George D. Stout 22-Oct-14
RC 23-Oct-14
Mule Power 23-Oct-14
roger 24-Oct-14
Jeff Durnell 24-Oct-14
19-Oct-14

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
Roger and his son Roger Jr hunted at my place last night. Jr took his second archery deer in two years with a nice lung shot at about 20 yards.

19-Oct-14

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
Good thing someone in the family knows how to shoot:)

19-Oct-14

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo

19-Oct-14
Congrats Roger Jr.!! This young man is starting to become somewhat of a Bowsite legend!! Hats off to Ol' Roger too!!

RC-thanks for posting this!! Very cool stuff!! :)

19-Oct-14
Roy, thanks for everything as usual, buddy.......Don't know what I'd do without ya'. :)

Jr' says "thanks everbody!!"

He shot the deer just as the sun was setting down in Roy's 'holler.......a complete passthrough and Jr found the arrow which had a bunch of blood on it. So, we marched up to the bow shop to find RC and decided to give it "a little time". The three of us snuck through the woods with lights and it started to rain, washing whatever blood would be on the ground clean away. Roy found the deer in his light just ten steps from him but it was very much alive and got up and hobbled off. We promptly got out of there with no other option but to resume the search again at daybreak. Rog' and I got up at 6am this morning and made the 1 hr 20 min trip back down, again.

We returned to where it laid up and the three of us combed the ridge, one on top, one in the middle, and one in the valley. About 75 yards later Roy walked up on her. Everyone was VERY relieved and excited obviously. The shot is somewhat of a mystery. The arrow struck tight and low along the crease of the near side shoulder just where you'd want it. In my experiences with that shot it's dead deer inside of 2 minutes every single time,......well,... except this time. They can be tough, as we all know. Thanks for the support, all. :)

19-Oct-14
congrats

19-Oct-14
Congratulations from Texas, young man !!!!! Now you are famous nationwide :):):):) Know your dad is proud. Definitely time well spent making memories.

19-Oct-14
Congratulations to the two Rogers!

19-Oct-14
Great job!

19-Oct-14
that's what dad's are for!!!!! many congratulations for a wonderful kill...........

19-Oct-14
Congrats to jr.!! And also to the "guide" RC!! Well done.

19-Oct-14
Very cool!

19-Oct-14
Congrats to all of you!

19-Oct-14
Congratulations Rog Jr.!

Roger, what did you find inside? Any clues as to why it didn't die sooner?

19-Oct-14
Jeff, when Jr' pulled out the guts, the bottoms of each lung appeared slit from the small two blade head he was using. The 'front' of the paunch had been ruptured as well. Oddly, the liver was untouched.........she was filled with blood some of which was coagulated and more yet was still in liquid form. The broadhead is a Magnus Buzzcut honed to a razor edge. He killed last year's deer with the same shot(and head) and it walked 20 yards and fell stone dead. I also have experience with that head and have made the same shot as well, with deer dying in seconds and within sight. The entry and exit holes show a slight quarter to angle, but again still clipped both lungs, so it should've been irrelevant.

A few years back I had a discussion with a bowhunting veterinarian, which was very educational. He's treated dogs with through and through double lung 'hits'(I didn't ask how that happened, btw), but the result didn't actually produce a double pneumothorax(complete collapse of both lungs). In the end, he stated that any mammalian creature can easily survive a projectile 'passthrough' of both lungs if the shot isn't "just perfect"(his words). Apparently they can begin to heal immediately and eventually return to a normal state..........Amazing what they can take.

19-Oct-14
Congratulations Jr! Great job!

19-Oct-14
Congrats to Roger JR Roger and RC!

Mike

19-Oct-14
Roger, my buddies wife shot a big 10pt a few years back. She shot it from the ground and told him she thought she hit it perfect. After not being able to find much blood, he decided to let him go till morning. The next morning, they found the deer still alive and jumped him out of his bed. After a couple hrs, they found him bedded again and she was able to get another arrow in him.

