steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
I was thinking every time you go to a different stand take a photo and post it,

15-Oct-14

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
Here are two at the same spot both have produced deer

15-Oct-14
The RedNeckStand 25ft up in the bowels of the swamplands. Bottom view: RedNeckStandbottomview photo RedneckStand.jpg

Front view: RedNeckStandfrontview photo RedNeckStand2.jpg

I must say I probably shot 75% of my deer from climber.

15-Oct-14
Steve what spots that?

15-Oct-14

grizzlyadam's embedded Photo
grizzlyadam's embedded Photo
The permanent, shot more deer out of this stand than any other.

15-Oct-14

hunter16's embedded Photo
Up in one of my state land spots

15-Oct-14

15-Oct-14

Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
This lone wolf platform is about 15' up, with four muddy sticks leading to it. There is great background cover with big branches and foliage. The big branches offer numerous places to screw in a bow hook so the bow is in front of the shooter. There is a good path to the stand to minimize brushing agains brush and leaving scent on the approach. A pull up rope is present, so scent has a chance to disperse. The rope is only handled with gloves on. The stand has a cable lock on it, and the bottom muddy step can be removed and carried in, or hidden under brush in the area.

15-Oct-14
I like that set up Dr.Deer. That photo could be a postcard or an Lone Wolf ad.

16-Oct-14
Thanks, Smoothie. Forgot one detail. I am not yet ready to convert to "lifeline" devices, except on the highest tree stands. But I do take one special precaution. I have long been aware that most falls happen getting on and getting off the platform. There is a safety tether in addition to the high one that is used while on stand. The low one is dangling with the bottom clip-to loop at the level of the platform. When my feet are stable and my head is platform high, I clip on to that lower one and complete the climb. then I convert to the upper tether, pull up my bow etc. Nearly 30 years of climbing trees and I haven't fallen all the way to the ground yet. Hopefully never will. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

16-Oct-14
Dr deer love that set up love having pines for cover to bad on the property I hunt they r close to non existent ur stand just reminds me of having pine tree cover with hall those branches etc...

16-Oct-14
What safety harness do you regularly use these days DrDeer.?

16-Oct-14
Pines are awesome, when they are properly located. They seem like a magnet for deer. Especially in the rain. I keep mindful on deciduous trees what they will look like with the leaves off. Large structure on top is much, much better than these telephone pole trees I often see stands in. That's why I have never relied heavily on climbers. Early season I prefer a mountaineering type harness by Petzl. Later it's a full body harness type from Tree Spyder. But I plan on getting one of those SOP ones when I get a chance, the one wilt lineman loops built in. My Spyders loops are poorly located (for me). Most of my big deer are killed from above so there is no doubt about the altitude advantage.

16-Oct-14

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
192" toyland, the straightest tree i could find..now if deer would actualy show up

16-Oct-14

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
or if i can get my bro in law out of my blind..lol

16-Oct-14
notme,

holy crap!! you stand in that tree? Is one of your legs shorter than the other. I'd be afraid to stand up for a shot.

16-Oct-14
it looks much much worse than it is..thats my lookin chair,for when the bucks pass by

16-Oct-14

17-Oct-14

Will's MOBILE embedded Photo
Will's MOBILE embedded Photo

Since our season starts Monday... I thought you guys would like how scenic and pretty my stand location is ;-) ha ha ha! Looking forward to posting a real stand pic next week!

17-Oct-14

Turtle504's embedded Photo
I'm with will

17-Oct-14
Turtle,

looks like if you sat down hard on that stand you'd be turned into oddly shaped french fries,....OUCH!

17-Oct-14
Hahahah. Don't do that then.

17-Oct-14

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
One I walked by to get to the next stand

17-Oct-14

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
Here I the one I am sitting in to night my best stand we call it the pine tree stand slots of bucks were shit from here from me and Dave

17-Oct-14
Shot from here big fingers and no glasses

17-Oct-14

Straight Arrow's embedded Photo
Straight Arrow's embedded Photo

17-Oct-14
Better watch you don't go to sleep in that one

17-Oct-14
Straight,

I used to love my Tree Lounge. It got stolen and I didn't replace it. Used to use it as a fixed position stand for all day sits (plus naps). I would put it in a double-trunk tree and put steps up one trunk. Then climb the other with the lounge and lock it in place. Then I'd use the steps to get in and out for the season. A big fat chain didn't stop one dickhead who wanted it bad enough. Had I caught him, he'd have left a blood trail when he went wherever dickheads go.

