Old Crow 22-Oct-14
babysaph 22-Oct-14
gobbler 22-Oct-14
Old Crow 23-Oct-14
JayD 23-Oct-14
Old Crow 24-Oct-14
Babysaph 24-Oct-14
17-Oct-14
Giving up a day of bow hunting to take my granddaughter, Haylee "Termite" , hunting tomorrow, heck I love seeing her get into hunting, took her turkey hunting & squirrel hunting this year, when I say 'hunting" she's ready to go. Sure beats playing those video's.

I bought her Lifetime hunting license when she was around 8 months old, plan on taking her to a gun safety class next year. In the meantime, I'm getting her use to the outdoors and gun safety.

I'm passing on what my Dad taught my son's years ago. How many of you are taking a youth hunting tomorrow? Wishing everyone a great hunt!

17-Oct-14
I am taking both of my boys (8 and 10) squirrel and turkey hunting tomorrow. Saving deer hunting for oldest only at this point. Good luck to you and granddaughter

17-Oct-14
Good luck!

17-Oct-14
Good luck buddy.

17-Oct-14
IAm taking my son and 12 y/o nephew....And iam sure we will have a buck parade like we do every year...

Should be either sex....

Begin the popping of the corn...LOL

17-Oct-14
You can only shoot does? Didn't know that

18-Oct-14
Good luck to all. My daughters have plans tomorrow so I guess it will be when the doe season comes in next week - I believe.

18-Oct-14
First 3 deer we saw this morning were bucks....My nephew did kill a small doe ..

Wish WV would follow in KY and OH and let it be either sex

18-Oct-14
I did not hear any shots while bowhunting in Pendleton county. No deer checked I either by noon at checking station.,where are all the yute hunters?

19-Oct-14
People just cannot afford things anymore - does not matter what the activity is!

19-Oct-14
They seem to be able to afford cell phones and ear phones and video games. All about choices. I didn't think it cost anything to take a kid hunting.

19-Oct-14
I heard 3 seperate shots in different areas.

19-Oct-14
My daughter killed a nice,adult doe of the evening.

19-Oct-14
Good Sunday. Glad you guys take your kids. My dad took me.,

20-Oct-14

Big-Otis-Jeff's embedded Photo

20-Oct-14

20-Oct-14
JR - when was the last time you bought fuel for your vehicle? How often would your father have taken you to the mountain if fuel had cost so much back then? I am thankful my wife and I have good jobs but not everyone is as either fortunate or work as hard as us - I Guess. The participation in most activities is down right - how many people do you see on the golf course anymore?

Sorry but I am on a bash on the cost of living thing anymore - oldest daughter started high school this year and the cost of everything is ridiculous! Both daughters are going to a weekend leadership camp - over at Cedar Lakes I believe - $200+ for each - high school yearbook order -- $65 for one yearbook (lowest cost at that)!!! We can afford but I think how in the world do some of these parents get by. Then something as simple as a fishing or hunting excursion takes a few 20's out of your pocket! I am glad I have my own property now - only cost me some rubber off the sole's of my boots! LOL

20-Oct-14
Plus - if you look at the prices anymore it is probably cheaper to get the darn phone or games than to take the vehicle and supplies to go do anything in the outdoors anymore! It is sad.

20-Oct-14
I buy it every week and my dad would have taken me regardless. He worked 3 jobs to allow us to do those things. Fuel was high to our parents back then as well.

20-Oct-14
I see people all the time in my business make bad choices. When I was a kid I hunted with my dad and uncles using a hand me down shotgun with slugs. Kicked me to death. Never killed a deer with it either. I graduated to my uncles Jap rifle. What a piece of junk that was. No wonder we kicked their butts. LOL. Now days kids won't go unless they have the tricked out Mathews bows with all the bells and whistles. Same with rifles. Have to have the best. I see people come into my practice complain about the high cost of dental care but drive a $40,000 truck all tricked out with $8000 worth of mud tires on it when they won't even take it off road. They have cell plans that are unreal not to mention the $800 phones all the kids have. And then they have to have a new one each time a new one comes out. Again all about choices and priorities. You are lucky you can afford that but if you couldn't you would have to decide between the leadership camp or taking the kids hunting. $400 would buy a lot of gas for hunting. It is getting expensive to live but our parents had hardships as well we just didn't know about them.

