Bigwoods42 15-Oct-14
SwampHills 15-Oct-14
Novemberforever 15-Oct-14
mcherman 15-Oct-14
WausauDug 17-Oct-14
14-Oct-14
I use it extensively for fishing.

14-Oct-14
Thanks, I am checking this app out. I've been meaning to look for a mapping application that allows me to set waypoints (which this does). Before I was just using Google Maps, which is ok to see where I'm at, but doesn't let me mark places for future reference, etc. I wonder why Bing doesn't zoom in to Bird's Eye (the really detailed close up view that is available on the web). I have been able to find the exact tree I sat in -- the detail is pretty amazing.

15-Oct-14
Check out Onxmaps. It is pricey...$30 subscription for Iphone or Android but is the best I have found so far. It is good if you hunt a lot of public ground. It shows property boundaries with owners names and what kind of property it is along with the standard GPS and marking waypoint functions.

15-Oct-14

Bigwoods42's embedded Photo
Bigwoods42's embedded Photo
You should also check out Antler Insanity. It has some great features such as allowing you to make notes for each stand, mark tone of stand locations, plot all stands on same screen, walk to gps features but the one I like best is provide wind direction. Obviously you're going to check that on your own anyways, but its a nice feature. That said it cannot differentiate wind from multiple locations as it is likely pulling its wind data from the closest weather transmitting site. Cool and free.

15-Oct-14
I used to use a free app called gps essentials. Ruined a phone and tried installing it on new phone. Seems the updated version lacks the features I liked to use. I'll have to check out viewranger. Looks like it has a lot of the same features as my old app.

15-Oct-14
Cool app. So I take it no one here is joining ltljimmy's revolution?

15-Oct-14
Here are 2 apps that I've been playing with - HuntStand Lite & Hunter's Log. Both are free & are worth a look.

I like HuntStand's tie into the local weather for wind directions, stand & camera locations, & ability to use mapping features while offline.

Hunter's Log has a unique feature called Theolite. It allows you to to take pictures of your location. It, in turn, time stamps the picture with GPS info. It also links an editable text file to the picture that provides you with a place to log comments, weather conditions, etc. It also has a built-in GPS tracker.

Both took some time to figure out but could prove to be quite useful.

17-Oct-14
I started w/ just two compasses, then added a custom topo map, then added a GPS. I still-hunt all gun season long always going into new areas. After having a GPS for ten years now I still plan each day w/ the map, hunt w/ the compass but I get out each night w/ the GPS. Way more quality hunting time now. Although my Dad used to say your not hunting if your not lost?

• Sitka Gear