smokey 23-Oct-14
smokey 23-Oct-14
Pasquinell 23-Oct-14
Screwball 28-Oct-14
Novemberforever 28-Oct-14
Naz MacBook 28-Oct-14
Turkeyhunter 28-Oct-14
21-Oct-14
I was thinking we should get some hogs in this state . I’m thinking mainly the National Forest . I know they have a bad reputation , but if we are not going to fill the forest with deer let’s put some hogs in there . I can’t sleep at night knowing that there is 1.5 mil acres out there , and a lot of it is empty of game . I would like to turn it into a bowhunting paradise . This could possibly be a very stupid Idea but what’s the harm in trying . If we don’t like them we can hunt them down with helicopters and get rid of them . I hunted hogs in two different states and they were a blast to bowhunt , just plain Kool with a capital K LOL . Of course they don’t have any bone on their heads but they come in packs and you get a lot of action . Also they take care of themselves it seems . Once there in and established they are everywhere.

Does anybody else love hog hunting ? Anybody know if the habitat we have in the national forest is a fit for hogs also how do they do with bear and wolf around ?

21-Oct-14
Horrible idea.

You will get your wish soon enough though. 20 years from now they will be prolific in all the lower 48 states.

I would have fun killing them though, but I wouldn't trade what we have now for that. There are already a couple pockets in Wisconsin but they have been kept in check or completely eliminated.

A lot of things would suffer including the grouse, and turkey population to name a couple.

21-Oct-14
Non native species so it will never happen. The US Forest Service would never process the EA for this. Yes, a very bad idea. And you would not be able to get them killed off using helicopters.

Try something like better habitat for the whitetail which is native.

21-Oct-14
No way! Leave them for the morons in Texas!

21-Oct-14
I'd rather see moose, elk, or even fallow deer introduced to the state, than hogs.

21-Oct-14
Morons in TX that’s funny, I like that . George Bush is from TX . He had a great line , it was--- “what’s so great about being stupid” something like that . OK so forget the hogs . Can’t we get something else going ? That a lot of land . I would take the fallow deer. Seems like you would need to close down a lot of roads for moose or elk . Sounds like we need a takeover , if its hostile so be it . Why not use this mass of land ? Max it out for hunting . I’m mean who’s paying the bills ?

21-Oct-14
O.K. First. Where are you from, the north? Just asking to see if you are from the area and familiar with USFS.

Again fallow deer are non native so it ain't gonna happen, no EA would even start. As for moose, brainworm. Elk are here with more coming in soon.

There are deer out there already we just need to get the Feds to improve the habitat. A tough job but a large enough group might have a chance I just don't see anyone working to get deer managed on the landscape there.

Who's paying the bills. All tax payers; hunters and non-hunters. SOOO....

21-Oct-14
Trust me that is the LAST thing you want in your state !They do mo more damage than you could possibly think of!

21-Oct-14
Trust me that is the LAST thing you want in your state !They do mo more damage than you could possibly think of!

21-Oct-14
He is from Texas! Smoked him out right away. Non Native species, never going to happen.

21-Oct-14
Wonder how hogs would fare in wolf country???

21-Oct-14
You can catch Brucellosis and Tularemia from them. Dogs can catch Pseudorabies

21-Oct-14
NO!

22-Oct-14
Howatt Don’t worry about who the master baiter is. Lets worry about the master plan for public land . You made it clear that you believe this is the best state to hunt . In your mind there is no better place . You have numbers , and you have ideas , well so do I and I don’t believe that . I think all the public land could be better . I don’t think we use it wisely . I think there are people with bad traditions ,and bad policies being made that are blocking something that could be great . What is so great about having a huge culture that loves to hunt and then having no plan to provide them quality public places to go . Talk about really dumb , that's really dumb. This post was partly out of frustration with having mass amounts of public land that could be used a lot better .

22-Oct-14
"This post was partly out of frustration with having mass amounts of public land that could be used a lot better ."

Hunts now include deer, bear, grouse,wolves,trapping and soon elk.Introducing hogs into Wisconsin is beyond ignorant. I live in Ca. and they are a menace to habitat.In one thread You are quoting fathers of conservation and now this? What's next Ltl? How about stocking asian carp in all waterways so the fish are literally jumpin in the boat?

22-Oct-14
Bingo Jim bingo!

22-Oct-14
"This post was partly out of frustration with having mass amounts of public land that could be used a lot better ."

So again, why look to non-native species. Why not look to the native species as November mentioned? Do you have any idea of the process to get a plan to manage the species on USFS lands?

If so it would be great if there were a drive to do so but I have not seen anyone hunting org. doing so when it comes to deer.

