PSEUSER 22-Oct-14
PSEUSER 22-Oct-14
GoJakesGo 22-Oct-14
Knife2sharp 22-Oct-14
Knife2sharp 22-Oct-14
Dampland 22-Oct-14
PSEUSER 22-Oct-14
22-Oct-14
I recently bought the Boss Buck decoy. I've never bow hunting with a whitetail decoy before. On the land that I hunt, I've got about 4 bucks around 140-150 inches. I was just wondering where/when would be the best time to use the decoy. Do I use in areas where I've got pictures of these bucks. Also does it matter if I use in the morning vs. the evening. I'm new to this message board but I'm interested in hear what people say.

Thanks and safe hunting!

22-Oct-14
I would start using the decoy anytime now. Remember bucks will almost always approach the decoy head on, so position the decoy and yourself accordingly.

22-Oct-14
Should I only use in open fields and food plots or can I use it in the timber too?

22-Oct-14

PSEUSER's embedded Photo
PSEUSER's embedded Photo
This is the buck I really want to get a shot at.

22-Oct-14
Rattle or grunt to get your targeted bucks attention. Place your buck decoy in an semi open area so approaching deer can see it. Spray it down with scent killer after set up.

Ive hunted with decoys before but have yet to get a buck to take the bait.

22-Oct-14
I like to decoy and rattle on evening sits starting around the 19th or 20th of October through the end of the month. I like evenings because bucks have been bedded and they may get the desire to get up early to check out the intruders in his area. When decoying you want it in an open area, but when I rattle without a decoy I like setting up next to cornfields, since they feel safe walking along the edges and there's less chance of them circling downwind. I guess if woods is pretty open, you could try it in the timber.

22-Oct-14
I just got a feeding doe decoy to use in November when bucks are seeking does. Someone from this site mentioned the feeding pose doesn't put the does on alert. I've never used my decoy as a doe for fear of that, but it makes sense. One of my areas has a pond in the woods and I'd like to try it their too, since the pond is long and there's thick cover nearby, so if a buck comes in one end he may come to the decoy and give me a shot opportunity.

22-Oct-14
PSEuser,

I believe you can successfully use a decoy at this time of year.

I am not claiming to be the guru of decoys, but here are the things I do with my decoys.

-place the decoy against brush so the decoy cannot be approached from the rear.

-Use something to add movement to the tail/ears. I use shredded plastic, that blows even in the lightest wind.

-make sure the decoy is not covered with human scent. I spray mine down with a ton of scent killer after placing them in their spot.

-I only ever use 1 antler for my buck decoy, as I feel it makes other bucks feel braver to approach a buck with a "broken " rack.

-I often use a bedded doe decoy, along with my standing buck decoy.

-be prepared for does to freak out about the decoys, they always seem to get upset by them. But they don't always run off.

good luck

22-Oct-14
I appreciate the tips! It's unfortunate the weather is going to be warming up this weekend. If I didn't have to work until 4 during the week I'd be out there already! I'm looking for to November though. I'll be spending 4 days up in Rusk Country hunting the 6-8 then in Manitowoc County the 13-16. Hopefully the rut activity will be in full swing! Good luck to all!

• Sitka Gear