notme 24-Oct-14
FULL DRAW 24-Oct-14
grizzlyadam 24-Oct-14
easyshooter 25-Oct-14
easyshooter 25-Oct-14
Bloodtrail 25-Oct-14
Dream Catcher@work 25-Oct-14
20-Oct-14
Sometimes those of us who have been hunting for a while do things without even thinking, and how/when to move on incoming deer is one of those for me. Seems like there have been a few comments about this topic lately on the site.

Years ago I learned a simple rule about when and how to move with deer in the area.

The Rule - move at the same speed as the deer.

If the deer is stopped, you should be perfectly still. If the deer is moving slow, then you can match his speed with slow movements. If the deer if moving fast, then you can move faster.

Exceptions to rule - if the deer is looking right at you don't move no matter what the deer is doing. Or, if the deer is stopped behind a large object like a tree or rock or school bus (Notme) then you can move quietly while watching for the deer.

I've taken a few rookies into the woods and I've seen them move like they were invisible to the deer, dropping their packs, reaching for the gun, checking the safety, etc and all the time the deer is making his get-away. Then they look up and say, "What did I do wrong."

I had a 6 point buck walk right past me at 20 yards, coming from behind me where I never saw him until he was to the side of me, and that was due to the fact that I was watching 2 does browsing while I was still hunting. Once he got passed me and started chasing the does around I was able to move almost without concern because all of the deer were running back and forth in front of me and my movements became part of the changing scenery to them.

I'd real interested to hear what others think about this or tips you can offer.

20-Oct-14
BBB, clearly you have been at it for a while. I don't know if you experience this, but it I find it hard to slow my body down to "woods speed" early in the season. By season's end, I am a stone in the woods. But it takes me a while to reach that level of ability each year.

20-Oct-14
While we are on the subject, I had a mature buck come straight at me last year from across a mowed field, I was in a natural ground blind. The wind was in my favor. I had built this blind 10 yards from a couple nice runs months and months earlier. This buck comes trotting across from the other side of the field which is about 175 yards long heading my way. I'm crouched down the buck gets within 60 yards and freezes im not moving and mostly hidden except for my eyes and frost from breath it was very cold that day. He starred right at me and took a 90 degree turn and went out of sight and never saw him again. It was a very nice mature buck nice wide rack, I was breathing very heavily do to excitement still not sure what spooked him.

20-Oct-14
BBB - I agree - you are 100% correct in your analysis.

I would add eye contact and breathing control when the adrenaline kicks in. Practice shallow breathing as it will help reduce body movement. Never stare deer in the eye. If deer is looking at you squint eyes and look a bit to the side. Even better, close your non-dominant eye. Try not to blink - squinting helps control blinking.

20-Oct-14
When deer are looking straight at me, I tilt my head down a bit so my cap covers my eyes. I also hold the bow in front of me to break up my outline a bit.

I get ready as soon as I spot them and only move when their heads are behind something (tree). Yeah, sometimes I'm ready for 20 minutes to half hour before I decide to take a shot. When I know I'm not gonna take a shot, I just enjoy the view.

20-Oct-14
Crow,

great point about the hat and holding the bow in front of your face to break up your outline, I do the same. Again, just do it by instinct so it's hard to remember everything I do.

Want to try something strange on the ground??? I was turkey hunting a few years ago and saw 3 deer about 200 yards away across a field. I had a brush line about 10 yards in front of me but the deer could see me if they looked my way.

I started to bleat and they stopped and stared. I cupped my hands to the side of my head, like deer ears, began to twitch them and one of the deer immediately started to trot across the field directly at me. It got to the brush row and just stood there trying to figure out what kind of deer I was. This deer was there for at least 3 minutes just staring at me. As soon as I dropped my hands she turned and trotted back, but stopped 3 different times to look back,....she wanted to know what I was.

I tried this because I've seen moose hunters use a canoe paddle or even their bow to simulate a rack, and the moose calm down and walk on in.

20-Oct-14
I've got a tip...if you happen to get picked off in your stand and the deer is looking at you, you might as well draw your bow. Every time I tried to sit still and outlast the deer, the deer always took off.

But on the occasion I just drew my bow while the deer was staring at me, I've killed a few because they continue to stare. Sometimes they run...but they are going to that anyways if you don't draw and just sit there.

Just aim for their heart, because they are most likely to drop at the shot. And if they don't...you put an arrow through their heart. Nighty night.

