spooked out that were in the area. It also worked out that I climbed back up in my stand to sit right after I found my buck and within 15 minutes shot a much larger 9 pt. but in my opinion a mortally wounded deer will not blow.

11-Oct-14
Update - got a call from my buddy, he has been searching since daybreak and is soaked to say the least. He is also deerless, so although he hit the deer it must have moved from the original spot. So maybe the deer was not mortally wounded. From what he described it sounds like the shot might have been much higher than he originally thought and he might have hit the no mans land between the top of the lungs and the spine. He is going to look more after the rain ends but my guess is he will never find that deer.

11-Oct-14
IMHO, blowing would be hard to do with a hole in the lung cavity.

A mortal wound doesn't have to involve the lungs.

11-Oct-14
The No Man's Land between the lungs and the spine? Ah the dreaded "Void".

That one has been pretty well debunked folks.

11-Oct-14
More like over the spine. The spine lays a good four or five inches below the top of the back up near the shoulder. Pass through shot, good blood at first, then peters out to nothing but tracks. The deer will live to be shot another day.

Had a doe snort at me that I hit in the scapula, she lived though.

11-Oct-14
No such thing as no man's land...most ppl that hit high and think this is usually a back strap shot.ive killed several deer where arrow went just under spine=dead with in sight most times.

11-Oct-14
GrizzlyAdam I agree. Back in 2011 I killed a 3 pointer during the b season with my shotgun that my buddy had shot with the bow oct 18. Above the spine middle of body. When I seen the lump there when I walked up to it I was confused untill I skinned it out and seen the 3 blade muzzy marks

12-Oct-14
Never that's against the rules!

12-Oct-14
Never that's against the rules!

12-Oct-14
deer my son shot lst week grunted nonstop after we hit it the second time. could even hear it grunting when it was well out of sight. Watch the video under Sons first archery harvest.

12-Oct-14
I only had it happen on a non fatal shot where I grazed the back of a bucks leg just under the heart it was a 4 yard shot with a shot gun still kick myself for it the scope had raised mounts to see sights and all I could do was just move my head a little to see thru scope and I put it on the heart and fired . The deer ran about a 100 yards and walked off with a grunt at every step it took I came back to area 4 hrs later and heard him again grunting while he walked back out of the bedding area he was in . Finally got him in December with the bow and he was healed up with a patch of fur missing from leg and belly and he was walking normal and not grunting . My old man shot one once where it went thru the top of one lung and liver and tracked it 200 yards and heard what he called it making a blood curtailing sounds it was bedded and he crept In to 30 yards and stuck it with another arrow.

13-Oct-14

MA_Bowhunter's embedded Photo
MA_Bowhunter's embedded Photo
I think I have solved the mystery of why some people believe in the "void" between the spine and the lungs. I showed the attached image to a couple of guys once and said to them, "the blue line is the spine". They didn't believe it, and insisted that the spine is much higher. That's AS THEY WERE LOOKING AT THIS GRAPHIC. Imagine what they are like in the field - if the arrow hits anywhere below the hairline, its a lung shot or the "void"?? I still shake my head in amazement that they could look at this image and not get it.

There is no "void" below the spine - but there definitely is one above the spine!

14-Oct-14
MA-Bowhunter - this is a great diagram that we should probably all have a second glance at and share with our younger hunters.

Since I started this thread I will say that I have definately learned that the void is above the spine and not below and between the lungs.

Looking at this I will be that the deer my buddy hit was high and hit the opposite side shoulder blade based on his discription. I will bet that deer is still alive.

14-Oct-14
Many "hit" deer don't know they are hit. They behave normally. Blowing can happen, seen it happen. Have even seen hit deer come back to the spot to find out "what the hell was that, that just happened" and get another shaft. Hunt long enough, kill enough and you see some weird s**t.

15-Oct-14
I thought notme would ask this one.

Would a deer that's blowing get wounded?? :)

15-Oct-14
oh no youre not baiting me with that one , but only if it gets hit in the eyes

15-Oct-14
Here's how stupid I am,....I didn't even realize what I typed until you answered, then I laughed out load at work. Of course you got it right away!!

15-Oct-14
I laughed out LOUD, not LOAD. Boy, was that the wrong word to type or what??

• Sitka Gear