Dr. Deer 14-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 15-Oct-14
Heartshot 16-Oct-14
bb 16-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 16-Oct-14
notme 16-Oct-14
bb 16-Oct-14
13-Oct-14
Hey guys I did warn you there would be some dumb ones. 1) how bad is chewing tabacco for scent control? 2) is there any food I can snack on while hunting that won't hurt my chances?

13-Oct-14
You can snack on anything... But I'd suggest stuff that's quiet. For example, candy and granola bars have loud wrappers. Try a banana or apples or dates or jerky. Bring some scent free wipes to get any goo off your hands, and put the food in zipper bag's so you can quietly open it, and have a place to put the core of an apple or what not.

I dont know that chewing tobacco is bad for scent control. But Ill be "that guy" and say if your worried about it for that reason it's the wrong reason. Ditch it, because your family loves you.

I'm not trying to be a dink - which is how comments like that come across on a web forum. Just trying to honestly answer your question.

13-Oct-14
mixem both with deer poop and youll be fine..lol ;)

13-Oct-14
I made a suit of chewing tabaco once but it only lasted until the first rain. I don't recomend it. Buy a deer piss bottle and don't waste your money of tabaco scents. If you still decide on chewing tabaco you'll be fine as long as you don't spit it out.

I like PB&J sandwiches while on the tree stand. Lots of energy in a small quiet package and the peanut smell will not hurt you. I like apples, pears and bananas as well. I hear hot tea is better than coffee.

13-Oct-14
Bring snacks that deer like to eat too... My buddys went to southern ohio last year and the dip argument came up with the guides..some guys won't do it some guys will..... I have friends that do..can't be worse then the guys that smoke in a tree!

13-Oct-14
Find the right wind direction and eat a buffet.

13-Oct-14
Eat before you go .I used to bring a lunch hot soup the works what happens is when your eating the deer come .Tabaco stop for your own good .STEVE

13-Oct-14
Eat before you go .I used to bring a lunch hot soup the works what happens is when your eating the deer come .Tabaco stop for your own good .STEVE

13-Oct-14
My wife works for the American Cancer Society, so I was thinking of sending you some literature on what chew looks like in 20-30 years when they have to remove your lower jaw. But you're a big boy, so you decide.

As for what to eat around this time of year, all I bring is a candy bar, apple and maybe a peanut butter sandwich along with something to drink. In really cold weather I bring hot soup.

FYI - go to youtube and search "peanut butter attract deer". Guys nail the lid to a tree, cut the bottom off the jar and screw it back onto the lid for a DIY deer bait. The deer love it, so bring an extra sandwich or two and share.

See, no stupid questions but there sure are some stupid answers :)

Good luck with the hunt.

13-Oct-14
i wonder what ill get if i nailed a 20 and a bag of crank to a tree ?

13-Oct-14
Don't chew tobacco and don't eat snacks while hunting. You can wait until you get out of the woods to do those things.

13-Oct-14
I would rather nail a stack of singles and a 5th of bourbon to the tree. I have a seat on my tree stand and a lap sooooo,,,,,,

Oh yeah, and that will help keep you warm too. :)

Grizzly - you're mean. Do you work for the government? :)

13-Oct-14
I would like to start off by saying... Hi my name is Kevin and I'm addicted to chewing tobacco! Not proud of the addiction but it is what it is. If you new me, you would know that I chew and I always have chew in my mouth... Except in the woods! Doesn't matter if I do a all day sit I don't leave it at the car so I'm not even tempted to chew. Do I want to? Absolutely!!! Haha when I get back to the car it's the first thing I grab but I refuse to chew while in stand

13-Oct-14
What if you dip Skoal apple........ Deer like apples..

13-Oct-14
Only if you swallow it when you're done, no spitting.

I don't mean to sound condescending (which means I WILL), but how do you get into chewing? I never smoked a cigarette in my life, never saw anything good in it, so I wonder how you decide to chew it instead of lighting it on fire and burning it??

One of our daughters smokes (she says she quit 2 weeks ago, we'll see) and neither my wife or I smoke, so I asked her the same question - WHY? She said because other cool kids were doing it when she started.

So now that she's a 32 yr old adult I ask her "All of the cool kids are gone, so what's you're excuse now?" She just calls me a jerk and walks away.

I know, she's right!

13-Oct-14
I dont know if your daughter is right Bigbuckbob... If you didn't do that, you really would be a jerk. You have her best at heart, it's a good thing.

