Heartshot 23-Oct-14
Ridgehunter 23-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 23-Oct-14
jdrdeerslayer 23-Oct-14
XForce 23-Oct-14
XForce 23-Oct-14
BOBHUNT71 23-Oct-14
19-Oct-14
Just went to a new 20 acre property today and had the land owner show me around. He informed me that there is another hunter on the property and he has several stands up already. The landowner indicated he would get me the other hunter's number so we can coordinate. The other hunter has 5 stands on the property including a blind. And as the landowner indicated the stands are all on the major travel ways. So the question is, do I ask the other hunter if it is ok to use his stands when he is not there? Or do I just setup my own? The land owner indicated that he didn't want us both there at the same time so I would not think it would be an issue but thought I would see what the group. If the roles were reversed I would not have an issue but that is just me. Looking forward to the discussion.

19-Oct-14
Tough one. He was there first so he's going to feel like he's the one in charge, so I would try to be as agreeable as possible. Maybe ask to make a schedule, but I think anything is going to be difficult to keep both sides happy.

20-Oct-14
put up your own even if its next to him .

20-Oct-14
With five stand locations it sounds like the other hunter has no place else to go. How long has the other hunter had permission there? Will there be gun hunting also?

Is it worth the hassle of scheduling a time when he won't be there? Why are the deer there? Can you find another area adjacent to the deer traffic?

I wish you well and let us know how it goes down.

20-Oct-14
check with the other guy for timing . but use your own stuff. if he was a friend it would be different. scout around you would probably find your area.

20-Oct-14
get a hold of the other guy and use your own stuff..for bow 20 acres is decent amount so i dont think he has a lock on it,..can you use gun ?

20-Oct-14
Thanks for the responses so far. The landowner gave permission to me and my stepson (15 and never taken a deer) primarily for gun season. The other hunter does not gun hunt the property. My goal is for my stepson to get his first deer ever on this property.

The property is a big rectangle with stone walls running the paralell long sides to the top of a hill where the deer cross the landowners property going from one farm with fields to another farm that grows xmas trees. Walking the property it was clear why the other hunter put his stands where he did, there are breaks in the walls which appear to be old haul roads. Clearly the deer are using the breaks. Lots of oaks at the top of the hill along with wide open shooting lanes.

I will wait to get in touch with the other hunter but I am thinking I will probably try to snug in a ground blind for my step son and I for the jr days and hang a stand or two of my own. This might be a good excuse to go get a buddy stand without the wife complaining that I have enough stands already :)

20-Oct-14
I would not hunt the property.

20-Oct-14
The current Hunter seems committed to the property. Guessing multiple stands to hunt the wind, day/evening spots, etc. I'm curious why the land owner even gave you permission? If I were the current Hunter I'd be honest with you how it would be a bit upsetting how I need to share a property I clearly put a lot of effort into scouting, stand placement, etc. Seems he's been there for quite a few seasons. If I had asked for permission and learned what I had as you noted above...dump it and move on.

20-Oct-14
I would call the hunter see if he seems receptive to you hunting it with him.....If he is not I would stay out of there as well

I had the same issue happen to me and I was not happy

20-Oct-14
I had a similar situation. A new property on which I am permitted. The resident offered to get me signed up with the neighbor. I like that. The neighbor said "got a hunter but you are welcome". I contacted the other guy who was cool to the idea, but I said I just wanted tracking privileges and maybe cross the line by 10 feet if it's a better tree. He said he never hunts early season anyway so ok. Don't you know, that guy is there EVERY MORNING AND EVENING that I have tried hunting the spot. Comes in late, noisy, just all bad. I am fixing to take the stand down and give up. So many places to go that hunting in proximity of someone else makes no sense.

20-Oct-14
The landowner is the father of one of my childrens' friends. We got to talking one day and he offered the oppurtunity I never asked. He seems to think it will not be an issue as I brought it up to him that I was concerned that we might be pissing off the other hunter, the landowner told me not to worry about it. The landowner told me that the other hunter doesnt hunt weekends and that is all my son and I can hunt.

Once I get the other hunters' info I will give him a call and see the reaction I get. Regardless of the reaction I will likely be "that" guy and take my son there for the 2 jr days especially if he doesnt hunt weekends.

20-Oct-14
Getting back to the original question, I wold put up my own stands. I would focus on much thicker stuff than the other hunter, assuming the deer have or will pattern him and detour around his spots, which he may have been hitting hard for years.

If the land owner wants hunter-coordination, it's on you to make contact and work something out. Also, see if you (better yet) the land owner can secure permission at neighboring properties. I always try to get a block of connected properties signed up to move with the deer.

20-Oct-14
I always defer to the senior guy -

20-Oct-14
I would simply say - hey would you mind telling me where you want to set up and on what days, if possible, so I do not interfere with your hunt.

23-Oct-14
Update - spoke to the other hunter last night, really nice guy, offered to meet me at the property and show me around as well as where to setup to give my son the best chance. I didnt ask about using his stands he offered them and suggested that we make sure that one of the buddy stands that he hasnt used in a few years is still secure and safe.

When I explained that my focus was to get my son a deer he told me to keep him posted on that and if it isn't happening on this property he has other properties that we could try to get my son one.

Im cautiously optimistic but this could work out to be a great working relationship.

23-Oct-14
Nice bird u did the right thing buddy it is a lot easier to work together then not. So congrats and get that kid a deer bud

23-Oct-14
Glad it worked out for you, as hunters we need our youth hunters to keep our sport going, he is a good guy most people would not of welcomed you so easily properties aren't easy to come by these days.My hats off to that guy.

23-Oct-14
Birdman

guy sounds like a great person and very generous. Just goes to show, sometimes we think the worse of people and then they really surprise us.

23-Oct-14
Normally in that situation I wouldn't hunt it...but as others mentioned that is very stand up of the other hunter

23-Oct-14
Most of the responses here are pretty stand-up, it be nice to have that kind of courtesy everywhere. Nice change from hearing about and having camera's stolen, people posting and attempting to hunt property they do not have permission to be on, all things we have experienced.

23-Oct-14
Most of the responses here are pretty stand-up, it be nice to have that kind of courtesy everywhere. Nice change from hearing about and having camera's stolen, people posting and attempting to hunt property they do not have permission to be on, all things we have experienced.

23-Oct-14
Congrats on the news its nice to know there are some good ambassadors still out there in our sport willing to help the youth out .

• Sitka Gear