saltgrassarcher 24-Oct-14
Flintknocker 24-Oct-14
horsethief51 26-Oct-14
Bourbonator 26-Oct-14
horsethief51 28-Oct-14
saltgrassarcher 28-Oct-14
Flintknocker 31-Oct-14
22-Oct-14
Last coupla years I've noticed a growing interest in the ranks to 'investigate' mushrooms. I applaud the interest, can't imagine everyone not wanting to know more about our environments...and taking some satisfaction in procuring 'food' from nature.

However, this is not any fool's gambit. A single mistake can kill you dead as mushroom soil, and your passing won't be much fun. I've been dabbling in this for nearly 20 years...I know just an even dozen w/o doubt..and I stick to them, strictly.

There are 'cautions' such as no alcohol first time, no alcohol anytime, must be cooked fully, too far 'gone'..count on using a lot of water in the porcelain bowl fer a while.

My advice...buy some books, more than few, read 'em almost religiously until you understand free gills, veils, forked gills, detached and attached gills, what the phrase 'look alikes' could mean. Read 'em cover to cover. Take no chances, find someone who KNOWS what they're doing, and would first offer you all the same advice I am.

Some of the world's most complex chemical compounds are found in fungi (mushrooms). That includes some of the planets deadliest toxins..which ironically enough all end in "ins". PA has over 4,000 species of fungi, as many as any other local on planet earth. They are all beautiful in their own right...just so happens that many of them are also deadly.

You'll learn abbreviations such 'LBMs", Little brown mushrooms. With the exception of one...I avoid them like the plague. Too many absolutely deadly 'look alikes'. Same with white mushrooms, save a scant few. Those few..have no similarities whatsoever to host of others will shut your kidneys down permanently.

don't write it all off as possible, ain't no such thing. Get schmart first, don't get dead. Learn and go real slow. That way we all get to celebrate your fungal adventures for a long time to come. :)

ed

23-Oct-14
Perfect advice.

I know a some edible ones with certainty because they are so unique and easily identified... usually. At LEAST early on, shrooming is more about study than anything. Years later, I still study them in earnest.... and eat very, VERY few. To say that I'm overly cautious is an understatement.

When folks find out I regularly eat wild mushrooms, someone invariably wants to do it too and starts asking questions about how to I.d. them, takes pictures for me to look at, or brings them to me for inspection. I'm still learning myself, certainly no expert on them, and knowing the risks, very hesitant to give advice. If I'd eat it, I'll tell them so... but I don't know if they understand how unbelievably cautious I am with them.

When you DO eat one for the first time. Eat a small amount, tell someone 'near' to you what yer doing, and leave a sample handy in case someone else needs to discern what you've injested.

It's fun to seek and find them, fulfilling to know you're utilizing what nature provides, the right ones are very tasty and very healthy... but eat the wrong one, and it can kill you in less than an hour... so use yer head. Take it serious or let them be.

23-Oct-14
Hmmm..., thought about it and "getting dead" does not sound good ; )

23-Oct-14
Good advice Ed and Jeff! Going to get a couple books and study! don't know if I would ever eat them. I do love them sheephead shrooms and deer chops !

23-Oct-14

Kirkus's Link
Two of my co-workers are members of the Western PA Mushroom Club. The club hosts field trips throughout the year. I always wanted to go with some experts.

23-Oct-14

Kirkus's Link
Central PA Mushroom Club

23-Oct-14

Kirkus's Link
Eastern PA Mushroomers

23-Oct-14
Think I stumbled upon some sulphur shelfs when scouting last week. There were quite a few on a couple large, old oak stumps. Are there look a likes for them? How do they taste? I will try and post the pic of them I took (took some video too) when I get the chance.

23-Oct-14
Well said, Ed.....:)

24-Oct-14
great add in here Kirkus. I've been wanting to go to one of them myself for about ten years now, and just haven't been able to pull it off. On the 12th of this month I was doing a seminar at Little Pine State, and did discover that Penn State's mushroom guru had been at the other end of the grounds all day, and taken a group on a short loop of the Mid-State Trail. Park's educational director told me as we were packing up that they I.D. d nearly 2 dozen 'edibles' on the half hour hike. I missed doubling my knowledge, 'course I really couldn't have left my station. Thank you for adding that great piece of information in!!

24-Oct-14

saltgrassarcher's embedded Photo
saltgrassarcher's embedded Photo
Glad you're getting out and about, Ed. :):):) Found these and wondered what they were ??? Don't look healthy to me. Do you smoke 'em or stew 'em ?? heh heh heh

Kidding aside, think it would be great to go with a guide to learn to identify edibles of all kinds. They offer them in a lot of the state parks nationwide.

24-Oct-14
Olde Venerable Friend :) Get some books, yadda, yadda...see above. I KNOW you is a better read soul than me..but and only...'cause you got a few 'extra seasons' under your belt ;) I don't knopw from the photo what they is..but they sure look interesting. You do live in a different 'clime' ya know ;) But any man goes about the house foundation at those certain times of year when the scorpions are abundant...with a florescent lamp..'cause he knows they glow in the dark...well...me thinks ya'll get the hang of it pretty quick...w/o seriously injuring yerself :)

I'm also hoping...a few of the goodwits hereon this here website..take the clue...you and I get along jes fine:) I know some are already thinking...and that ain't bad :)

Real good to see you here, Real GOOD:)

e

26-Oct-14

horsethief51 's embedded Photo
horsethief51 's embedded Photo
I have a couple or three I know but I still check on line before I eat them.

26-Oct-14
Only the outer edges are good. The rest taste like wood!

28-Oct-14
It was a little late on those, but the tasty part was good in scrambled eggs.

28-Oct-14
you are a braver man than me -- think I'll wait till Ed can come and show me in person which ones I can eat !!!!! thanks for your photo, it looks like mine ---- the ones here look kinda slimy, gonna pass for now

most of the shrooms around here, seems like folks want to make some kind of "tea" out of ????

31-Oct-14
I have enough 'vices', I also avoid mushrooms from which 'tea' is brewed ;)

• Sitka Gear