wvbownut 17-Oct-14
wv_bowhunter 17-Oct-14
gobbler 17-Oct-14
Babysaph 17-Oct-14
Big-Otis-Jeff 17-Oct-14
Bennett2012 17-Oct-14
WV Mountaineer 19-Oct-14
16-Oct-14
I know some of you will think this is just post to stir things up and I really hope it does not. I would just like to know how many of you kill multiple bucks and if you have ever killed 3 buck in one year?

I have never killed more than 2 bucks and most years it has been just one. Most years I do kill multiple deer - normally one buck and a doe or two. The years I have killed two bucks the second has never been a smaller buck then the first.

Maybe my head is in the sand and I do not realize how often hunters kill multiple bucks or maybe it is just a reversal and some see a hunter or 2 that have done it and then the number raises somehow or maybe some people just fib a little and say they kill 3 or 2 to make it look like they are some mighty hunter. I just don't know - I think it will be interesting to see the responses.

Of course there are a few of us who I am sure there will be no surprises as to what we will say as to the numbers! LOL and I include myself in this group because I know some of you are saying here we go again! Participate if you like.....

17-Oct-14
I guess I am no expert mighty hunter because I only average one deer per year. If I did have to opportunity to shoot a second buck in the same year I probably would if the circumstances are legal. I hunt a lot of places and throughout the season it is in areas that are new to me and often times in remote areas. Therefore if a second opportunity would present itself it would not have any negative effect on the local herd.

17-Oct-14
I have killed multiple bucks and have killed 3 bucks when I rifle and mz hunted. Only bowhunt now. I could have already killed 3 bucks in Pendleton county. And 1 in Jefferson county. I got wise and just hunt for meat now in WV as all the bucks I see are small

17-Oct-14
I am sure you could have killed 3 bucks if you wanted. Your self imposed limitations of only shooting a second bigger buck bigger than your first buck will prevent that. However some guys will shoot 3 spikes

17-Oct-14
I have killed 5 bucks in a year when it was legal. All scrubs but I though I was the great white hunter.

Currently, if I want to kill two I will because it is legal to do so. However, I don't shoot deer in WV unless its a decent buck of 15 or so inches. I do hammer the does though. Try to limit out on does each year.

I know numerous people that kill two bucks a year, mainly in gun season, but two bucks are two bucks. Rarely ever are these two nice deer. Just two deer.

Where did you get your info on the percentages of people that kill multiple bucks?

17-Oct-14
I don't think you will get any real numbers from this post as this is a Bowhunting forum and the killing of multiple bucks is across 3 weapon options.

When I was younger I was a 80 pounds brown and down hunter. I did harvest multiple bucks in year. But I gave up firearms many many years ago and now on average harvest one of each.

17-Oct-14
Sundaynwv,

Info was from dnr report that I believe an outside group did. After really looking at it I really don't know about the figures. It goes on the assumption that we only have 158000 hunters in wv.

I could also kill numerous deer and bucks each year but limit myself. I actually did kill a second buck last year due to the fact the first buck I shot with the bow was stolen b4 I got to it which was about 25 to 30 minutes after I shot!

I going to try to call the dnr here in a bit and see if I can get any numbers directly from them.

17-Oct-14
I can't remember the last time I killed multiple bucks, the last 3 years I know was 1 but that don't mean by choice. I hunt with recurve only and I hunt during gun season with it. I think it is the hunters choice how many bucks he can kill as long as it is within the laws set forth. I have already passed on some small bucks this year and if the opportunity arises I will kill 3 bucks with my recurve, only if they are nice bucks and 1 of them would be during gun season. Thats the good thing about the USA, we have choices.

17-Oct-14
CG I am not interested in real numbers from this post - just interested to see how many guys on here really do it. My take on the guys who use this site is that most are pretty darn good respectable guys. I know there are a few heated moments at times - but it happens with the best of people.

17-Oct-14
Last time I killed 3 bucks was 2000

Killed 2 bucks in 2001, 2002, 2005

Didn't kill any in 2007

Every other year since 2000 I have killed 1.

I have kept a database since my first deer (1988).

17-Oct-14
On my land I try to kill bucks only if it has 3 points on one side or bigger. I usually take two sometimes three. The people around me don't follow those rules so they shoot anything with antlers. Hard to manage deer when you only have 70 acres.

17-Oct-14
I have killed three bucks 2 of the ~20 years I've been hunting. The first time was my second successful season as a youth hunter. At that time, QDM and passing deer never crossed my mind. The last time I did it was 2011, when I killed 3 8 points. The first was what I believed to be a 4 1/2 year old 110" 8 with my bow. The other two were 90-100" 8 points that were most likely 2 1/2 year olds with a gun. . Should I have let the last two walk? In terms of buck management, Yes.

Was it legal? Yes.

Did I have fun that year? Yes

Most other years have been one buck with the occasional 2 buck years in the mix. As I have matured as a person and hunter I do like seeing, hunting, and shooting bigger bucks. At the same time though, I hunt for fun and meat for my family or a family I know needs it. That is the bottom line. I always try to shoot at least one doe a year and hopefully two or three. I took advantage of the two deer a day option on 10/4 and killed two does for meat already this year. Only one archery tag left so I will be hunting for a decent buck for my area. At this time it looks like that will be a 3 1/2 year 110" 8 point. You can only plan to hunt what is in your area.

You must realize that there are many more hunters in the state than what use this site. Many are only gun hunters that were only allowed to kill bucks during the firearm season. Now that they can shoot a doe during that time in most areas, people don't realize it. I know everyone should always read the regs, but this is just how it is in my experience. Everyone out there isn't as passionate about growing big deer as some are.

Sunday, I think the work and effort you put into the Sunday hunting efforts was great. I mean no disrespect, but I don't agree the comment that said "rarely ever are these two nice deer. Just two deer." While we may not have shot the deer somebody else did, as hunters we should be happy for others if they legally had a fun, exciting hunt and our proud of their success. I think the big buck craze is hurting and taking away from the overall fun of the outdoor experience.

I hate to see someone post a picture of their deer and preface it with "not the biggest rack but.." That is obviously there because they are afraid of what somebody might say. If it makes you happy and excited, shoot it and be proud of!

17-Oct-14
Up until the last few years I routinely shot 3 bucks . Usually 2 with a bow and 1 with a rifle or muzzleloader. Usually all 3 were decent 15-16 inch 8-10 points.

I did it because it was fun, legal, and I could do it. Then I started limiting myself to 1 with a bow and 1 with a rifle. Last year I didn't shoot a single buck on my farm and had as much fun watching them as shooting them. This year , I haven't even got in stand yet.

Also, I usually kill several does a year to eat or give to someone to eat.

I can probably count on 1 hand the # of times I have hunted on my place in the last 10-15 years that I could not have shot a legal buck while hunting .

17-Oct-14
I think one of the above posts says it all. "Not everyone is interested in growing big deer". That is why it will never change.

17-Oct-14
I have killed my buck limit many, many, many times....

However, I quit about 10 years ago....I prefer to kill does now versus scrub bucks...

17-Oct-14
I haven't killed a buck in years!!! But it's by choice can normally count on seeing and being able to shoot several basket racks a year but I'm trying my best to give em a chance to grow into something decent but when you have neighbors that shoot them just because they are eating their pepper plants it's hard and depressing

19-Oct-14
Never for me. And I've killed a lot of deer. God Bless

• Sitka Gear