22-Oct-14

Geitz's embedded Photo
Geitz's embedded Photo
Yep, wouldn't it be awesome to have wild pigs when other states want them gone. More blame goes to deer for over browsing. lol

"What sort of bs can we expect next from lil jim? "

Probably something like a poster said about a year ago: "I can't wait until CWD spreads to all counties so we will have a statewide baiting ban."

22-Oct-14
Geitz I'm a life WBHer what the is going on . Grandma taught me two things , #1 never to pee into the wind . and # 2 was to treat everyone with respect . One thing I didn’t realize was how many Hero’s there are on the WI bowsite . I was thinking there might be someone that would have an idea for improving public land use . I had one idea, I didn’t say it was the greatest idea there ever was . Then I get blasted . What does it say when you have no ideas, all you can do is just spew out hatred by typing some clever words . I just don’t understand it . Humility is a good trait, arrogance is not . that being said I might be more like you some of you than you think . I have to say It does seem like if you own land , a trail camera, and grow deer your considered hero around here . You do realize there are lot of guys out there that get it done without doing it the way you do , Also they laugh at what you call hunting . Just so you realize that , it’s true.

22-Oct-14
Sorry Jim I guess you should have just asked what can we do with the public land to help the deer herd population. But that has been asked and turns into a pizzing match.

So you take a different approach and state the same but use pigs as a segway and even say you know it wont work and get chewed anyway.

Geitz are you still the Legal Liaison for the WBH?

Howatt/RC I wont be eating anymore of your chili at Sherwood anymore! Take that!

Smokey I appreciate your input as a forestry guy.

22-Oct-14
I have been trying to get the point across that there is a system with the USFS and why it would only work with native species.

A Forest Plan revision will be coming up (I don't know when at this time) and hunters really will need to be on the ball when it does. When each District is doing EAs the hunting community really needs to get involved and better organized. SO far only RMEF, RGS and WTF have been involved and effective. I have never seen anyone there dealing with deer on any EA.

USFS is required to scope these projects and take any and all public input. If one hunters writes in or attends a meeting with a comment it will be in the record of that EA but it doesn't mean anything will get done. A well organized effort however might work.

I understand that Tammy Baldwin had the FS Chief on the Nicolet recently for a town meeting to let the locals express the concerns. We need more of that.

22-Oct-14
Smokey I am ignorant to some of the lingo... I know RMEF,WTF but RGS??? I am assuming EA is Evaluation..?

How will we know when the forestry plan revision meetings will be held? USFS web sight?

Jeff G is WBH involved at all in this?

22-Oct-14
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Wild Turkey Federation, Ruffed Grouse Society.

EA= Environmetal Analysis.

I am trying to find out when the Plan will be revised and will get back to all. The last time the did the plan it took them WAY longer than it should. Too much foot dragging, employee burn out. I suggest keeping an eye on the Chequamegon-Nicolet website and local papers. Organizations and individuals can get on mailing lists too.

I have sent Jeff some things and will be working with him and WBH in the future. Another reason bowhunters should join WBH so we have a strong voice. It is about habitat on the USFS lands. Our National Forests.

22-Oct-14
A few more things. I am used to using acronyms as the FS is big on that so it is OK to ask what I mean.

There are a lot of FS employees that hunt but like those here there are not always thinking the same thought. Another point I was trying to make is a question " I’m mean who’s paying the bills ?"

All tax payers are paying with Federal taxes but no hunting license fees.

22-Oct-14
Smokey I would rejoin if I thought it would make a difference. I do hunt the big woods and deer sightings for our group has surely gone down the last few years but that is another topic sort of.

Although a smaller group have you ever been in touch with anyone on the WTA board? (Traditional Archers)

They would at least be representing a small voice. I live down in Kenosha but will be willing to help in any way I can.

22-Oct-14
I have to say that if WI already had pigs, they sure would be fun to hunt as an extra season but I know adding them was not really the intent of the post. Of course pigs should not be added to WI. Gotta agree with Jimmy that some TLC is needed in the woods on public land. Unfortunately, the WDNR brought in a guy (Dr. Kroll) who is all about privatization. Kroll is a very good consultant but he really doesn't give a poop about public land hunters. That said, Kroll did say to address the central and northern forests but the DTR didn't think it was worthy enough to address.

22-Oct-14
LilJimmy.....As others have stated prior to my post, hogs are nothing but destructive. The problem is the public land usuage is just that....for the public. Much is restricted by Fed law and state/county lands are managed somewhat the same way....for everyone.

When you come on here asking for a revolution, you should realize we are a minority. We also have been up against a different thought process on deer management (Deer 2000). Change does not happen over night. What we've seen in the last 3 years is a different thought process on deer/habitat management. This change doesn't happen overnight. But being critical of people/orgs who are trying to make change and a DNR willing to listen, doesn't help.

