Sitka Gear
Wolf Hunt, Earn an Elk
Idaho
Contributors to this thread:
ndbuck09 14-Oct-14
AwHunt73 14-Oct-14
gpbizzle 16-Oct-14
14-Oct-14
I have recently (August) moved to Idaho from Indiana. I had a Montana Archery Elk tag from before i knew i was moving to Idaho and have made the drive from Boise to Bozeman every weekend from Labor Day (scouting) to the end of September except for when I spent 9 days hunting with my buddy and covered two weekends.

After a couple close calls, I think i am done doing that drive for elk this year but I still want to keep hunting something but I have to wait 6 months for residency in Idaho so Elk/deer are pretty much off limits after all the gas i burned going to montana. The cheapest tag for non-residents is a Wolf tag so I am going to buy one of those and get after it. I know people don't give away their spots for Elk and the like but i was curious if anyone has seen areas here in Idaho with higher densities of wolves where a guy could actually have a shot at pulling the trigger on one? I've heard that the area around Stanley is an original release site but does anyone have any real world sighting/experience to back this up?

Much appreciated for a guy looking to earn his elk tag for next year...

14-Oct-14
I know there are lots of guys that have ran into them up here in the panhandle, but I have not seen any.

16-Oct-14
There are still wolves around Stanley. A buddy ran one over south of Stanley on 75 this fall. I've heard of another sighting along the highway near Decker Flats. You might also check at the top of the East Fork of the Salmon. I hear there have been a lot of sightings up there this year.

As the game moves down once the snow sticks just find the game and look for wolf tracks in the snow. They do move a lot though so just because you saw tracks does not mean they are in the immediate area.

• Sitka Gear