18-Oct-14

At a water hole, in New Mexico.

18-Oct-14

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
New stand 3 does this morning over looking reservoir

18-Oct-14
Dr. Deer, that's very clever!

Yes, Steve, it's easy to fall asleep in a TREE LOUNGER, especially if the wind is blowing.

19-Oct-14
Used to call mine "The condo". Don't have any images of the set up but will look in my journal for a picture to scan

19-Oct-14

A page from my journal. Have about 15 volumes at this point. Used to use film photography, now all digital. This spot, "George's" was large enough to gun hunt. Don't have such privilege nowadays. All bow. I had two big trees that grew close enough together that I could climb into the tree lounge (shrouded in camp material) from the tree it was in. Long before there were systems available, I had a climbing rope, 10mm with loops every ten feet or so. That way if I fell, a ten foot fall that ended long before the ground was the only hit that I would take. That stand had to be about 40' up.

19-Oct-14
Correction, 35 feet. Good thing I keep the journal, as I can tend to exaggerate!

20-Oct-14

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
1 more just inside the field

24-Oct-14

24-Oct-14
Sweet Jesus Dr Deer. If I tried to hunt that tower I'd just be a shivering, sobbing, blob in the tree covered in my own urine... Way to much altitude for this Acrophobic!

20 feet and I'm only moving if there is a deer coming... :)

If tree stands didnt work so well, I'd never leave terra firma.

24-Oct-14

Madness's embedded Photo
Madness's embedded Photo

27-Oct-14

This is the view you want FROM your stand

28-Oct-14

Multi trunk trees offer lots of outline break-up. You can draw while you are completely behind one of the trunks and then just lean out a bit to shoot. Lots of places to hang your bow too. It's particularly good if you can work it out to climb one trunk with your stand on another and step down onto the platform. Safest way in and out. The only trick is to get the installation done safely. A lineman belt is pretty much mandatory.

30-Oct-14

Garbanzo's embedded Photo
Garbanzo's embedded Photo
This was the pic of my stand before I moved it yesterday. Deer were coming into view but not to the stand. I'll take one of the new location later today.

30-Oct-14
Nice one, Garbonzo

30-Oct-14
 photo 20141028_150956.jpg

Put this one up Tuesday, sat in it this morning and got winded. I'm already considering moving it. I think it's too close to bedding area.

30-Oct-14
Way too naked for me. And I don't say that often..

30-Oct-14
I agree.

Directly behind the stand is an old overgrown mum field where the deer are bedding. Its super thick stuff with the tallest sapling about 8ft. I was thinking I'd catch them coming back from field in the food plot with treestand up 24ft. They must have came from opposite side and winded me - busted.

I like your idea of the multi-truck tree Dr.Deer. I'll be moving it Sunday. Thanks for the idea.

31-Oct-14

Smooth- Ever use those sectional climbing sticks, the ones with three steps per section? IT makes climbing trees like the forked one behind and to the left of your tree doable. If you were up there where the bifurcation of that tree is, it would offer a dang good bit of background breakup that the telephone pole does not have. I am going to look into those twisted timber stands. they advertise that they can go on anything, but are hard to set up. I can deal with difficulty setting up if it means comfort and concealment. But my stand purchasing fund is depleted for now, so just going to use what I got. 3 deer in freezer, so I am pretty much set for meat myself. Now I collect a couple to give meat to land owners that want it. Shot a five point (for the meat) and that will probably be my only buck this year.

31-Oct-14
smoothie , i like that crookedie ass one to the left or the one farther back myself..but I like strange things..lol

31-Oct-14

CTCrow's embedded Photo
CTCrow's embedded Photo
Here is one.

31-Oct-14
Dr.Deer are those Ameristep Aluminum or Steel Rapid Rails? I helped my buddy set up his hang-on with the aluminum ones which were feather light. Much better than the Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks because you have more to hold onto. They are simple and fast to set up. I can see how they would be useful with question mark shaped or multi-trunk trees. I only wish they made the straps 8ft or 10ft long for bigger trees. The area the telephone pole stand is in doesn't get pressured and rarely have I been busted by sight - its either smell or sound. However not only is that stand nakie, but too close to bedding area. I'll be moving her Sunday in the howling winds.

31-Oct-14

Dr. Deer's Link
Ameristep I think. Liking the Leverage product better lately. Fast quiet, light.

• Sitka Gear