Will 24-Oct-14
grizzlyadam 24-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 24-Oct-14
The Rookie 24-Oct-14
Cally24 25-Oct-14
soapdish 25-Oct-14
The Rookie 25-Oct-14
23-Oct-14
something i lack (as you can tell by my handle). I reside out of coventry and i am looking for someone who is willing to show me the ropes. I'm 21 years old and willing to absorb any information and tactics you have to offer. i understand that scent control and hunting the wind is very important but i need guidance in locating deer and things of that nature. let me know

23-Oct-14
Hey Rookie. Im from manchester but hunt in hebron, andover, sometimes coventry. If you want to get together let me know. I'm no expert but willing to help where i can.

24-Oct-14
dont get anal , it takes the fun out of it..dillegant and anal are two different things..

24-Oct-14
The more time in the field the better. Don't get so hung up on needing to get a deer, go about it as learning something every time out. Don't be afraid to explore and make mistakes. Scout year round as well. Winter is a great time to learn deer movements and new lands. Remember that all animals need to survive and breed so food, water, shelter (from predators, hunting pressure and weather). One thing to remember is every deer is different. Some will head out fast at the first sign of movement/sound/scent, others will stick around trying to figure out what you are. That's what makes this sport so enjoyable. It's the same but different every outing. Enjoy it. Experience and success will come so be patient.

24-Oct-14
I went and sat lastnight in a spot I need wind to be blowing north north east... Wind was blowing hard south...no deer..one red fox.. Didn't try to dart him...just get out there.. You can't catch a fish if you lines not in the water...same goes for hunting

24-Oct-14
I'm too far but if We were closer I would defenetley try to pass some of my experience to you.

I usually start people on:

1. Field Dressing 101

2. Dragging 101

I let you do that 5 or 6 times on my deer until you are ready for the next step.

:-)

24-Oct-14
what no pack dragging n coffee stirrin ...lol

24-Oct-14
Dont stress it. Read up and research. No one in my family ever hunted and had no guidance. Never hunted before last season. Ha walked into cabellas and said havent shot a bow in 30 years and gonna hunt. Fit me up. I read at least five books and even learned to field dress from watching youtube videos. I got 4 last season and have one so far this season. I also have kids so i can only hunt befre work in the morning. Usually 6-8am gotta be in work for 9. Just keep researching and hunt smart. Just sitting in a stand where you never see a deer is a waste of time and will burn you out. Use cameras to plan your hunt. You can do it bud.

24-Oct-14
CTCrow you are to dang funny!

Get out and hunt. getting in there is the biggest thing with seeing critters.

Will

24-Oct-14
Experience can only be gained by experience. Get out there as much as you can, it's o.k to make mistakes, many times the best way to learn how not to screw up is to screw up. Don't let yourself get discouraged, things will happen in time. These days there is more than enough info to point you in the right direction simply by doing searches for questions you have on this site alone. Most questions about just about anything have been done over and over time and time again here. You are still young, and have lots of time to hone your skills, learn to walk before you start to run. Very important to keep in mind that just about everything you see on tv or read in magazines is not even remotely close to reality for most deer hunters. Most of it is just presented in a way to sell stuff. All the gadgets and gizmos are like the new fishing lure, designed to catch fishermen and not fish.

24-Oct-14
Experience is great, HOWEVER - the first three years I hunted deer I was following their tracks the wrong way. I thought their foot had the toes open in front and the pointy part was the back. If it wasn't for an experienced hunter telling me the right way to look at things I'd still be walking away from deer instead of trying to track them down :(

24-Oct-14
thanks for the motivation and advice guys. i appreciate it

25-Oct-14
ALWAYS wear a legit fall restraint system while in a tree. Get yourself a composition notebook and make a daily journal. Location, phases of the moon, temperature, wind direction, critters that you saw, times that you saw them, how the deer behaved; etc. Read reputable trade articles. Practice often. Practice shooting from an elevated platform, using realistic scenarios.(things look way different from 20+ feet up a tree)

Be safe and most of all; have fun!

25-Oct-14
Do you hunt private land or state?

25-Oct-14
i hunt both. i live next to Nathan hale homestead in coventry and have the privilege of hunting private land in andover @soapdish

• Sitka Gear