JDW 25-Oct-14
Babysaph 25-Oct-14
Limbhanger 25-Oct-14
Babysaph 26-Oct-14
Jim Casto Jr 26-Oct-14
Limbhanger 26-Oct-14
Babysaph 26-Oct-14
18-Oct-14
Here is another one who tried to beat the system and his need for attention, get him bustedhttp://wvmetronews.com/2014/10/18/massive-grant- county-buck-killed-illegally/

Also shows WV can grow some nice mature deer.

18-Oct-14

gobbler's Link
This makes it easier.

That's another 2500.00 I helped add to the DNR bank account. Now he has to pay over 2700.00 instead of a 25.00 license. Plus he loses a trophy of a lifetime. That is about as stupid as you can get.

19-Oct-14
Thanks gobbler. And yes I can not figure people like this out. He got legal permission to hunt. He was hunting during season and as far as we know during legal light. But he doesn't buy a license?

19-Oct-14
That's crazy... If I understood right, the guy had permission to be on the property , killed the deer with a bow and arrow but doesn't have a license? What kind of idiot puts there self in that situation?? Thanks for your envolvement with getting theses fines Gobbler

19-Oct-14
And how did they prove where he killed the deer unless he admitted to it?

19-Oct-14
Looks like he fessed up....

19-Oct-14
That's what I figured.

20-Oct-14
I was on FB yesterday for a few minutes and saw the article posted in the Eastern Panhandle Outdoors site. There were quite a few comments about how the guy was being railroaded and the fines to extreme of all things! Could not believe it - makes me think now that there are too many people claiming landowner priveledges when they do not have them!

I tell you something - I have always tried to look at the positive more so then the negative side of things but anymore it makes me wonder!

I use my landowner priveledge whenever I hunt on my land and turn the deer in as landowner kill. But each year I get my extra tags to go with lifetime licenses and if I go somewhere and get a deer I turn it in on them - and I realize that they are not seperate and the kills overlap with each way. I guess I could just use the license all the time but I check it in as landowner just for the data part of it and think it may help with research in someway.

I really would not have felt like things were going more south about this - if it was just the guy doing this and then having to pay the piper for his mistake but seeing the number of people saying that the penalizing side of it was over-reaching just has me perplexed.

20-Oct-14
They probably showed him the pictures of the buck. With the unique features there is no way he could deny it.

20-Oct-14
You are right gobble but in court there is no way they could say that deer wasn't killed on his property. 40 miles or not. I guess that is the attorney in me. He was stupid either way. I have never used a landowner permit. Didn't know I could til last year. You are only allowed so many deer anyway. Landowner of not. I always buy my extra tags.

21-Oct-14
Does anyone think this may have gotten by if he had checked it in via phone? I believe I heard he was posting pics on facebook but checking a brute like this in at "Pappies Quick Stop" always draws a crowd. Technology has made it easier to catch people who choose to break laws. Ask some Morgantown students here in a couple of days when they get expelled.

James

21-Oct-14
Just like most people get caught stealing from stores they got the money in their pocket to buy it but choose not to they get slapped on the wrist and told they shouldn't do it no more if they would make stricter punishments for stuff I believe a lot if it would stop

21-Oct-14
Good point mudflap. People are dumb

21-Oct-14
I think had he not posted it to FB, he probably would get away with it. Who knows. He could have been doing this for years and just because it was such a big deer that he got caught. I don't think recheck would make a difference in this case.

21-Oct-14
Example of landowner privilege abused. But even more egregious is checking as landowner while not owning any land.....or fitting within definition of landowner.

The new check in system explanation says landowners and license holders will be assigned a permanent ID. I wonder if you have to prove land ownership to be assigned ID?

23-Oct-14
What's worse it was rifle killed. The guy gets dumber all the time.

23-Oct-14
Was it rifle killed?

23-Oct-14
Yep. But he punched an arrow over the wound. Lol

23-Oct-14
Yep. But he punched an arrow over the wound. Lol

25-Oct-14
The article I just read said it was killed with a bow. Where did you read/ hear it was shot with a gun?

25-Oct-14
No where in the citations listed does it say anything about a rifle kill? Guy is definitely in the wrong but I didn't hear or read it was shot with a rifle. Are there new charges pending?

25-Oct-14
His best friend told me.

25-Oct-14
 ”I’m the guy that killed the buck. I’m not hiding from anyone. Was bow season in?..yes. Was I hunting on private property with permission?.. yes. Did I shoot the buck?.. you bet. Was I aware I needed a class Q endorsed license?.. nope, never heard of it.. I’m     good to go now. Did I know I was posting an illegal deer? Nope..did I call DNR to see if they could score it? Yes..they said January. Bottom line, ignorance is no excuse for not knowing or understanding the rules of hunting. I have no ill feelings towards the     DNR whatsoever. It’s their job..so i took my medicine and paid the tickets.”

His statement I found. So he bought a license so now he can kill one on the license? Your thoughts.

26-Oct-14
Huh?

26-Oct-14
I don't know either Dr. J.R., but it looks as though he's paralyzed and shot the deer with something (bow, crossbow or gun) from a motor vehicle, and didn't know he needed a Q license.

I'm really glad he doesn't have any "ill feelings towards the DNR whatsoever."

Most thieves tend to get angry with the folks that catch them, so we really need to give him credit, huh?.

Gee Whiz!

26-Oct-14
PETERSBURG, W.Va. – A Mineral County man was convicted and paid a total of $3,327.25 for four citations stemming from the killing of an 11 point buck earlier this month.

Alvin Pearce, 53, of Keyser, was assessed $50.75 fine and $160.25 court costs for illegal possession of wildlife.  He was fined $75.75 for hunting without a license along with $160.25 in court costs.  The violation of falsifying a check tag resulted in a fine of $20.00 and $160.25 in court costs.  Finally, Pearce paid $2,700.00 in replacement costs for the deer.  The confiscated rack had a 161 5/8 green score through the Pope and Young scoring system. ”I’m the guy that killed the buck. I’m not hiding from anyone. Was bow season in?..yes. Was I hunting on private property with permission?.. yes. Did I shoot the buck?.. you bet. Was I aware I needed a class Q endorsed license?.. nope, never heard of it.. I’m     good to go now. Did I know I was posting an illegal deer? Nope..did I call DNR to see if they could score it? Yes..they said January. Bottom line, ignorance is no excuse for not knowing or understanding the rules of hunting. I have no ill feelings towards the     DNR whatsoever. It’s their job..so i took my medicine and paid the tickets.”

26-Oct-14
Lol

• Sitka Gear