JackPine Acres 21-Oct-14
ACU bowhunter 21-Oct-14
therealdeal 21-Oct-14
Jeff in MN 22-Oct-14
Naz MacBook 23-Oct-14
Bucks_n_Gobblers 23-Oct-14
19-Oct-14

Naz MacBook's Link
Zone 2 wolf hunters and trappers got just 3-1/2 days (and about doubled their quota); Zones 1 and 4 hunters and trappers just five days, and it's quite possible that Zone 5 will be closed in the coming days if the current success rate continues. That leaves only Zones 3 and 6 — the two zones with the most tags and arguably the fewest wolves — open beyond the first week.

Anyone else think there should be some changes considered, and not just in tag numbers? How about separation of hunt/trap quotas, and a later opener for pelts to fill out? What about the allocation of tags? Some have been drawn twice already while others have three preference points. Doesn't seem right. Also, why not require those drawn for a tag to purchase the license within two weeks, and if they don't, offer to others with preference points?

The story linked is a Saturday column, with some Facebook comments by Ted Nugent on Wisconsin's wolf season. You might also want to check out http://wolfpatrol.org to see the latest video and blog from the Great Lakes Wolf Patrol leader, convicted felon Rod Coronado.

19-Oct-14
1400 tags sold@$50 each for a few days of trapping/hunting? The DN$ loves this moneymaker.

19-Oct-14
Did they actually sell that many this year, or was that the number of tags awarded? I hadn't checked into it, or seen any official numbers.

In 2012, only about three-quarters of those drawn purchased the license. Don't have the final numbers for last year, but did find a story in my files where it mentioned that more than 800 potential hunters/trappers still hadn't purchased the license a full week into the season.

19-Oct-14
How do we know that nut jobs are not buying a wolf license then calling in that they got one causing units to close? Does each and wolf get inspected?

19-Oct-14
Yes wink wink I cant believe all these wolf hunters are so accurate!

19-Oct-14
Every wolf has to be registered in person within 24hrs I believe.

19-Oct-14
I loved how zone 2 stacked the quota on the final night! Spoke with a warden in Onieda Co who (still has a job to do) said he personally thinks some zones have way to many wolves yet.

We agreed that hunters would hunt wolves illegally if the dnr doesn't find a better way to contol numbers and issue tags.

19-Oct-14

Naz MacBook's embedded Photo
Naz MacBook's embedded Photo
If this is accurate, only half the quota in Z-4 … but I'd guess more will be reported in the coming day (the zone closed at 6:30 p.m. today; Z-5 closing 6:30 p.m. tomorrow). Giving tag holders 24 hours to report — if they're holding back on reporting until later in the 24-hour period — at least allows those who've put in a lot of investment in fees, gas, traps, etc. a chance to participate another day. I think most here would agree the quota was set conservatively low this year, and many also believe the overwinter minimum guesstimate is way low.

Yes, hunters must exhibit the pelt and carcass but they have a long time to do so under current law — no later than five days after the month of harvest. Seems a bit strange to allow so much time between the harvest and showing the pelt/carcass but that's the way the law was drafted.

19-Oct-14
As you said Naz I had made a considerable investment in trying to harvest a wolf and not to allow a zone to reach its quota is BS! Why have zones at all?

19-Oct-14
duplicate deleted

19-Oct-14
hmm, two wolf discussions now.

my license cost $250 the state likes me even better

19-Oct-14
Predator quotas on all four legged predators should be directly tied to the number of deer in a given zone/management unit. When the herd is down, the predator tags should be way up if not OTC. Black bear and wolves should both be OTC north of 64 right now and open the entire deer seasons (thats right plural). When the herd comes back up, you can set specific quotas on both black bear and wolves. When the herd goes back down, predators go back to OTC.

At least it should be given a try because nothing else is working! It will keep predators in line by giving big game hunters an opportunity they may not otherwise have. You can still have an emergency provision that can be enacted during any of the seasons. You would have a whole lot less bitching by hunters.

19-Oct-14
Jeff, you still a Minnesota resident? I thought you were back to the green and gold now? If this was the deer herd, the DNR would make you shoot 10 a year because there are too many if they have to close the season that quick.

20-Oct-14
85 out of 150 already registered in less than a week. We'll never get to 350 again at this rate but it sounds like the antis are pushing for a minimum of 650 or 850 meaning we'll always have 2k or more. It is nice to have a season but with such a low quota, it is not really worth it. We need to get them while we can because the antis are fighting to relist them all the time. How in the world did the WDNR reduce the quota so much when the quotas were reached so quickly in the other 2 years proving the population was sky high...

20-Oct-14
Happy, the DNR miscalculated the population near Pelican lake by 300%. Nothing surprises me. The guy that was the DNR head of the wolf program retired. Hopefully things will change.

20-Oct-14
Hey, I was borne in Two Rivers, played football on Lambeau Field in high school. I alway have and always will bleed green and gold.

Yup, legal residency is still in MN. The DNR tried to make me a WI resident when I renewed boat registration and had the decals sent to my WI address. Somehow they put that in my permanent address, a Wal Mart clerk caught that when I bought my wolf license.

21-Oct-14
I don't mean to jump on this thread and ask another question but what happens if you are trapping for coyotes and you catch a wolf? I don't trap but you have to think this occurrs throughout the state.

Just curious.

21-Oct-14
It's not a wolf then....its the biggest coyote you've ever seen.

21-Oct-14
JPA, same thing you do when you catch a bobcat in a coyote trap

22-Oct-14
If you don't feel comfortable releasing it call the TIP number. They will arrange for a state or federal trapper to release it for you. Last year they radio collered 3 wolfs in the process of doing that. Same deal if you catch a bear in a trap.

At the wolf traping class they strongly advised against using just a drag. Recommended good stakes and a drag in case the stakes get pulled, or just good stakes. Reason was that they said it is a bad day when they get a call to release a bear that climbs up a tree with that trap and a drag.

23-Oct-14

Naz MacBook's Link
So much misinformation here, not sure where to start. Wisconsin doesn't even have a "spruce grouse" season, and even if he meant ruffed grouse, that hunt began Sept. 13. Most grouse hunters know not to waste their time hunting in areas with known pack activity. Plenty of better areas to target with more game and less worry about traps. And the comments on wardens? I'm sure they checked far more trappers and hunters than the "Wolf Patrol" did. DNR can't help the quota going over with the 24-hour notice, obviously (but I guess not obvious to him).

Linked — "Media Release: GLWP documents illegal wolf trapping activity, hunters kill over quota, WDNR takes no action"

23-Oct-14
Naz, yeah I don't think they are very informed themselves!

• Sitka Gear