20-Oct-14
I agree with, "they move, you can move, and they stop, you stop, also squinting when they look at you."

Shallow breathing sounds interesting. It might have been a little difficult for me, as I was very excited last Saturday with a nice buck within range.

When I see a deer I get to my feet, with the least possible motion, raise the seat and holster the bottom limb(60"bow), if it already isn't. I find that with the approach of a deer, I am constantly trying to judge where and what side the shot might open up for me. So, I shift my position by slowly shuffling my feet into position for a shot.

I had made a serious mistake Saturday morning and neglected to put on another shirt layer before donning my harness. By the time the deer came in I was starting to shiver a little and that isn't good for concentrating.

Bloodtrail,

"Every time I tried to sit still and outlast the deer, the deer always took off."

Most deer that have looked at me stayed around, with most being shot.

20-Oct-14
All good stuff. This could be a chapter in a book

20-Oct-14
Some good tips thanks I like the squinting and angling my head down idea also place the bow in front of my silhouette. I've been hunting for 20 years and always have had a hard time calming down and breathing easy when deer come into range now that I've turned to bow hunting it's even tougher being so much closer. I got my first 2 a couple weeks ago and it took me quite a while to calm enough to shoot. Lucky for me they had no idea I was there and I had plenty of time for a good shot. I'll be at my previously mentioned ground blind tomorrow morning. Hopefully with better results there's some fresh rubs in the area .

20-Oct-14
Some good tips thanks I like the squinting and angling my head down idea also place the bow in front of my silhouette. I've been hunting for 20 years and always have had a hard time calming down and breathing easy when deer come into range now that I've turned to bow hunting it's even tougher being so much closer. I got my first 2 a couple weeks ago and it took me quite a while to calm enough to shoot. Lucky for me they had no idea I was there and I had plenty of time for a good shot. I'll be at my previously mentioned ground blind tomorrow morning. Hopefully with better results there's some fresh rubs in the area .

21-Oct-14
Chuck,

this worked for me years ago when I used to get so excited when a deer came in close (or even far away).

When you practice run through a prior shooting opportunity in your head. Make believe you're waiting for the deer to clear a tree and come in range, look at the bullseye on the target like it was a spot on the deer's body, take a deep breath, exhale slowly and then release with your eyes focused only on the bullseye while saying to yourself "Kill Zone"

Now you're on the hunt. Don't look at the entire body of the deer, because that's what will increase your nervous energy! Look at that small spot where you want the arrow to hit, the "bullseye" or "Kill Zone". Pick a single hair out if you can imagine doing that, and just focus on arrow placement. Say "Kill Zone" over and over in your head, aim the shot, deep breath, slow exhale and let it go.

I've learned that shooting a bow in a hunting situation is a lot like playing golf. The mental image you have in your mind of your golf swing, the impact on the ball, the flight of the ball, etc will help you hit that kind of shot. The same is true of hunting. My pre-shot routine for golf is exactly the same when I practice as it is when I play. Use the same idea for bow hunting, it does work for me.

Good luck!

21-Oct-14
CTCrow, Bob, Dr.Deer, thanks to you all for the sound advice, definitely have to remember to tilt my head and put the bow in front of me, to break up my silhouette. Bob, I just read an article in a bowhunting magazine where the author suggested the same method, pick a spot on that deer in the kill zone and focus directly on that spot with laser-like intensity, helps to control adrenaline and "Buck Fever." The advice I pick up here is greatly appreciated, this being my fifth year of deer hunting, but only my second with a bow.

21-Oct-14
Fred Bear used to say that. Aim at a spot, not the deer. Miss the spot, still get the deer. Usually. Especially importatnt when shooting instinctively. Ever shoot at a candle in the dark? Without all the distractions, it's amazing how tight groups get.

21-Oct-14
Dr Deer,

I like the candle in the dark phrase, paints a very clear picture in my mind of how to visualize the shot.

21-Oct-14
Uncle Ted says aim small miss small and don't count the points .

21-Oct-14
I agree with "if they're staring at you, draw and fire" I've killed a goodnumber of deer doing this and its correct, within a few seconds they are going to bolt either way, you may as well take a good shot!

good info from everyone though!

21-Oct-14
How about the HEAD FAKE move that deer will give you?? You know, they put their head down like they're going to feed on an acorn and then yank it up and look your way! That freaks me out, and I wonder, Do you see me or not deer?

21-Oct-14
Sometime they do that twice then blow just to see if you jump, I always do .

