Jeff in MN 21-Oct-14
live2hunt 21-Oct-14
ahunter55wife 21-Oct-14
Pasquinell 21-Oct-14
GoJakesGo 21-Oct-14
Zinger 21-Oct-14
Pasquinell 21-Oct-14
20-Oct-14
In my own mind I’m really good lol. The truth of the matter is when I looked back I’m not that good at making meat with a bow . So when I looked back at the last 6 encounters I had with deer that I wanted to shoot I’m 2 for 6 . The reality of that truth has left me on search to improve when the deer I want to shoot is within range.

When you have a deer that you want to shoot inside your personal bow range how many times do they get away ?

20-Oct-14
You'll have to ask my wife.

20-Oct-14
Do you mean deer that we wanted to shoot that came within range? The 4 you didn't shoot was that because they never offered a shot or you messed up and they saw you draw or you missed or something?

For the last 20 or so deer I've shot only four "got away". An unseen branch allowed two to live, although one of them I killed a couple days later. One I made a bad shot but saw the same deer a couple weeks later no worse for the wear. And one I shot and could not find. I think the shot was a little high but it started to pour right after I shot and I never saw it again so I assume it died as a result of my arrow.

I've never been busted drawing my bow by a deer, now turkeys is a different story! Just last night I shot a buck and drew back on his when he was about 8yds away, just waited for him to turn his head away a little. Shot him at 3yds!

20-Oct-14
Zinger i don't see your buck on the Kill Thread? Why are you holding out??

20-Oct-14
Been pretty proficient over the past 31 years with many bucks and some does as well. Been more selective in recent years holding off for more mature animals. It has helped to get a better bow 2 years ago. I usually hit what I'm aiming at.

20-Oct-14

10orbetter's embedded Photo
10orbetter's embedded Photo
In the annals of big-buckdom, I pretty much suck. Let's see, there was the big 12 on public land-shot over his back, the huge 10 on public land-shot under him, the twin towers on private land-shot a maple tree, the drop tine 13 on private land-got busted when the Luminock fell off the string, the junk in the trunk 14-shot him, trailed him for 800 yards, lost him in a swamp, and figured he drowned in the 40 foot deep pond. Then there was four-socks, busted me getting out of my stand on the Sunday of opening weekend never to see him again. See attached picture Finally there is the Grail, I've had three encounters, two with gun and one with bow. Grail 3 me 0. The good news, the Grail is still there and I am hoping for one more chance at him. Hell, Bob Uker's baseball prowess has nothing on my big buck prowess. Does that answer your question.

20-Oct-14
If it comes within range and is a deer I want to shoot, it has died everytime.

20-Oct-14
You had to bring it up! I need a drink….

20-Oct-14
wibuckwatch, at your request I put it in the 2014 kill thread. Don't get excited though it's no monster but I don't care.

20-Oct-14
I've missed two good bucks over the Last 4 years. Neither of the bucks where over 20 yard's away. I some times suffer from a disease called buck fever!

20-Oct-14
I like the way you said that LTL "In my own mind I’m really good". I think we all kinda think that but in reality how many times do you close the deal. You really made me think because I've been bow hunting for 25 years or so. I can tell you that I haven't missed many or jacked it up too many times in the last 10-12 years. The first 10 years are a different story! All of my bucks are 1-1/2 and 2-1/2 year olds. I really want a 3-1/2 or better and those are the ones I've jacked up in the last 5 years. Luckily, I've missed them clean or never got a shot.

20-Oct-14

ahunter55wife's embedded Photo
I let 2 Does walk this evening as I no longer shoot them (I've killed many in the past though). I haven't killed a Buck in over 6 years cause I've killed many of them of all sizes. I said my NEXT Buck would be my biggest ever & I've had the pleasure of fooling many very respectable Bucks within easy bow range without drawing my bow. In this "personal goal" quest I just plain F-k up a shot & I think the last time I had missed a deer was at least 20 years ago.. I don't plan on missing anymore but then, we never know what gremlins might show up at the moment of truth.

20-Oct-14

week long NFAA outdoor Field Nationals Bowhunter Division, 2nd place 2014.

21-Oct-14
I am to the point that once I am anchored it's pretty much over... I don't get buck fever until after the shot. Then I get the shivers and need to sit down and gather myself and relive what just happened.

Have I screwed up prior to getting anchored.. you bet.

Example... never rattle while sitting.. learned this about 15 years ago in a tree in Iowa. Just getting settled on a afternoon sit on a open cattle gate that funnel deer past my smooth bark Hickory I set my climber in. I was getting everything set up with a perfect wind from the gate when I saw a great buck about 250 yrds up the ridge to my left.. figuring he is the king of the woods and watching him with bios told me he was and obviously had a bedded doe that I could not see. He worked scrapes and brush and stayed generally in view in that area for several minutes . So I decided to try to rattle him down thru that cattle gate ... I banged my antlers together and got his attention right away.. but he would not leave that area as a doe was bedded that I could not see... I did all this rattling while seated and bow on the hanger.

While my attention was concentrated on him and his every move.. I heard a trig snap like very close to my hard right.. I turned and what was there was a huge amazing main frame 8 prolly in the 160s or pushing 170 big frame..had me pinned dead.. and i was on my but nothing I could do but let him go.. never spooked him but had I been standing he would have been a dandy on the wall.

21-Oct-14
I remember two that I did not close the deal on. One I called in, he circled in behind me and stood at 15 yards faceing me while I was at full draw. I don't know how long I held. He finally turned and walked away. I took a slow walking shot and center punched a an 8" oak. That was a long time ago.

The other one was light rain, he cruised through from behind. by the time he was even with me at about 18 yards I had the bow up and ready but he never presented a good shot. It was peak rut and he was on a mission, never stoped.

Third one doesn't really count. 12 pointer approached, I was on the ground on this one. I had the bow up and ready as he turned sideways I saw the opposite side antler was missing. Did not take the shot.

Does this one count? Average 8 pointer comes in fast and is right under me. I took the shot and he turned himself inside out so fast I missed clean. I actually thought I had him because the string tracker went with him but turned out he just got tangled up in it. (don't use one any more) That was 2 days before gun season. Next day the wind is wrong so I setup in a different tree. He comes down the same trail and 15 yards before where I had been the previous day he stops and looks up the tree I was in the day before. I say checkmate to myself and drilled him.

21-Oct-14
Last year was the first year in 30+ years I did not take or draw on an animal. This did not go over well with a wife that turned into a venison monster. I have prided myself on taking only quality close shots, and that only comes with setting up in the right spots. I had an issue a few years ago with T.P. and shooting fingers, but reluctantly I switched to a release and resolved that. Blown chances and having stupid things happen at the moment of truth? Oh, I've had many. Generally on truly the biggest trophy's. But, when your in the woods as much as me throughout the years, you'll have that. It keeps me going.

21-Oct-14
live2hunt + 1.

21-Oct-14
Live - dont let Zinger hear you mention TP! He states it isnt real!!! HA

21-Oct-14
15 years and I have lost 2 animals. Shot wise I know my limits and dont shoot if not comfortable. Not every shot has been a ringer but I will spend days looking for a poorly hit animal.

21-Oct-14
Pasq, You mis-took what I meant, or I didn't express it corectly which is probabaly more accurate. I do not believe in TP because in my mind it doesn't exist. Because we all know that it's a mental issue not a physical issue. If I refuse to acknowledge it I refuse to get it. I know I'm over simplifying it but it's worked for me. Individual results may vary!

21-Oct-14
OK - I did misunderstand then. Hope you never do.

• Sitka Gear