vmthtr 18-Oct-14
FRD. 567 18-Oct-14
Dampland 21-Oct-14
10orbetter 21-Oct-14
Bow Crazy 21-Oct-14
18-Oct-14

vmthtr's embedded Photo
vmthtr's embedded Photo
Shot over a nice buck today. How long till he may come back? Hard to tell right?

18-Oct-14
Depends on how he left. Was he on edge before you shot, did he bound a little ways and stop look around confused, did he go a ways then stop and blow/ walk stiff legged away? Ya never know...equipment issue of buck fever?

18-Oct-14
Had my HHA slider set on wrong yardage and shot over. Had to rush as he came in downwind and was three steps from my scent line. He ran hard as far as I could see him into the woods, 30 yards or so. He was not on edge before shot, just walking and eating. Hunting edge of cut soybean field with lots of dropped beans from combine.

18-Oct-14
That is the drawback of slider single pins. Don't get me wrong I really like my HHA sights. I have had them set wrong a number of times target shooting from one day to the next. Part of my pre hunt check list is to check the slider setting, so far I have not forgotten. As far as the buck. Who the heck know's. It has been my experience that different bucks react diff. to being spooked. It is generally not good but you never know for sure. Monitor your trail cams. and adjust from there.

21-Oct-14
Another example of why I will never use an adjustable single pin sight. I hear way too many stories of the shooter forgeting to adjust the distance.

Regarding the buck, it is really hard to tell. If he did not see/wind you, then there is a chance he will be back, but the fact he ran off fast, instead of bounding/trotting off, indicates to me, that he was big time scared, and I believe that will make an impression on him, meaning he might avoid the area in the future.

21-Oct-14
I would either move that stand or change stands if that is the buck you have your heart set on. IMO, that stand is dead for that buck.

I shoot single pin and would not shoot any other. Use what you are comfortable with. Missing is 99% the shooter, and 1% equipment, if that. Deer don't care what you shoot them with. Remember, target, spot, release , and hold. That is what I tell myself each time. To help judge distance now that my eyes are not what they used to be, I place an old arrow at 30 yards and 40 yards. I do this at the beginning of the season to eliminate the chance of a deer spooking.

Don't fret too much, stay focussed and you will get him. He won the first encounter, now you go kick his ass in the second encounter. That is what makes bow hunting so great.

21-Oct-14
My thoughts, if you feel the deer didn't know a human caused him to flee, he will be back in no time. Deer, I would think, get spooked and don't know the source a lot, same as turkeys.

I had an HHA sight and always kept it at 15 yards. It was good from 10 to 20. Whenever I adjusted while hunting I always moved back to 15 yards. Made it a habit, same as practicing over the summer months.

Just my thoughts, BC

• Sitka Gear