When my buddy gutted the deer, he said the first shot when through the very bottom of both lungs. He said the bottoms of the lungs were "black" looking from the blood filled up around them. He said the tops of the lungs looked fine.

Interesting stuff, congrats again to both you and your son

Ben

20-Oct-14
After jumping her out of her bed in the dark, Roger and I assumed a gut shot. So we figured the proper thing to do was back out of there and hope the yotes didn't find her. That was my biggest fear, the yotes. I knew we would find her in the morning, and it was pretty cold, so the meat would be fine.

After finding her and gutting her out. Neither one of us could believe that she didn't die much sooner.

It puts such a big smile on my face, watching Jr gut out his deer and drag it over to the tractor. Doesn't get any better than that!

20-Oct-14
I've said it before and I'll say it again - you're a good man there RC.

Kudos to Roger Jr on his 2nd bow deer. She looks like she'll make quite a few tasty meals.

Plus it was a great learning experience for the young man that he'll be able to draw from in his future years of hunting. While those "let 'em go overnight" events are always full of angst, they're what's called for on occasion. It's good that young Roger experiences those events as well as the easy blood trails.

20-Oct-14
:) :) :) !!!

20-Oct-14
Very Cool! Congrats to all involved! :)

20-Oct-14
Nice job.

20-Oct-14
Congrats Jr.

20-Oct-14

roger's embedded Photo
roger's embedded Photo
I can't tell you guys how much your kind words mean to us. Fried up the loin for him this evening. :)

20-Oct-14
Congrats to your son Roger, and RC good job!

20-Oct-14

roger's embedded Photo
roger's embedded Photo
Our family thanks you all. :)

20-Oct-14
LOL Dad

20-Oct-14

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo

20-Oct-14
Awesome, Roger, Jr!

What a good looking,and proud family you have as well!

20-Oct-14
Thanks Jen, but your compliment just proves my point in another thread that the doe's genetics can make up for the buck's inadequacies. So, I still agree with me. ;^)

20-Oct-14
Great job young Roger, and congrats to the 'ol man, and the older 'ol man :)

21-Oct-14
Lol Rog.

Nice looking family ya got there.

Hey, put some veggies on that young man's plate!

21-Oct-14
Jeff, I was thinking the same thing a nice baked Potato and some sweet corn or green beans from the garden! That's how I like my back strapps ; )

Mike

21-Oct-14

Treerat's embedded Photo
Treerat's embedded Photo
Not to hijack Roger JR's thread but the circumstances of the shot are familiar. This is the entrance wound on the doe I shot in Ohio slightly Quartering away.

21-Oct-14

Treerat's embedded Photo
Treerat's embedded Photo
Here is the exit... Almost textbook right? After the shot she ran a short distance and then walked away. I saw her stumble about 50-60 yards out and it looked like she bedded 80 yards out. I backed out to come back the next day, that was the night we got our first frost so I figured no worries. I get there the next morning and jump a doe and two fawns where I last saw her. I unravel a blood trail after a few hours and walk up on her at 11:00 am still alive!!!! I did not have my bow!!! I walked back to the truck 1/2 mile when I got back she was dead a full 17 hours after I shot her. It appears that my mechanical broad head G5 T3 did not open properly on contact but was open at exit. The broad head went through the lower lung on the exit cut a slice out of the liver. The lungs were black as Roger mentioned and the deer was also full of blood. Tough animals for sure.

Mike

21-Oct-14
That's one reason I won't take a quartering-on shot. Thanks for the candor, fellas.

