Bob McArthur 22-Oct-14
Bob McArthur 22-Oct-14
RC 22-Oct-14
Flintknocker 22-Oct-14
Bourbonator 22-Oct-14
Dparkguy 22-Oct-14
Bourbonator 22-Oct-14
21-Oct-14
I was contacted to do some deer "removal" on a small property in 5C. The property is only 1 1/2 acres and there are 10-15 deer that cruise around at dusk eating some fancy landscaping plants. Never saw anything like it in my 10 years of bow hunting. There are neighboring properties that are also 1 1/2 acres. I love helping people out but I'm wondering if it will be worth it given the potential problems that could arise. All of the neighboring houses are more than 50 yards from where a stand could be set up. Anyone else face these challenges?

22-Oct-14
I've been hunting a property like that for 13 years...my back yard. My property is 1 2/3 acres, right smack in the middle of the neighborhood. I own a small strip of woods with a creek flowing through it, and it is a major funnel for deer.

What I've learned about avoiding problems with neighbors:

The deer know when you're a threat, and, they know when you're not. Mature Urban & suburban deer are smarter than the big woods deer...there's more things that can harm and/or kill them than in the big woods.

Only shoot a relaxed deer. If it's acting nervous, don't even think about shooting .

You must take out both lungs, anything other may result in your deer going 100 or more yards through the neighborhood. You want them to drop within 35 to 40 yards so double lung is the only shot to take.

Keep all shots very close, a neighborhood is no place for 30 & 40 plus yard shots because they are going to run at least that far after the hit...if you take out both lungs at short range.

You'll need to figure out the normal dailey and weekly patterns of the neighboring properties, and use them to your advantage.

Remove your gut piles. You don't want the neighbors dogs going home with bloody faces. You also don't want to stink up the neighborhood with decaying entrails.

Manyt times it's best to let the deer lay and come back. And get it out after it gets dark.

If a neighbors dog starts barking...grab your bow, chances are you're about to have some action.

You'll figure things out. Good luck!

22-Oct-14
Bob, I like your suggestion of grabbing the bow when you hear the dogs barking. Lots of times that was true on this one small property my family had permission to hunt. I'd say 98% of the time if a dog was barking I saw deer. The other 2% it was some other larger animal.

Discretion is your ally when it comes to neighborhood hunting.

22-Oct-14
I would consider to talking to the adjacent landowners as well. While there is always the chance for less than desirable 'results'...there is also an equal chance for 'windfall" ;) And then there's the old adage.. "honesty is the best policy", or... "Knowledge can set you Free", as in knowing all parameters let's you 'proceed' within guidelines with a clear conscience, and the inner peace of knowing you have done everything Right. I've said this here more than a couple times...I have never been afraid to knock on doors/with hat in hand. And the results in a lifetime of doing so..are overwhelming in favor of; "Yes, you may share our property with us...."

22-Oct-14
Dparkguy,

I'd recommend knocking on several (if not all) of the neighboring houses doors, hat in hand, and let them know that you have permission to hunt on Mr and Mrs XXX's property and see if you could gain permission to either hunt or at least trespass on the neighboring properties.

You may find that you have a lot more than just 1 1/2 acres to hunt on.

Or you may find that everyone else in the neighborhood is strictly anti-hunting and you may run into problems if a deer you hit runs into their backyard and drops dead in front of little Sally as she swings on the swing set.

Its good knowing what you're up against at the outset.

22-Oct-14
Sorry Ed - posted at the same time as yours.

Like minds...:^)

22-Oct-14
I agree with everything Flintnocker said, but, sometimes, sometimes, the SRA's have exceptions to the rules. Sometime you have to take a couple of doe out of a neighborhood and have your property owner talk to the neighbors for you, telling them what a great and efficient job you're doing.

22-Oct-14
Example of using neighbos patterns to your advantage. One neighbor on the other side of the woods has landscapers show up o. Thursday' around 3:30. Each visit they dump the leaves into the woods. This pushes the deer directly to my stand on the creek. I bet I've killed around 12 or 13 deer using that little technique.

22-Oct-14
It's like shooting fish in a barrel out there... :)

22-Oct-14
Dave, I am highly honered that you would consider we have 'like minds' :) Always thought your's was a bit more enlightened than my own :) But it is so very cool we were on the same wave length at the very same time:) Miss you a lot too.

ed :)

22-Oct-14
It's tough hunting urban woods. I don't miss the days of me with a flashlight getting tangled in swing sets. I haven't done it for years, but if you shoot and have to look for the deer, your in for an adventure.

22-Oct-14
Living in a special regulation area certainly has its advantages. A season that starts in September and runs until the end of January gives us plenty of opportunities to reduce the deer population and fill a freezer or two. Seeing herds of 10-20 deer roaming through a residential neighborhood getting handouts from the people makes my head spin. The same herd that runs across a road and gets hit by a car or finds its way into the center of a local town causes more than a few problems. I've never attempted to hunt a property that is too close to neighbors. I've always enjoyed larger properties with more space to enjoy the art of hunting. I deployed a trail cam on the small property I received permission to hunt to get a better handle on how the deer move and when they move. All of your advise is very much appreciated!

22-Oct-14
I hunted special reg area for years, and your exactly right about the herds of deer. Just make a good shot and everything will be fine. Good Luck, have fun.

• Sitka Gear