SILVERADO 19-Oct-14
Dr. Deer 19-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 19-Oct-14
cuntrytocity 20-Oct-14
yukon roz 20-Oct-14
SixLomaz 20-Oct-14
Dr. Deer 20-Oct-14
18-Oct-14
I had to express this to someone that would understand. So I have scouted out a spot for well over 2 months. I have 2 trail cams at a deer trail that crosses into another trail. There is always fresh terra within a few yards of my tree I climb up. I knew I had atleast 2 deer that traveled the area every morning between sun rise and 8 am. Well my step son who I decided to take with me this morning also knew these details and after I climb all the way up into my stand I look into the shooting lane and what do I see? My dumb ass step son is also in the shooting lane. Rather than go to a tree further down then me or even just on the opposite side of the trails he set up in front of me! Needless to say I was pretty mad so and he saw nothing wrong with his actions. At this point the sun a as coming up and instead of climb down and than up another tree I decided not to make too much noise and spook them so I left knowing I would be able to try again Monday. My step son saw the deer and took a shot no one would have, rushed it completely and missed both deer. So long story short I posted it here knowing someone would understand my pain so atleast I feel some what better

18-Oct-14
Jarehrig you need to put a different perspective on the situation. He respects your abilities as a mentor and hunter. He is willing to spend time with you. You should have turned it I to a video hunt. It's exciting to whiteness a friend arrow a deer.

18-Oct-14

Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
You didn't say, so I will ask, is the boy an experienced hunter? How many years,how many kills? The inexperienced tend to set up too close, shoot too quickly and take shots at poorly positioned, walking or far away deer.

If he's a vet, he has no excuse and you may want to let him hunt somewhere else. But sharing hunts is a hoot. I love it and have done it hundreds of times. There is nothing like helping someone get their first deer, or even one of the first dozen. Watching the pride, the confidence grow, it's one of the most rewarding things about hunting.

I took someone and watched them miss twice before hitting a deer in the same sit! And they were all reasonable shots! Finally he hit his first deer and it died right near my stand. Will never forget it. He shot trad gear.

Another time, I helped a wheelie bow man get his first nice buck. He took a shot at a buck walking through thick brush at 40 yards. Walking! 40!! But I grunted to the semi spooked buck and he came right to the base of my stand for a 15 yard slam dunk shot for my partner.

Yeah, sharing hunts has it's ups and downs but sharing them with fellow hunters is worth it in the end. Trying to work with professional cameramen who are not hunters sucks. I have done that, and will never do that again. Don't know what I was thinking. But with friends and fellow hunters, even those I don't know well, is golden.

18-Oct-14
Strange story

18-Oct-14
Well said Dr. Deer

18-Oct-14
Have a talk with his biological father.

18-Oct-14
as a former step farther , best i can say is talk to him as a bud..any other way could turn him agaist you..

18-Oct-14
You should have walked to him the tree you wanted him to set up in. Made sure he was safe and the exited to your tree.

I do this with my son every single time out. He's 15 now. And when I'm hunting with him, it's all about his hunt, not mine.

How old is your step son and how long have you two been hunting together?

18-Oct-14
I always gave my son the best stand hoping he would shoot the biggest deer it worked for me turned out to be a great young man and excellent hunter .

18-Oct-14
After reading these comments I relize I could have handled it better I probably shouldn't have been so selfish.

18-Oct-14
It was your decision to take him out with you. You can't get too heated at him, seems like you could have layed out a game plan and some ground rules a bit clearer. Give it another try.

18-Oct-14
Jarehrig,

You are a good man to say that out loud. So teach the kid right from wrong and I'm sure you'll will have a great time together. Remember young blood is also good for dragging out deer!! :)

19-Oct-14
Cut the kid a break and help him learn from his mistakes. Also recognize that he may have a handle or periodically visit this website and this thread in particular, so publicly humiliating him isn't doing you any favors. Your follow up comment is mature and respectful.

19-Oct-14
Is that a tree stand "selfie"?

19-Oct-14
Just curious as to how you both were able climb so close without knowing it. Never the less, things happen its a hunt enjoy it the positives the negatives they all beat working. It's great that you are spending time together, getting a deer is an added bonus try to remember that. Mistakes happen and we learn from them. I'm sure that you will both discuss where you will be hunting in the future. Good luck and I wish you both many great upcoming hunts together.

19-Oct-14
Jarerhig, an apology goes a long way. We are all every passionate and emotional about hunting. Maybe offer to try to film his hunt sometime. Even with an iPhone. If something great goes down, he well be grateful to you forever.

19-Oct-14
Jarehig,

I think you already see a better side to the situation, so I don't want to pile on.

I have 2 daughters and would have loved if one of them showed enough interest in hunting to come out with me, even if they did bust my hunt. I can always get another deer another time, but I may never get another time to share the sport I love with someone I love!

Give him a hug, and use the opportunity to teach, not to lecture and hurt. He we always remember you for showing him the ropes.

Good luck.

20-Oct-14
Admitting to a mistake shows true character and having made a few myself along the way, what parent hasn't, I tip my hat to you.

20-Oct-14
I wish my step showed any interest in hunting or fishing .He never did and now I wish I played his computer games with him,but you can't go back so please make up and enjoy your time together before its to late!!

20-Oct-14
Relax ... there is a good reason why it is called hunting and not killing ... maybe he was afraid of dark and/or strongly motivated to connect that day. Either way YOU took him so he is your guest no matter what happens. Be nice to others so that good things will come your way.

My own statement:

==> In life it is best to leave footprints others can follow rather than stains others will avoid. <==

Since last year I am mentoring someone into archery hunting. I always place him in the best position to make it easy and help build confidence. I always walk him to the tree and stay there until he is up and ready. This year so far he got busted 3 times for moving too soon. Every time he blamed himself I encouraged him and explained the importance of sitting still waiting for the right moment to move and to take the shot. Last sit he did take a good shot and recovered a doe within 40 yards. He did the cleaning and I helped with butchering. He is learning and I am so proud even though we are not related in any way.

20-Oct-14
Nice Six-

You get what you give.

• Sitka Gear