Mike, again, thanks for the honesty regarding your broadhead. Mechanicals not opening until at some point inside the animals is unacceptable to me and one of the reasons I quit using them years ago. Full sized entrance wounds and wound channels are as important(or more) to me as full size exit wounds. It's also vital that the head 'cut' that full width and path, rather than punch or tear through until blade deployment, to cause the most massive hemorrhage possible to effect the quickest death, least suffering, and best chance of short successful bloodtrails. I can't help but wonder at what point inside your doe the blades were all fully open, and if things might have ended differently had they opened sooner. I sincerely wish you better results in the future... for their sake if nothing else.

21-Oct-14
Lol, when he has a plate of venison Rog figures veggies will take too much space in the belly. :)

Mike, your definitely not derailing anything here and I'm glad you posted the story; it's relevant and everyone learns from it.

21-Oct-14
Jeff my shot was quartering away, not sure if you were referring to me in first sentence. I have shot many deer with that same broad head and every one opened on impact, not sure why this happened like that. It does make me sick, I passed several shots at her as she skirted around me until I had a quartering away shot and then this happens. My favorite blade was the Magnus stinger 4 blade, I used them for years (fixed blade cut on contact) I just can't seem to get them to shoot straight out of this bow, they seem to plane on me, my arrows shoot straight through paper and honestly I know little about setting up or tuning bows. I just shoot them, that's a bad job by me.

Mike

21-Oct-14
Congrats Roger JR!

21-Oct-14
Ok, gotcha now. I thought you said quartering to... my mistake.

If it won't shoot fixed blade broadheads, something is off. I don't use paper tears as the final word on tuning. In fact nowadays, I dont do it at all. I'd take it somewhere that they're known for being able to sort a bow out and have them get it right. Then you could shoot fixed heads if you wanted to.

21-Oct-14
Roger used to work in an Archery Shop, Mike. I'm sure he would learn ya how to tune. I'd learn ya too and so would Jeffro. Maybe someday this winter we all could hook up at Jeff's place. He can't be but an hour or so from your place. We could have a few beers and then I'd just smack the chit outta ya boy.. :)

21-Oct-14
We SHOULD get together. I need to meet that Wentzler fella one day too :^)

Lemme get my shop together first. Lots to do. I need a vacation... oh... wait... nevermind :^)

Mike, how bout Acorn Archery on 108 near New Castle... or Shooter's Showcase in Harlansburg?

21-Oct-14
I will bring beer. :)

Yeah, we can get that bow tuned up in no time. Could be as simple as a very slight rest adjustment to get points and hunting heads to coincide the mark.

21-Oct-14
I wonder if Mike will show up, wearing his pink compound skirt?

Jeff, if that Wentzler fellar shows up, you will never be the same :) LOL

21-Oct-14
Mike, I had to look at the pics of your deer again, but that is definitely "textbook"; you can't really do better than that on shot placement for quartering away. The broadhead is certainly the issue there.........Amazing.

21-Oct-14
I'll ne there, I'll bring my pink bow ; ) RC smack the dirt out of ya...Lol

22-Oct-14
Geeze, guys. I can't tell whether I'm on Bowsite, or eHarmony....I don't know if this forum can handle a budding bro-mance like this! :-)

22-Oct-14

Flintknocker's embedded Photo
My 'dream' time has been consumed for almost, well going on four years now with..

...trying to get a modest bunch of you yahootz to travel here ..and see if I could teach ya'll everything I know in one weekend>>>--------> :) ? and learn everything ya'll know in the first 24 hours :) Or is it the other way round, time adjusted of course ;) Sorry RC...could not leave that opening there for YOU ;)

Roger, be sure you bring RS Jr.'s attention that the True brotherhood will carry a harvest celebration, especially a "youngster's", to perhaps limitless bounds ;) If he doesn't already...he should know that his triumph is a BIG DEAL to every True Hunter :)

Jeff, these photos be for you :)

22-Oct-14

22-Oct-14

Boobacker's embedded Photo
Boobacker's embedded Photo

22-Oct-14
Ed is this a good mushroom ? Found it on a Oak tree that had a big hole in the bottom of tree ! Sorry Roger

22-Oct-14
Watcha' sorry for, Denny? :) I like these open ended threads where we all get to bs. Hopefully get to see ya next time I'm down.....Still makin' "cider", I hope?

