martinjame 21-Oct-14
NWO 21-Oct-14
wibuckwatch 21-Oct-14
Dampland 21-Oct-14
Drop Tine 22-Oct-14
cblood 22-Oct-14
WausauDug 22-Oct-14
20-Oct-14
I haven't put out my trail cams this yr. Thinking that mature bucks aren't fans of the cams and have learned to avoid em. Similar to bait piles, I think bucks associate the cams with humans and danger. What are your thoughts? Am I giving the big boys too much credit?

Before you reply, when I put my cams out all precautions are taken to make them scent free (many yote, wolf, and bear pics) and each is fairly well hidden.

Thanks!

20-Oct-14

10orbetter's embedded Photo
10orbetter's embedded Photo
I agree and here is evidence. He walked away never to return.

20-Oct-14
I do believe the flash or in fared cams effect the bucks. I'm Goin to all blackout cams.

20-Oct-14
I used homebrew flash for years but now use no glow IR in other words, black out. I think it is best with all of the cams it is best to place the cam high on a tree trunk and aim down. The deer do not see them but if placed eye level even the no glow black out cams are noticed in time.

I must also say that there have been a lot of repeat photos of nice bucks on cam at eye level so there are other things to consider. Scent and how often one visits them are things to think about. Each buck has a unique disposition.

I also have deer that definitely see the box on the tree but do not care and get curious due to the many photos in sequence.

In the end I believe high up pointing down is the best unless you are using plot watching or time lapse.

20-Oct-14
I don't really think they care, you're giving them too much credit. If the glow bothered them that bad they would avoid roads at all costs because of the headlights as well you would think. I get consistent bucks at night infront of the camera and they maybe look up, but they generally continue doing whatever it is they were up to before they saw the glow.

20-Oct-14

kummer's embedded Photo
kummer's embedded Photo
This guy isn't scared of the camera

21-Oct-14
I have been using trail cameras for over 10 years now, and have gotten bucks on camera numerous times at various cameras, both on white flash and infrared flash. This includes mature (3 year old or older) bucks that have been photographed repeatedly at the same camera over the span of days, weeks, or even months.

Bottom line, I believe that most deer, bucks included are not bothered by trail cameras. Sure, there are most likely exceptions, but In the last 10 years, I can only think of a handful of bucks killed on my property, that we didn't have prior tail camera pictures of.

Not only this, but most of my cameras in October and November, are placed over Mock Scrapes.

21-Oct-14
I agree... but i hunt in very over hunted areas... In these areas deer cams light the woods like Ohare on a clear night.

After years of guys feeding and shooting deer and molesting their areas.. I believe many if not all mature if there are any. Will avoid a camera trap once they find it.

21-Oct-14
Some cameras make an audible click, but the newer ones typically don't. I think what you're encountering is a lot of mature bucks are roamers and you will only catch them once as the move through an area, unless you happen to find their core area, but very likely if you check your camera frequently you may cause him to relocate. Your scent is more of a factor then cameras and they don't have the ability to reason. It's no different then a big buck walking by a house or parked vehicle. Inanimate objects alone typically don't put deer on alert, IMO.

21-Oct-14
Appreciate the responses gents. Perhaps I'm giving em too much credit. My rationale was that other hunters would be careless with leaving scent on the camera through continuously checking and soon enough the buck would avoid any and all cameras.

For reference I use the Bushnell Trophy cam, check em every two to three wks.

Happy hunting!

21-Oct-14
I've been using trail cams for over 12+ years I think. From my experiences, some do some don't. I've had 1.5 year olds spook, I've had 4.5 yr olds that didn't care one bit. I would say keep as scent free as you can (as you do), keep your scent in the area around the cams as scent free as you can, etc.

I know a guy that only puts his cams in areas that he can get to with his ATV. He checks them while sitting on his ATV. His thought, he drives his property with the ATV all year long so the deer have become used to it. I can't say I would disagree with him and his method. BC

21-Oct-14
All you need is window tint and you have a blacked out camera. I have been using window tint over my lights for over a year now. The pictures have not changed and the deer no longer look the camera at night.

21-Oct-14
I do not think that bucks fear trail camera's at all. Everyone who thinks that they have the ability to reason their thoughts and draw conclusions are giving the deer more credit and brains then they have.

The bottom line is that they can't process that type of information. If they were able to, they would be able to avoid camera's all together and when they were caught on camera at some point in their life, they would be able to avoid them forever.

21-Oct-14
I have pictures of the same 5 bucks from June til now. A couple smaller ones and two giants. They haven't shown any avoidance of them. I think a couple people have said it here already. Stay away from the flash bulb pictures, they spoke the deer (the deer will return, but it will be a few days), and don't over check your cameras. Going to the woods even twice a week will turn deer to other paths and trails, because at some point you will leave some scent. The camera's can handle thousands of pictures these days. I check mine once every two weeks, during the midday.

21-Oct-14
I have seen bucks bolt when the IR is on video mode.

21-Oct-14
Double lung i've tested that and thats not true..you can still see a bright red glow during the flash..

Cheap black out cam I couldn't see anything during flash. I could hear the camera click but couldn't see a thing.

At least that's what I saw when I tried it.

Having said that the browning blacked out cameras I have the night pictures have no range to speak of, but the deer don't notice the camera.

21-Oct-14
Bow crazy,

I check my trail cameras ever 1-2 weeks, and almost always at mid-day using my ATV. I am a firm believer that the deer are much less spooked by my atv, than when I'm walking around.

I see bucks all the time on my camera within hours of me checking the camera via ATV. They seems not to care, unless I am driving right at them, and get to close. Otherwise, I often drive by deer within 20 yards, and they just stay in the brush, watching me go by. many times not even standing up from their beds.

My most adverse reactions by deer to my trail cameras, was years ago, when the cameras made noticeable "clicks", as the night filter, or the lens shutter opened, prior to taking a picture. Newer cameras (Bushnell, Moultrie,etc don't make a noise anymore.)

22-Oct-14

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
This was with an old Leaf River cam. It and a few others that have bedded there never spooked from trail cams.

22-Oct-14
So I'm givin em too much credit is what I'm hearing? Appreciate the feedback, gents. Thanks.

22-Oct-14
i have lots of pics of bucks freaking out at older Cuddy cameras. I have a new Moultrie 880 and the deer are fine w/ it

• Sitka Gear