13-Oct-14
Bob, I started whenI was 13 and now I dip about 2 cans a day which is about 4 packs of cigerates a day. I started because I wanted to be like my dad and grand dad. Now here I am 15 years later ,And I can't stop, I've probably tried quiting atleast a dozen times it never last more than a few weeks

13-Oct-14
At $4 tin, 2 tins a day thats $2920 in a year. That could be a nice out of state hunt.

13-Oct-14
I say chew away. If they smell the tobacco, they have smelled you already. I lease 3 tobacco farms for hunting in Kentucky, its used for the chewing industry. Doesn't seem to bother them!

13-Oct-14
Wintergreen I never spooked a deer with and even dropped a tin and had a doe sniffing the can under my tree and continued to feed afterwords. but I agree quit it I've been trying for a few months now and know it's tuff.

13-Oct-14
When I was in Basic Training, the Drill Sargent caught one kid chewing Coppenhagen. The DI made him put the whole can in his mouth and wouldn't let him spit, until he puked. Stopped him from chewing for the rest of Boot Camp. I started while I was in High School playing baseball. I quit when I was 20 and realized how stupid it looked, smelled and cost.

13-Oct-14
$2920 would be a nice 401 k

13-Oct-14
bro im with you. I dip and I just chew nicotin gum while on stand .I smoked for yrs quit and then this kid at work was dipping and I use to dip during baseball in high school so I tried a lip and here I am 6 yrs later and it way hard to quit dip then cigs. so I hope that helps the gum seems to work for me.deer that come in don't seem to get spooked .

13-Oct-14
My oldest daughter quit by going to a hypnotist. The reason she tried the hypnotist is because my mother quit after going to one, and it worked for my daughter as well.

Give it a try. It only costs about months worth of dip, so your return on investment is realized in just one month. I would hate to lose another hunter, our ranks are shrinking already.

13-Oct-14
ct fought the hardest to get tobacco money but always ranks last in helping people quit..general fund,..tax when you buy tax when you try to stop..i do 1 1/2-2 pks a day. $8 each...i was able to quit cold turkey everything that could be put into a body( except riding the horse screw that ) but i cant shake this monkey...mini quits..ive gone for weeks then it hits me again..but each time its longer..i know eventualy ill win...now back to stupidity!!!

13-Oct-14
I started chewing after high school 5 years ago. I of a sample pack of the camel snus spotless pouches for free and I did that for a while because I like the minty flavor and then after a while I wanted to try a different flavor but they did not make them in different flavors. I wanted a different flavor so I bought regular long cut and it was all down hill from there

13-Oct-14
I started chewing after high school 5 years ago. I of a sample pack of the camel snus spotless pouches for free and I did that for a while because I like the minty flavor and then after a while I wanted to try a different flavor but they did not make them in different flavors. I wanted a different flavor so I bought regular long cut and it was all down hill from there

14-Oct-14
I have scrubbed on a cancer of the tongue case, and radical neck dissection. Chewing tobacco causes that type of cancer. Once you have seen that, you will never dip again.

15-Oct-14
It really bothers me to see young people smoking, dipping, chewing, whatever when it comes to tobacco. Volunteering for the cancer society I've seen such sad stories and when you hear that many of them are avoidable you feel a sense of anger that anyone would do that to themselves AND the people that love them.

Please guys, try to quit. Make believe that you're chasing a B&C buck and think about how hard you would work to get him,.....now apply the same resolve to quitting, if not for yourself then for the people that love you.

Good luck.

16-Oct-14
Still trying to quit myself been smoking on and off for 20 yrs or so quit for 2 yrs went back to it quit one time for 4 yrs went back to it and many small time periods in between sooner or later I'll put them down for good

16-Oct-14
"1) how bad is chewing tabacco for scent control? "

I haven't read all the answers here but I can remember years ago there was a guy that had a great big buck in a pen, he was very tame. I went over there one day and the owner had snuff in his pocket and the deer would try everything to get at the snuff. Owner finally would open the tin and let the deer eat some, apparently the deer loved to eat it. So...it may be a good attractant.

16-Oct-14
bb

all you have to do is find a wild deer that's also addicted to snuff and you got something there.

Maybe if some of you guys with private land planted some crops that would make the deer really happy ;) they would be just laying around in the stuff waiting for you to show up with your bow.

notme - got any ideas on what to plant???

16-Oct-14
not me dude im out of the herbatious trades...lol

16-Oct-14
He also liked pasta, pasta and snuff. I suppose you could fill your pockets with tomato sauce and snuff before you climb in your stand.

• Sitka Gear