Will do, Ed......We always make a pretty big deal out of whatever it is the kids do, and that's for no other reason than that it truly is special, every time. :) Oh, and if your having a group of yahoos come up your way then I'ma be there, brotha'.

22-Oct-14
Ed, I remember the last time you called me on my cell phone. That was about 2 years ago. After holding my phone to my ear for OVER 2 hours, saying uh huh, yep, yes, I finally got to hang up. Thought I wuz gonna pass out being on the phone for so long.

That was one of the greatest days of my recent life, Because after I HUNG UP..

"I went into my phone settings and BLOCKED YOUR DAMN CELL PHONE NUMBER...."

LMFAO

XO Roy

22-Oct-14
Congrads to Jr. ! I'm sorry I don't like to highjack ure sons Great post ! But I understand about having a open end post just to BS> Yes I'm making Banana now! LOL

22-Oct-14
Bring some up to the bow shop, PLEASE.. :)

22-Oct-14
Don't do it, Denny, you know how he gets!

22-Oct-14
Shoot Three Fingers Under Dodger.. :)

22-Oct-14
3 under is the only way to go! Well, except for my true fire release of course.. :)

22-Oct-14
Of Course... :)

22-Oct-14
Congrats to your son Roger for an awesome accomplishment. Congrats to you for taking the time to be a dad.

22-Oct-14
Boobacker...ask any of the shroom gurus her..and they'll tell it's the best. Period. NO look alikes...gormet quality. And Oak is the host. You had one..if past prime...it'll be back there next year, same place...same time. Dude, they are simply awesome...right next to vensison done right :) Buy yerself a book, look to friends with experience..who are still alive :) and add another dimension to your outdoors!!! If ya run out of new dimensions...don't hesitate to call Roger, RC, Bushy,.........etc. In a real serious pinch...call me :)

22-Oct-14
Ed last week it was pure white! I forgot about it then I saw ure srooms and went to get it! Is it chicken of the woods ! from what I saw on the net it looks like some of the white ones on there there also R bright orange one!I texted Jeff about it but he is out hunting Old Rc only knows about PBR and banana shine ! LOL

22-Oct-14
Denny, you didnt tell me it was past its prime and some was bright orange. I texted you back that I was unsure by that picture alone and so wouldnt eat it. Bright orange leads me to believe it COULD be sulfur shelf, which is edible by most folks... a very few have issues with it. It can vary in color. Google it for more pics. Never saw it pure white though.

Ed, you done good there, brother! Very nice.

I just got done eating venison backstraps, with sheepshead cooked into a big bunch of kale, a lil bacon, green onion, and garlic. Mmmmmm.

22-Oct-14
Chuck, thanks man, hope all is well with you and ya got some time to get out this year...?

22-Oct-14
Congratulations to the boy Roger, and to the Dad who got him started.

23-Oct-14
Road Kill, Jeff? :)

23-Oct-14
I got excited just reading the title to this thread. couldn't click on it fast enough.

Roy you're just trying to earn a spot in heaven. Don't worry you can just tell em you're with Chris and they will let you in. bwaahahaha

Congrats congrats Roger and Roger Jr. That's just awesome. perfect shot too.

By the way Rog.... is that plastic edging I see in front of your house? Too cheap to buy the cement stuff? ha ha couldn't resist!

Miss you guys man. Soon things will slow down and we can all crack a cold one and wash down the osage dust again.

24-Oct-14
Hurry on back, Joe......There's always a cold one waiting for ya'. :)

24-Oct-14
No, Roy. It was bow killed... not by me.

Sheepshead for supper again tonight.

Got a lot done on the shop today... hope to go on a hunt/forage tomorrow morn... will keep an eye out for fungi... of course :^)

• Sitka Gear