air leak 19-Oct-14
Dr. Deer 19-Oct-14
grizzlyadam 19-Oct-14
grizzlyadam 19-Oct-14
grizzlyadam 19-Oct-14
11-Oct-14

CT bow junkie's embedded Photo
What's everyone shooting for heads and how long have you been shooting them?

11-Oct-14
For about the last seven years I've been using the Wensel Woodsman. It makes a devastating wound, however, I wasn't getting many hits where the arrow would completely pass through. I have since switched back to a two blade 125gn Magnus or the 135gn Zwicky. While sharpening it appears that the Magnus is a harder steel. Also, the two blade is easier to sharpen, by using a Lansky sharpener.

11-Oct-14

Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Wild Bill's embedded Photo
For about the last seven years I've been using the Wensel Woodsman. It makes a devastating wound, however, I wasn't getting many hits where the arrow would completely pass through. I have since switched back to a two blade 125gn Magnus or the 135gn Zwicky. While sharpening it appears that the Magnus is a harder steel. Also, the two blade is easier to sharpen, by using a Lansky sharpener.

11-Oct-14
Slick Trick Mags 100gr. About 10 years now. I've tried the standards and Grizz's....but the mags work the best for me.

My son shoots the Razor Tricks because he shoots less weight and we wanted a cut-on-contact tip in order to get better penetration. They work great for him.

Both heads are extremely accurate when our bows are tuned properly.

11-Oct-14
100gr Rage 2 blade. Devastating and complete pass through every time.

11-Oct-14
used to use 125 gr rage...now using 160 gr zwikey eskimo

11-Oct-14
I've been using razor tricks for about 7 years now. Not all that impressed with the blood trails, but most end with a very dead deer.

11-Oct-14
G5 montecs 100 gr. Over the last two years, four hits, all pass thru's

before that I used three and four blade muzzys with very good results.

I believe the montec broadheads are stronger..

11-Oct-14
Rage 2 blade....unbelievable blood trails

11-Oct-14

DeerDan 's embedded Photo
2 blade rage hypodermic

11-Oct-14
Wasp Drone

11-Oct-14
Slick trick standards, two deer shot so far and went no more than 60 yards. If I switch im going to a razor trick or two blade all steel like a grizzly or samauri in case of a shoulder hit.

11-Oct-14
Rage hypodermic shot two bucks so far with it great blood deer didn't make it very far I'm a rage believer!

11-Oct-14
I just harvested my first 2 deer with a bow shooting slick trick mags 100gr on full metal jackets 65lb draw both pass through at 22 yards from my tree stand and stuck into the ground. Both deer dropped within eye sight but I noticed entry and exit holes small and blood trail not that good even though there was massive internal bleeding both where double lung shots. They expired quick but not the greatest blood trail.

11-Oct-14
Rage 100 gr 2 blade. Hit the dirt within sight of the stand. Love them

11-Oct-14
Chuck,

First of all I want to say congratulations on getting deer.

"I just harvested my first 2 deer with a bow shooting slick trick mags 100gr on full metal jackets 65lb draw both pass through at 22 yards from my tree stand and stuck into the ground."

Is that first deer ever, or, with a bow? What were your expectations regarding a bloodtrail?

"Both deer dropped within eye sight but I noticed entry and exit holes small and blood trail not that good even though there was massive internal bleeding both where double lung shots. They expired quick but not the greatest blood trail."

After reading this I wondered about the blood trail, and how you perceived it to be not the greatest, in light of massive internal bleeding.

I think my first question would concern the direction they traveled, relative to the entry wound. Was the shot uphill, downhill? Assuming the entry wound is higher than the exit wound, did the deer go uphill, downhill or level to the site of the hit?

I have followed many bloodtrails where there wasn't an exit wound on the bottom of the animal. Most of those offered no blood until at least thirty yards away from the site of the hit. Were it not for taking note of the last visual contact, I may have never found a bloodtrail or recovered those deer.

12-Oct-14
Congratulations Chuck

13-Oct-14
Im comparing the blood trails to pics I've seen looking at ads for mechanical broad heads and mechanical broad head harvest pics here and elsewhere. Being my first with my bow, I guess I didn't really have a good comparison all the other deer I've taken where with my 20ga slug gun. I was in a flat area one went the direction it was facing the other did a 180 and took off. I had blood almost right at point of impact. Maybe I was just expecting too much I was thinking I was going to see pools not drips and sprayed droplets, however there was a good pool where they layed.

13-Oct-14

Rage hypo.

13-Oct-14

Rage hypo.

13-Oct-14

Treerat's embedded Photo
Treerat's embedded Photo
schwaker 100 grain. Carnage everywhere!!!

13-Oct-14

Treerat's embedded Photo
Treerat's embedded Photo
Blood trail not a problem with the Schwaker!

