Bourbonator 14-Oct-14
Jeff Durnell 15-Oct-14
Flintknocker 15-Oct-14
saltgrassarcher 15-Oct-14
Flintknocker 15-Oct-14
13-Oct-14

saltgrassarcher's embedded Photo
saltgrassarcher's embedded Photo
Took a walk among the Old Ones today. Out of the sand, a true arrow point was peeking out at me. I'll drop it in my pocket this evening before going to my stand. In a way, his Spirit will be with me on my hunt. Whether I kill a deer or not doesn't really matter, its just the thought I will be hunting where he did so many years ago.

John

13-Oct-14
"Whether I kill a deer or not doesn't really matter, its just the thought I will be hunting where(how and why) he did so many years ago."

My hunting... innocently, shamelessly, and etirely revealed... right there. Thank you.

I've carred such 'historical' and sentimental pieces for decades. I used to think they were 'good luck'. Now I think they simply 'connect us'... to much... everything?

p.s. at first glance, due to its size, it appears that point could be a bird point... not anything that would have been intended for deer and such as it were... but... its proportions tells me that it was once bigger, wider, heavier, etc... a good solid find though... likely thousands of years old. Ed would know more.

Very... very cool.

13-Oct-14
Sure don't look like those Rage heads I hear so much about!:))

Nice find!

13-Oct-14
What's a Raghead?

13-Oct-14
Some people might say the point didn't bring me luck, as I did not make a kill.....could have, but chose not to. Two shots were offered up, I just sat and watched them as they unraveled the mystery of where I was. They eventually were successful, not sure of themselves though as they didn't stomp or snort, just eased on out....

At 73, its just nice to be able to climb the tree and get to enjoy the time in the woods.

13-Oct-14
I also carry Native American artifacts with me on my hunts, I enjoy searching for them near my home, I live near French creek and there were many setelments around here for thousands of years before I started to consider this my hunting grounds, my home. Like Jeff at first I thought they might bring me some sort of luck, maybe they do but it is more about that connection that they had to this area, the place that they called home during the warmer months. We have that in common, we respect the land and we love this place enough to choose to call it home. They had to live off this land to survive, I don't but I try to as best I can by hunting, fishing and gardening, I need to get into doing more gathering of mushrooms and berries and such in the future, I'll work on that.

Mike

13-Oct-14
Mike, ya need to trash that wheel bow... Just ask Jeff.. LMFAO :)

14-Oct-14
RC....Never ; )

14-Oct-14
That broadhead is missing the rubber o-ring! ;-)

14-Oct-14
A hole through the lungs is a whole through the lungs. And remember, they could track a flea across rock. That said...one never knows exactly what any archaic piece's intent and use was for the one who left it there, for whatever reason. I will honestly and humbly submit that this is my 'studied' opinion, not accepted current archaeological mainstream. It is merely observation based on a very long experience using stone tools to do what one would do with a myriad of other, more 'modern' devices to accomplish any given 'chore'.

And, could not agree more with the esoteric musings of those who 'discover' and honor such a piece...simply for what it was...and still is :)

ed

14-Oct-14
My train of thought....... If I were to find a usable flint head. It would get mounted on a viburnum shaft and used. If I were to truly honor those before me, the guy that left it for the finder, then I'd use the dang thing. Personally after I used it, I'd most likely put it back where I found it then.

If you're gonna carry stuff for mojo git yerself a medicine bag. They're easy to make... Ask Ed:)

14-Oct-14
Brother Hajas, I've posted on a couple threads here lately. Mostly due to the undeniable urge to be among 'my people' at this time of year ;) Each season I find it more and more difficult to relate to the 'how it's done NOW crowd, and find myself completely BAFFLED as to why they'd want to?? The further technology 'advances' the further I re-trench. And thus, the slower I goes..and the more incredible relationships in the natural world I discover as a result. The older I get, my eyesight isn't quite what it was, and although my hearing is still quite spectacular in a remote setting..anywhere else I hear crickets, peepers, and kaytdids...year round :) (which ain't all that bad, if ya think about it ;) I can hardly believe I missed SOOO much as a younger stud ;) Did you know every single mushroom species has it's own hosting insect?? Just like flowers or trees. Or practically anything else alive. You always 'post' well..and always give pause to think even a bit deeper. Thank you :)

ed

14-Oct-14
.........and there you have it. :)

14-Oct-14
Priceless

14-Oct-14
Tree Rat, never say never. Step into the light!!!! RC will lead the way! :)

15-Oct-14
Dale, I understand your reasoning, but I never reused a head that I found because I felt they weren't sharp enough... perhaps others would be? I suspect hundreds or thousands of years in the dirt, water, and freezing and thawing left their edges dull... and I won't shoot a critter with a dull head. I've seen and handled a few of Ed's hunt worthy stone heads, so that's what I use as a 'sharp reference' :^)

I did once try to pressure flake a new, sharp edge onto an ancient head I found so that I could use it, but it didn't 'work' well... due to the patina perhaps? so I gave up rather than ruin the head.

15-Oct-14
Just noticed the old guy missed something really important in this thread ;) If ya'll wanna know the real story on that point, ask the man who started the thread. He'll know more about the topic than I ever will.... :) :)

15-Oct-14
I don't think so Brother !!!

Have a bowl sitting on the pie safe where I keep several nice points, along with one that Ed made for me. Without fail a visitor will say "Oh, arrowheads !!" And when they reach in, which one do they pick up ?? You got it....

Ed, if you can beat a Native American .... I'm not gonna contest your wisdom :):):):):)

15-Oct-14
Aw shucks, John. They had a real good 'system' didn't they ? Gotta dollar says theirs' will have outlasted by a coupla dozen centuries. And if yer hitting the websites...I've got an IM hanging on your system..I think. I never see your addy on my "presently on-line list anymore??

• Sitka Gear