bigbuckbob 20-Oct-14
cuntrytocity 20-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 20-Oct-14
cuntrytocity 21-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 21-Oct-14
LimeyMotors 24-Oct-14
19-Oct-14
Limmey,

just go a chance to get on the computer, crazy weekend celebrating our 39th anniversary, but I was so glad to hear you had a great day Saturday, wish I could have gotten out.

Now that you have some calm time, think about the things you could have done differently. If deer is coming in from behind your position, don't move unless you're sure the deer can't see you. A 40 yard shot in CT is a long way to shoot, so maybe think about waiting to see if the deer comes closer. Knowing where the runs go will help you know this the next time, so if the deer is on a run that leads away from your stand, it won't get closer.

You're seeing deer, so it will only get better in the next few weeks. Sounds like you got a good spot, stick with it and call me if you need anything. I would love to help you drag a big one out!

20-Oct-14
It was super exciting I'm looking forward to going out again. BBB, You are the only reason I was able to find this spot. Every thing you said and showed me while we were out is how I knew this was a good spot. I learned a few things on Saturday also. Next time Im going to get in a tree closer to the path the deer are using. I set up behind some thick brush to keep me out of view but I had no lane to shoot through. Also if the deer stay on this path they will never get closer than 40 yards from me. next time I'll know enough to set up in a better tree. Waiting still and quite after I took the shot was hard but it was just like you told me the Deer hung around and came back because of her curiosity. I now know I should of waited for her to come around the front of my tree. I was so excited to see her come back and give me a second chance that I turned around. Even though i was slow and careful, She still saw me. Next time I'll wait or get her on the first shot. -Duncan

20-Oct-14
@BBB, I'm hunting an area in Shelton that has two valleys on either side of me with high ground in the middle. There's a creek bottom that runs through one valley, which looks pretty promising. Accounting for thermals, I know hunting in valleys can be quite tricky. I haven't mastered the art of identifying the bedding areas, but I jumped two does who were bedded down just off the main trail which runs thru the area. There are ferns, all around the hillsides which the deer blend into quite nicely. I have a stand set-up on an acorn flat on top of a hill, but all of my pics are of the deer at night. With the cold coming on, do you think they'll start to gravitate toward the acorns during the day, I literally have acorns dropping during each and every hunt.

It appears the deer are traveling in a circular route, along the creek bottom and along the sides of the hills. Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

20-Oct-14
The part that makes me so proud is all last year and from September until this past saturday I was out in this section of the Mattatuck state forest and never saw any deer. Then I spend 3 hours in the woods with BigBuckBob in a different part of the state soaking up every bit of knowledge he is willing to share. Then I come back to my section of Mattatuck, scouting a few times with this new knowledge and the first tree I choose to set up in I see deer on the very first morning. Bob never took a step in my section of Mattatuck, but by using the info he gave me I was able to find Deer. What a thrill. I still would like to like to go out with you again BigBuckBob some time. Thanks again - Duncan

20-Oct-14
Cuntrytocity

sounds like you're placing your stand where they feed, in the acorns, so if you're hunting in the morning you're going to push them out of the feeding area because that's where they'll be at night.

You FOUND their bedding areas because you said you jumped them out of their beds. so they're not traveling far from the food.

Others have said this already, but with so much food (acorns) they don't have to move much to have a full belly and then bed down. One option is waiting for the rut and when the bucks start chasing the does around, then your chance should improve. Or, you can try setting up in one of the valley very early in the morning (like 2 hours before light) and wait for the deer to bed down. I don't suggest this because if you spook them from their bedding area they will more than likely find a new spot to bed down where they feel safe.

I think the best bet right now is to hunt the acorns in the afternoon only, and hope to catch them coming into feed. If they're bedding down close to the acorns you need to be super quiet getting in though, so be careful setting up.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

20-Oct-14
Duncan

you're more than welcome. I love sharing what knowledge I have, so I enjoy hearing your stories more than you know!

As most people on the site know, getting a deer is no longer a primary goal for me, it's enjoying the outdoors, the solitude, enjoy the wonders of God's creation and having time to clear my head.

Nothing makes me happier than being part of a new hunter's success. I took my friends 13 yr old son out turkey hunting a few years ago and when I called in his first turkey and he shot it, he raced over to me and gave me a big hug!! I can't explain how great that made me feel, it's something I will never forget.

So keep learning, sounds like you're on your way. Let's make a date to get out and get one.

By the way - don't give out too much information on your hunting spot or you'll have lots of new friends.

20-Oct-14
Thanks Bob, your advice is greatly appreciated. Things are kinda slow at work today, so I may head out around 1:30 and give it a try.

20-Oct-14
Notme would tell you - it helps if you act like a nut while you're in your tree :)

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

21-Oct-14
Hey Bob, didn't put a deer down yesterday, but I learned a few things. Gonna move down on the trail they're using and set-up about 20 yards off the trail and hunt it in a north or northeast wind. Gonna get between them and where they want to go. Gonna stay off the acorn flat until it gets a little colder and they really start hitting the acorns. Thanks for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

21-Oct-14
cuntrytocity

there you go. I'm excited to hear you're finding out where the deer are coming from and going to, that's a big part of being successful.

FYI - I never hunt bedding or feeding areas, I hunt the trails that lead to them. I always want the deer to stay in the pattern that I've learned so that I don't have to re-learn a new pattern. If you hunt right in the acorns or right in their beds, they will move to another spot, and then you start all over.

I really don't have all the answers, don't think any of us do, it's all a game of cat and mouse and that's the fun part.

I've said it before,...what I enjoy most in the HUNT, the CHASE, and not the kill. That's why I like big sections of open woods I find on state land and not the small private lots, but hey, to each his own.

24-Oct-14
Im goinf to the same area in tje morni.g. I plan on setting my stand closer to the trail tje doe came in on . Hopefuly with better shooting lanes. If i rember tocharge my cell tonifht ill do a "LIVEHUNT" and keep everyone up to date -Duncan

• Sitka Gear