13-Oct-14
I have had great luck with most of these heads

13-Oct-14
I'm thinking about screwing on a rage hypodermic 100gr I would like to see the difference between that and my slick trick mag but I don't want to mess with it mid season when I'm shooting well with what I have maybe next season

13-Oct-14

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
Slick Trick 100gr

13-Oct-14

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
here is were it hit the tree

13-Oct-14
That is good blood great pic

14-Oct-14
Sweet pics guys. Love it!

15-Oct-14
Just bought shwacker 2inch 100grain

15-Oct-14
Rage 2bld primary head for the several years. Last few years I used the extreme's and really liked em... but this year decided to try 2" cut hypodermics.

15-Oct-14
100gr grizztricks

15-Oct-14
This year I'm using Zwickey 135gr. Just need to get a shot and see how they work. Last couple seasons, Magnus 2 blade, Magnus Snuffer and Wensel Woodsman.

16-Oct-14
Sharp ones well placed.

16-Oct-14
Rage 2 blade have been working well for me . Its all about shot placement guys. Aim small miss small!

16-Oct-14

Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
My favorite cutting-to-the-tip is Mangus Stinger. The head is only 100 grains but with a 100 grain brass insert, I can tune carbon shafts and make them fly great. Fatal. Even on a lung-liver hit.

16-Oct-14
Hey dr deer what ever happen to chaising tail ? Seems it never took off kinda was hoping for more realistic hunting on tv I'm kinda sick off seeing these worked up hunting shows. People shooting 140 to 200 class bucks hell anyone can do that if you want to pay thousands

16-Oct-14
Hey Irontail go check out some of are videos at Maine hunters. New Englad guys getting it done right here in New England.

16-Oct-14

This was a pic from 2012 season and I think it was a T-3 by g5. Great heads

16-Oct-14

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
@Brian M , i used the 125gr rage for awhile , after a couple bad experiences last year i wasnt too thrilled with them ..it seems the blades bend too easy when hitting bone..after watching lots of videos on broadhead penetration on bone , i went with the Zwikey 160gr..id rather smash through bone the defect of it..with some minor tweeking on my arrow , 4" vanes 2* offset over 2" vanes im 67# 32"arrow, im shooting tennis balls at 40yrds..

16-Oct-14
Can you eat tennis balls ?????

16-Oct-14
yeah theyre great with a side of Sharapova .. ;)

16-Oct-14
Chuck , youre not always going to get a "it looked like a bucket of paint" trail..a lot depends on angle and placement..this was at 25 yrds on the ground..there was a pin prick of blood every few yards but when i gutted him the heart had a 2 finger hole and the cavity was full of blood..watching during/after the shot is just as important..like others said aim small

16-Oct-14

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
danm technology!

16-Oct-14
Awesome pic bow junkie

16-Oct-14
notme,

that's nice shooting my friend!! PERFECTO! You could of used a field point and killed him with that shot placement.

16-Oct-14

CT bow Junkie, very cool pic. Irontail, no plans to continue that. It came, it went.

Snow can really help out sometimes......

16-Oct-14
I like wasp or grim reaper expendables never had a problem with the either one

17-Oct-14
Always wanted to try grim reaper heads

17-Oct-14
lets just say I have trust issues :) I don't trust mechanical blades to open or replacement blades to be (my definition of) sharp out of the box. so I shoot fixed/resharpenable heads...

my trad arrows get Wensel Woodsmans with steel adaptors and brass inserts, they come in a whopping 300 grains on the business end and sharp enough to shave.

my compound arrows get G5 Montec 100 grains, sharp enough to shave.

neither have failed to get complete passthru and blood trails the blind can follow.

17-Oct-14
hickstick

just wondering how the blind can the see the deer to shoot it?? :)

I tend to agree with your opinion, but I also like to try new things, so this year I'm trying some Rage tips. When I was planning my elk hunt in New Mexico, most outfitters (not all) didn't want you to use a mechanical head for the same reasons you stated.

17-Oct-14
Have to say for a budget hunter that wants something that works good for the money try the torrid ss. I picked up some to mess around with in late season and I have to say there pretty good . I took a yote. And I dumped a doe on last day of season quartering shot little high and she went about 35yrds heck of a hole also . Just sayin

18-Oct-14

Cranial Vault's embedded Photo
Grim reaper 125 grain xbow

18-Oct-14

Carnage from same head

18-Oct-14

Another reaper casualty this year.

18-Oct-14

This doe got Ulmer Edge-ed

18-Oct-14

A bit to easy for blood trail challenge

19-Oct-14

air leak's embedded Photo
CHUCK------>

Both of these deer were killed yesterday, using a 100 grain Slick Trick Magnum.

Neither deer went 50 yards.

19-Oct-14

CHUCK------>

Both of these deer were killed yesterday, using a 100 grain Slick Trick Magnum.

Neither deer went 50 yards.

19-Oct-14
Dang. Will look into those slick tricks.

19-Oct-14

grizzlyadam's embedded Photo

19-Oct-14

19-Oct-14

• Sitka Gear