smokey 16-Oct-14
Helgermite 16-Oct-14
smokey 16-Oct-14
smokey 16-Oct-14
live2hunt 20-Oct-14
NWO 20-Oct-14
15-Oct-14

smokey's Link
USFS is looking for input on managing roads in the Forest. Not a decision but information and input.

A little late for one District but others should be able to make it.

This is hunting related. We all use the roads whether driving,walking or dragging animals.

16-Oct-14
smokey, I will read your link.

What are the issues that need to be addressed?

What are your thoughts on these issues?

I know you are for updating the forestry plan, will this help out with some of those issues?

Thanks, BC

16-Oct-14
They have to get a handle on what roads are needed for managing the Forest. What does the public need, etc.

I prefer a mix of roads that are maintained for vehicles but to a limit. I prefer areas where I get out and walk and get away from crowds so every road dos not need to be open always. If there is a timber sale in the future the road can be reopened for time then. Roads are expensive to maintain so I would like the money spent better.

One problem though is with the current plan there are roads that are listed as open but are gated and locked. Or roads to be closed and are open. There seems to be no plan to deal with the gates.

16-Oct-14
Smokey no need to defend, this is a very important topic. These areas in the northern counties are the last of our big woods. No wheeled vehicles means no road hunters and no bags of corn. Makes for a happy Wausaudug

16-Oct-14
Wauasudug, I agree with you. I was just stating my opinion as I would hope others feel free to do even if different than mine. As long as others respect each other and not drive down others opinion it can be a good discussion. Mostly I just want others to know that here is an opportunity to express their wishes to the USFS.

16-Oct-14
I think it would be best with only a limited amount of maintained roads. In my opinion in the Florence County area, there are too many roads. I understand the need for road access for timber sales, but it would be best in my opinion if these roads were gated at other times to prevent motor vehicle access. More than once I've walked a fire / trail unimproved road a 1/2 mile or more and had someone from further in drive by in a vehicle. I now find myself spending more time in the gated or berm / rock barrier areas to prevent this.

16-Oct-14
I am glad to hear guys chiming in hear on this but it is the USFS that needs to hear you. Call, write or attend the meetings.

16-Oct-14
Another thought. There are a lot of roads closed that only go in a short ways from the main roads that once were used for camping spots by hunters before they were closed. Now there is no room for parking a camper at these spots. Why not open these short spurs for camping? even other forest users like MT bikers, anglers,etc could use them.

When George W. was in office he directed the USFS to increase opportunities for hunters. This Forest chose to do nothing. Making these short spurs for camping would be one of those opportunities.

20-Oct-14
That is the problem. The Groups that support the one's in office now want the forest's and animal's to be a picture to view only, not to use or disturb in any way.

20-Oct-14
Its funny how the National Forest and County Forests are so different from one another in there managing views.

• Sitka Gear