Will 21-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 21-Oct-14
Dr. Deer 21-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 21-Oct-14
Will 21-Oct-14
hickstick 22-Oct-14
hickstick 22-Oct-14
20-Oct-14
Hey guys, just wondering what type of sight y'all are using. I have an HHA 1 pin sight on now, but also have 2 back ups. One is a Trophy Ridge 1 pin and the other is a Fuse 3 pin. What are y'all using and how do you like it?

20-Oct-14
Hha 1 pin opti light ultra. Love it . 8 inch groups at 80 yards thought it was BS but if u practice this thing works. 35 yards and in this thing is dead on. Only negative is the amount of arrows I've ruined this year from slapping arrows to close together .

20-Oct-14
Just put on a HHA 1 pin Optimizer this season. Love it and well worth the $$.

20-Oct-14
Triijicon Accupin.

20-Oct-14
IQ micro 5 pin.

20-Oct-14
HHA 1 pin. Love it.

20-Oct-14
I like my HHA 1 pin too. its awesome that you sight in at 20 and 60 yards and its good out to 80 yards. The pre marked tapes are spot on for me. I even tried it with my Trophy Ridge 1 pin and it was pretty darn close. I had one encounter that made me rethink the 1 pin sight till I realized how easy it was to make the slight adjustment on the target without having to move my 25 yard pin for a 30-35 yard shot.

21-Oct-14
Robz7

you're not suggesting that the sight is creating great shots out to 80 yards, are you? You could mount a laser beam on the same bow and it would have little to no impact on improving shot placement.

Take some credit - YOU are the one making the shots. The sight just provides a point of reference, nothing more.

I have a seven pin sight still on my bow from my elk hunt out west, but I'm changing back to my HHA single for my first hunt this weekend. It's all you need in CT.

21-Oct-14
How dose an one pin bow sight work for different yardage? Dose one set the pin fo 30 yards then shoot high for a 40 yard shot , then low for a 20 yard shot. Or do you move the pin to a preset mark for the change in distance? I've tried to google "HHA one pin" but I work at a school and because it involves weapons the all website are blocked . This computer at work is the only internet access I have.

While I'm asking questions. Whats this 80 yard talk. Can the new bows really shoot 80 accurately? I know my PSE is 20 years old, but I can't keep them in a hay bale past 50.

Also whats the deal with this 33 yard talk or 26.5 yard? do you guys get that precise with yardage when taking a shot? Is range finder used for this level of accercy or dose one bring a tape measure to your tree stand and set a ring of pinecones at one yard intervals around your tree stand. thnks -Duncan

21-Oct-14
Currently I use an HHA Optimizer. I've used it for close to 8 years I think. It's held up great. I only adjust it for other yardages when target shooting. Thus it's set for 20 to 80 (20 feels really simple to shoot if you can practice at 80 some).

Hunting I set it at 27yds. I read some where that was a good distance for a single pin hunter and it's worked great for me.

People will call BS, but, with that as the set yardage that I hunt with, I am within 2-3" (hitting high) at 10-15yds. At 30 I'm 2-3" low. At 40 I'm 6-8" low.

I think the reason for those ranges is that I'm not a super archer like a lot of guys. I can shoot 6" groups at 40-50yds right now. So the low distances I see in practice are impacted by variance within my groupings as well.

I learned early that I get all excited and picking a pin seems harder than thinking aim on, aim a hair low, am a hair high or aim for just under the spine. Works for me.

Prior to the HHA I had a single pin sight that was a non slider, you just set it, and that was that. I think it was made by Impact archery and it was a really solid single pin.

21-Oct-14
Duncan,

there are a couple of different single pin sights. The simplest is a fix position single pin where you set it to (pick a distance) say 20 yards, and adjust your aim based upon the distance you're shooting. So a deer at 30 yards would require you to hold the pin high on the shoulder and at 10 yards a bit low.

Then there's the adjustable single pin, where you have a lever that swings the pin up or down to pre-marked points that represent 20 yds, 30 yrds, 40 yds, etc, and you get to decide what those pre-marked yardages are based upon sighting in the bow.

Your 20 year old bow is ok for close shots, but not the longer ones mentioned, and quite honestly if anyone is saying they shoot deer all the time in CT at 80 yds I would find that hard to believe, and I'm trying to be nice about it. Most guy will say 20 yards is where they kill most deer with a bow.

I practiced out to 60 yards with my bowtech and after a few weeks of practice I was able to hit the lungs on a life size elk target 8 out of 10 shots, and the other 2 were just out of the lung area.

Don't get caught up in shooting way out, you'll end up wounding an losing lots of deer, get frustrated and find another sport. Getting close is the key and the challenge, and you're well on your way.

21-Oct-14
For many years I used two pins. I called them "close" and "far". They were 20 and 40 yards. If the was close, I used the upper pin. At my max range (40) the bottom pin. In between, I just used the gap and got the deer. The past couple of years, I am using the HHA one pin. We'll see how it goes. Only have a few kills and no mess-ups yet. I am better on targets with it, that's for sure.

21-Oct-14
Dr

we're all better on targets, you got that right.

It's like a practice swing in golf,.... it looks great and feels great. Now put that little white ball down and try to hit it!!! All hell breaks loose and you wonder where in the hell did that swing come from.

The only reason I went to the 5 pin was for elk out west where I was shooting out to 60 yards, and didn't feel comfortable holding high, higher, highest.

21-Oct-14
Just want to be clear, I only shoot paper/foam @ 80 for practice. 40 is absolute max on a live animal, and it would have to be a very good situation for me to do that. Most of the time, I try to set up for 10-25 yard shots.

Duncan I know a lot of guys get crazy detaily. I used to. I have to much on my plate now with life to be worried to much. Set up so you can make shots that you feel good about and be happy with that.

Dr Deer I feel in good company, I used to shoot the exact same set up (20 and 40 pins) prior to going single pin :)

22-Oct-14

hickstick's embedded Photo
hickstick's embedded Photo
how bout no pins?

22-Oct-14
on my compound I have one fixed pin set dead on at 25 yards. like Will, inch or two high in close, inch or two low 35yds. beyond that I don't shoot.

• Sitka Gear