Contributors to this thread:
Adam C.P. 17-Oct-14
Pete-pec 17-Oct-14
BOHUNTER 17-Oct-14
Knife2sharp 17-Oct-14
Cheesehead Mike 17-Oct-14
Adam C.P. 20-Oct-14
17-Oct-14
I am going to be hunting near Denmark, WI Saturday evening and Sunday morning this weekend. I already have a doe in the freezer, so I'm only going to kill a nice buck.

With that said, I have a doe and Primos Scarface buck decoy. I'm thinking about putting out the doe decoy and doing a little grunting. I'm also thinking it might be a little early to use the buck decoy. What do you guys think about using a decoy(s) this weekend?

Thanks in advance for any advise!

17-Oct-14
I believe the rack that comes with that decoy will do you more harm than good. Possibly downsize using sheds that of a 1.5 year old? From my experience hunting with decoys, older age bucks (even though you could argue wiser and fewer) avoid confrontation with decoys. Mostly young boys come in stiff legged, hair on its end, licking their chops, and wheezing. I've had plenty of action when I used to decoy often, but only one time was it a deer north of 120 inches. Certainly the age class of deer in this area was a factor. Perhaps you have a good age structure?

Best of luck!

17-Oct-14
Use it now thru November, bucks are mixing it up right now. I've taken 3 150s with the decoy, def not too early. Place it 20 yds in front of your stand quartering towards you, good luck!

17-Oct-14
I would use the buck decoy with some rattling & grunting. The bigger bucks know the does aren't ready, and right now the young ones aren't even chasing, but you may get the attention of one with some fighting. If a good buck is in the area he may want to come in and investigate the intruders. I've never used my decoy as a doe, but now that I bought one in a grazing pose, I plan on using it during the peak of the rut in November, and possibly post rut through late season. I have a spot with a secluded pond in the woods and think it will go great there, as well as picked corn and bean fields close to bedding areas in the late season. The last two weeks of October and first week of November, I would stick with just the buck IMO. I had been using my converted Redi-Doe to buck for the last two seasons with great success on yearlings and 2.5 year old bucks on public land, but it has a really small body so I ended up buying a Carry-Lite buck decoy. I have yet to see how an older buck reacts to my setup, but I'd rather have a slightly larger decoy if one does show up. If it scares the younger bucks too much then I can go back to the smaller decoy.

17-Oct-14

Cheesehead Mike's Link
Follow my link to a thread on decoying that you might be interested in...

20-Oct-14
Thanks for all the input guys. Just an update, I decided to put my Primos Scarface decoy out Saturday night. I saw three doe, a spike and five pointer (more deer activity than normal for the land I was on). The five pointer was running one of the doe and was heading straight away from me so I gave him six or so grunts on the grunt tube and he spun right around. He proceeded to walk right under me and within 10 yards of my decoy, eventually just walking off unalarmed. Exciting times even though he wasn't the buck I'm looking for.

• Sitka Gear