23-Oct-14
Thanks for starting this thread BBB, My second year bow hunting, I enjoy being on the ground, still hunting. I read through all the posts yesterday and greatly appreciate everyone's input. I even put it all to use today.

Jumped a few does on way into woods, looped around and they spotted me from 70 yards and just stood there. We all froze for like 10 min, I was behind a tree, they chilled out and began to brouse. I got to like 40 yards, kneeling down and crawling toward them. One snorted and they ran 20 yards and stopped. I only had 1 in view from that point on. It stayed put for like 10-15 min without moving one bit. I did same.

The other kept snorting like 10'times, I think they were trying to communicate to each other, but the doe didn't budge. I was able to sneak up to 25 yards as it started browsing again. Was awesome. Every time it looked at me I lowered my head and didn't look it in the eye. It never got really spooked, I even drew my bow when it was broadside but didn't let it fly as she turned away and slowly started eating the other way.

BUT WHAT A DAY!

23-Oct-14
I feel like, once you see a deer, if you look right at it, eventually it gets nervous - it's like they get that "some one is staring at me" feeling. So, i've taken to watching the ground between their hooves - or scanning ahead to spots I could shoot them. Only at the "last" minute do I look at the body to pick a spot.

23-Oct-14
I have found that if a deer looks at you you're pretty much screwed. I always close one eye, and found it works most of the time, but they keep you on their radar and as soon as you move or they wind you that's it. They always like to work their way downwind to investigate with their nose.

I always move and act as though there is a deer near me even if I don't see any. If you get careless they will pick you out before you even know they are there. I can't imagine how many deer pick out hunters and avoid them without the hunter even knowing about it. I'm sure it happens much more than we would like to believe.

24-Oct-14
grizzly

I think your statement about moving and acting like a deer is right next to you is the best advice. I tell new hunters that all the time, even if you're 30ft up in a tree, you need to move like you have a deer behind every tree out there and they're all looking at you.

24-Oct-14
i get freaked when i see them in the distance,only seeing legs or a back..i have to remind myself to calm down and slow my breathing..most of my hunts are on the ground so i slowy start rotating my hips and tilting in my left leg,at the same time hooking my release and double checking my bow clearence above checking for loose brsanches resting the bow on my knee..when im comfortable and ready to go the bow stays in front of my face and i look down till i get a clean shot..i pick a spot and focus on that..or i just enjoy the moment

24-Oct-14
notme,

that was so serious. Are you ok?

24-Oct-14
In the stand and especially on the ground I always have my bow in hand with the release clipped on ready to go the entire sit. Often they can appear out of nowhere very close leaving no time to get ready to take a shot. Be ready all the time, don't get caught with your pants down. It should only take one time to learn that lesson. I like to set up my camera with me on stand to film my hunts and more often than not I never get an opportunity to reach over and hit record. Most of the deer encounters I record are ones that I opted to pass on.

24-Oct-14
bbb, i was gonna say i come screaming out of the bushes yelling "oogie boogie" scarin the crap out of them hence pissing myself with school girl giggling..but thats not my style..lol

24-Oct-14
Grizzly you sit with bow in hand and release on your string the entire time.......? Relax enjoy the hunt.

24-Oct-14
Yep!! I am relaxed and enjoying the hunt while doing so. It's no inconvenience, try it. Get too lax and end up kicking yourself when you are too busy playing on your phone to be ready to do what you are there to do.

25-Oct-14
I agree 100% .I have a buddy who just refuses to do this.He moves when he wants and he is no kid.he just can't handle the pressure.I can't count how many deer he had spooked and had never shot one because of this.

25-Oct-14
I also move with the wind or go into my back pack when the wind blows to cover my noise

25-Oct-14
I've been bowhunting over 25 years. Have never had a deer just "appear" under me. I leave my bow on a hanger and just grab it when I think I have a shot opportunity.

25-Oct-14
This is a great topic! You can be prepared 99% of the time but that 1% is when the deer come in! My bow is very close or in my hand. When I hunted from a treestand I liked a higher seat. This limits my movement if I had to stand or makes it easier to shoot from in a sitting position. I practice from different positions all the time but when I see deer I am focused on the positioning of my feet. If my feet are in a fairly good position I can rotate my body with very little movement. I try to avoid awkward positions and feel I can hold my draw for a longer duration and it allows better form. I also find drawing on animals that you don't intend to shoot can help build confidence.

• Sitka Gear