20-Oct-14
I talked to a friend of the guy that owned the property where the deer was shot. The hunter had permission to hunt on his buddy's land but did not have a license. Which the landowner knew. The landowner was mad that he killed that big deer on his property which is why he turned him in. Had is been a doe or spike you would have not ever heard of this story. The landowner got mad at his buddy for killing that particular buck so he turned his buddy in. The hunter had been doing this for years but never killed a big enough buck to get caught.

20-Oct-14
When I first started gun hunting all I had was a single shot Winchester shotgun. Model 37A I think. It had to work for squirrel, grouse, rabbit , turkey, and deer. All with a single choke tube and no screw in chokes.

To help aim I took the ink cartridge out of a bic pen and taped the plastic cartridge to the top of the barrel. Not quite as good as a Leopold but worked out to about 50 yards.

So you do what you have to do.

20-Oct-14
Babysaph, you are dead on with choices and priorities!

20-Oct-14

shakyheadsabol's embedded Photo
shakyheadsabol's embedded Photo
god i feel the pain..have to order a pair of "beats" headphones for my kids. they got 75 bucks a piece for their straight A report cards and instead of some hunting or fishing stuff, they want dam headphones. But......he got it done saturday eve with a bow even though it was gun day

20-Oct-14
Gobbler you still have that shotgun? I remember those. Gosh I killed a lot of squirrels with my shotgun. Do kids hunt squirrels now? I used to get off from school and head for the woods. I could get a lot of hunting in this time of year before the time changed. I miss those days.

20-Oct-14
Yep, I still have it.

22-Oct-14
Just a note to say my granddaughter killed her first antlerless deer Saturday morning at about 8:00 a.m. . I had a blind set up for weeks , letting deer get use to it. Anyway, she missed the first deer, but she knocked the next one butt over teacup. Talk about being proud, she was tickled pink. And "Pappy" as she calls me was just as proud.

I gave her a scoped .308 New Englander Firearms rifle, several years ago. It's a short , heavy rifle, single shot break open. I had her use a rifle bipod to hold the gun up, first shot, it kicked her pretty good, (I thought maybe she wouldn't want to shoot again) but I explained to her that she needed to hold the stock tight to her shoulder and squeeze the trigger.

She did great on the 2nd shot and got her deer. She had to get her a notebook when we checked the deer in at the local 7-11, said she was going to start a hunting journal. I had previously told her , I had wished I had kept a journal, when I first started hunting years ago, I'm one proud "Pappy"!

She has the hunter blood in her, which I'm so very thankful for. And thankful I was able to share her first deer kill.

22-Oct-14
congrats old crow. Maybe I can get some lessons from her.

22-Oct-14
Good for both of you! Will make good memories.

23-Oct-14
Thanks, I told her I would take her again during the 2nd part of the split youth season December 26th and 27th. Taking a small vacation after Christmas, since I work/on call Christmas. Anyway, she put her first checking tag in her hunter journal, I told her that this would be the last year of the checking stations, and the paper checking station tag. She was on Cloud 9 and I was a little higher up, maybe Cloud 19. LOL She's one proud girl and I'm one proud Pappy. Yes, that's making of great memories.

23-Oct-14
That's what it is all about - congrats to you both!

24-Oct-14
It's something that I'll never forget. Just seeing how happy and excited she was, and the lady at the 7-11 store congratulated her for it being her 1st deer. Felt might proud to have been part of her 1st deer kill. Makes for beautiful memories that will last a lifetime.

24-Oct-14
She will never forget that you were with her and helped her.

• Sitka Gear