Kman43 18-Oct-14
trucker 18-Oct-14
voodoochile 18-Oct-14
live2hunt 19-Oct-14
JD 19-Oct-14
Helgermite 20-Oct-14
Dampland 20-Oct-14
18-Oct-14
I came to this site about 2 weeks ago looking for advice, which I have received some. I used to bow hunt as a kid and I am just getting back into it (I am in my late 20's if that matters). I didn't realize just how much I missed it. However, I just find it utterly confusing/sad what these posts turn into. I'm all about debate, but let's debate tactics and useful bow hunting tips. I spend too much time wading through the useless threads. It reminds me of high school girls with all the bickering. Alright, time to get off my soap box.

Does anyone use a bow that is 10+ years old? If so, why do you continue to use it over newer technology?

18-Oct-14

HunterR's Link
Yes this forum has turned to crap, just a few old guys whining about crossbows, a few other guys holding grudges from years ago, a couple of guys posting as 2-3 different people, yep, crap. That said, go to the above linked forum for info, hunting chat, basically a bunch of "normal" people with the common bond of hunting deer with a bow. I post over there quite frequently, I swing by here now and then just to make sure it's the same crap and that I'm not missing anything good, and usually I'm not.

And yes I do use a 10+ year old bow, in addition to a 2 year old bow, just because I can. Both compounds, just depends on the mood, I'd say 80%+ of the time I use the newer one. Enjoy your adventures back into the bowhunting world, and good luck to you in the field.

18-Oct-14

KOWZDEER's MOBILE embedded Photo
KOWZDEER's MOBILE embedded Photo

Yep. new to me in 2003-04.

The bow is more accurate than i will ever be able to shoot it.

18-Oct-14
What?? You expect all these experts to give away their secrets???

See ya.

18-Oct-14
Buck Suicide,

I shoot a Mathews Q2 I purchased in 2000 for about $600. I've shot deer, bear, and all five sub-species of Meleagris gallopavo with it here in the Unites States. It's a fine reliable bow and I enjoy shooting it. A new bow just costs too much nowadays. To me, buying a new bow every year just to have the latest and greatest equipment is like divorcing a good and loving wife just to get a younger one. Just makes no sense and costs a lot of money.

18-Oct-14
My Mathews Legacy is 12 years old. I still use it because it keeps killing deer. I can afford something new but am attached to this one.

18-Oct-14
I'm in the same position as HunterR. I know my old one like the back of my hand. I'm better at judging distances with the feel of my old one, if that makes sense. What matters is if your comfortable. If it feels good, do it. Also thanks HunterR for the other link. This place needs to be revised, It's a shame these people think it's all about them!

18-Oct-14
I have a Bear Kodiak that was built in 1967

19-Oct-14
I still shoot my hoyt aspen that's 14 years old. Next year planning on shooting my Browning Nomad recurve that's 40+ years old. Anything your comfortable with and is in good condition at or above 45 lbs will kill a deer no problem. The broadhead is the deciding factor.

19-Oct-14

JD's Link
Might want to check out the Whitetail forum or the equipment forum instead.

20-Oct-14
Still shooting a Martin Cougar Magnum. It is still effective out to 20 yards which is plenty far for me and why I love bowhunting. Somehow an animal shot at 45+ yards loses some of the magic compared to 10-20 yards. Someday I will be forced to get something newer, but for now this gets the job done!

20-Oct-14
I hunt with a Parker EZ draw, that I bought in 2003. I've killed about 30 deer with it over the last decade +, so I see no need to replace it at this time. Though I did have to replace my 10 year old trufire release this season.

• Sitka Gear