Preditor control and proper forestry is our biggest issue. State forest have seen an increase harvest the last year or so. We must have proper habitat to support a herd large enough for everyone's(hunters) approval. Prior to 2004ish, we had places over 100+ DPSM. This was an extreme and hindered our habitat and deer herd health. After Deer 2000, deer were manage to a specific number which was not backed by science in that given area. Hence, numbers are where we at now.

A huge problem is people in general. Everyone loves big trees but it doesn't support a large population. Some landowners and the general sight seeing public(public land for everyone) like BIG TREES.

Preditors are also a key issue. We battle every year for the right to manage the wolves. Very few hunters try to manage other preditors(yotes). To place a destructive animal like a pig in WI would be terrible.

Yes, I have communicated with Smokey on the USFS plan and I hope he can be a big assistance to WBH.

"Geitz are you still the Legal Liaison for the WBH? "

Yep. Along with other director duties, helping out at our local club and others, writing/getting approval for 2 DNR "Learn to Bow Hunt" grants, DNR committees and raising a 4,8 and 10 yr old. I do occasionally get to bow hunt when my wife isn't or my 10 yr old daughter doesn't want me to mentor her bow hunting.

Yes, there are many times I'd love to quit. Hearing all the bickering about how terrible things are or how bad WBH is. But I can't because I can't count on someone else stepping up to the fight.

The ONLY reason I do this is my kids and (someday) my grandkids. I want them to have the same opportunity as I had.

Hunters are their worst enemy.

22-Oct-14
Hunted hogs in south Texas a number of years ago with a buddy. A bow shop down there said to contact some of the high fence operators. Found a guy that let us hunt for something like $50 a day because the hogs killed the fawns on the ranch. He did warn us about arrowing a deer however.

$4500 for a 160 B&C buck plus $400 for each point above 160 (gross). That was a dozen years ago.

Costs big bucks to run a 5000+ acre high fence operation with a private landing strip. Deer down there are shot off of solar-powered mechanical feeders from comfy ground huts. When the feeder goes off it's cattle call time.

The hog hunting was good. We did some after dark when the hogs were moving and not taking a siesta. I'd do it again.

23-Oct-14
bad idea LTL Jimmy, ..I mean Ron :)

23-Oct-14

smokey's Link
We need to start a USFS thread to get off here but here is a link to some of the Chequamegon-Nicolet information, This is a link to SOPA (Schedule of Proposed Actions). I have posted this before but it shows things link opening maintenance projects or logging such as that due to the recent storm here in the Hayward area. It shows how people can comment on these projects. You can do it, the environmentalist surely comment as does the DNR, the Tribes as well as a few hunting orgs.

23-Oct-14

smokey's Link
Here is the link to the main Chequamegon-Nicolet webpage.

As for Forest Plan revision. They are done every 10-15 years with the last one done in 2004. So I would sat we are close to a revision but so far I have heard of nothing started.

23-Oct-14
Thanks Smokey. I think a USFS thread would be great.

28-Oct-14
In the past three decades, wild pigs have been spreading across America like crazy—to the tune of 5 million of the porkers in 39 states. The pigs have been part of the landscape since the 1600s, when early settlers allowed them to roam; some escaped, though their numbers have long been relatively few and largely limited to the South.

It's unclear what's behind the recent surge, but experts are working hard to find a way to contain them, Scientific American reports. Between the damage they cause and efforts to control them, wild pigs cost some $1.5 billion per year.

ADVERTISEMENT In addition to eating crops, they can ruin fields by digging, threaten local species, and contaminate streams with their feces. "I've never seen any one species that can affect so many livelihoods and resources," says a Texas official.

The federal government is directing $20 million toward thinning their ranks. The USDA program involves destroying the wild pig population in two states every few years, starting with the states that have the fewest pigs.

Among techniques for doing so are trapping, shooting pigs from helicopters, and sending a radio-collared "Judas pig" to reveal the whereabouts of his group. Meanwhile, some experts are calling for poisoning the animals.

In addition to the government program, locals are taking on the task: A church recently sought crossbow hunters to protect pumpkins in Texas, the Houston Chronicle reports, while a hunter in Nebraska recently killed a 400-pound pig; the Omaha World-Herald has a rather alarming picture.

(On the bright side, at least the pigs here aren't radioactive.)

This article originally appeared on Newser: America's Ravenous $1.5B Problem: 5M Wild Pigs

28-Oct-14

Novemberforever's Link
Here's how extreme eradication efforts have become. 200 lb. destructive rats that breed every 60 days.

The Dnr will introduce hogs when pigs learn to fly! Oops, I guess they have.

28-Oct-14

Naz MacBook's embedded Photo
Naz MacBook's embedded Photo
Pigs have been flying for more than a decade in my neck of the woods.

28-Oct-14

Turkeyhunter's Link
Could be worse.

Consider the threat of wild hogs cancelling trick or treat...

• Sitka Gear