exsanguinator 09-Nov-14
Dave G. 10-Nov-14
Ben Farmer 10-Nov-14
BOWJO 10-Nov-14
Treerat 10-Nov-14
Ben Farmer 10-Nov-14
RC 11-Nov-14
26-Oct-14
Decided to do a thread on my Ohio season this year again like I did a couple years ago. Will post some pics and update as my 2 week vacation unfolds.

Was gonna wait till next week to start this since my vacation dosent start till 'next week but my cousin Chad ( who lives in Ohio) had to go and tag out this morning!:) So, starting this a week early.

It will just be me and my brother hunting next week now. Only one more week of work! It can't get here soon enough!!:)

26-Oct-14

Ben Farmer's embedded Photo
Here is the 10pt Chad killed this morning. He killed him from a stand that we put in a new spot last year. This stand has been incredible so far!! Last year my brother saw 2 big bucks out of it the only time he hunted it. I missed a 140 plus 11pt out of it the only time I hunted it last year. Chad had two big bucks in bow range and got busted by both of them them last year. He only sat the stand twice. This morning was the first time in the stand this year.

26-Oct-14
Good luck, Ben..

26-Oct-14
Good luck Ben, My two week vacation starts tomorrow! Btw great buck Chad! Congrats.

26-Oct-14
Hope u have a great trip, look forward to updates!

27-Oct-14
Tell Chad congrats! And good luck to you next week!

I have an uncle that lives in Ohio and my nephew hunts out there near the Dayton area. THought of going out there one of these years to see what all the fuss is about! ;-)

27-Oct-14
Good luck, Ben!

27-Oct-14
Good luck! What area are you heading to? I'll be in Jackson county starting on the 8th.

27-Oct-14
I'll be in Fairfield mostly. We do have permission on one very small property in Ross County though. I'm gonna have to try it a day or two anyway, there is one very large buck in that area that we know of. We only have one stand hanging on that property.

Ben

27-Oct-14

Here is the buck that's been on and around the small property in Ross. Gotta try it a couple times!:)

27-Oct-14
Well that didn't work out very well! Hope I can shoot straighter then I post pictures!:)

27-Oct-14

Try a different pic

27-Oct-14

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
You compound boys hain't too smart.. :)

27-Oct-14
Lol Roy, guess not!:)

31-Oct-14
8 hrs to go and vacation starts!!

I'm leaving on Monday morning to go out even though vacation officially starts tomorrow! I figure I'll spend the weekend with my kids since I won't see them for a while. It's gets tougher and tougher leave them when I go away to hunt:(

Ben

03-Nov-14

On my way to Ohio now! I'll be in tree in the am. Waiting on my brother to come out of SAMs club right now, getting a few things to snack on in the tree.

Can't wait to check the cameras! Always a bunch of new bucks show up in October that I never get pics of in the summer. Cameras haven't been checked since beginning of September.

Hope the guy in the pic above is still alive! This pic is from last year. Got pics of him the last 3 years, never earlier then October 21st.

Ben

03-Nov-14
Go get him!!!

03-Nov-14
It's about time what the hell you been waiting fer? Good luck buddy, I'm calling my shot, you'll have a big en by Sunday!!!

Mike

03-Nov-14
This will be good! Safe travels and good luck Ben!

03-Nov-14
Thanks guys! Just got to my cousins house about a hour ago. Took a few shots and got everything organized. Been waiting all year for this!!

Hope your right Mike! My daughter told me I better hurry up and get one so I can get back home ....lol

Ben

04-Nov-14
Best of luck, Ben.

04-Nov-14

Thanks Roy!

Great start. Just had this buck follow a doe right under my stand at 6:50 am. Little 4 point is behind me now.

Ben

04-Nov-14
Yer to damn picky! LOL that looks like a great buck! Mike

04-Nov-14
Holy smokes there Ben Farmer, that's a pretty nice buck. Hope you see one that suits your fancy.

04-Nov-14
DINK...

04-Nov-14

I don't even know how to explain what just happened a hour ago at 8:30am! To much happened in. Short amount of time to type it all.

I saw a HUGE buck out in front of me at about 50 yards in some thick stuff. I tried grunting him in and when I did, I had the buck in the pic above walk down to 10 yards( trail pic from this summer). He then walked over to where the big one was and all hell broke lose!!

Long story short, they started chasing, I didn't know The time but the big buck was with a doe. The giant ended up running the doe past me at 5yards!! I bleated with my mouth as loud as I could about 4 times but couldn't get him to stop!!

I'm about sick right now. I've waited my whole life to see a buck like that! Oh, well. Good news is, I still have almost 2 weeks to hunt.

Ben

04-Nov-14
He gets a hall pass in OH!

04-Nov-14
I have two cams on this property now. Gonna pull the chip on one of them today. They been hanging since beginning of September. Pull the other chip when I hunt the other end of the property when the wind is right. Hoping I have a pic of the giant I saw this morning.

Ben

04-Nov-14
Sounds like a blast!

04-Nov-14
Ben, was it that buck we were talking about that you've been getting pictures of for three years? If so I'll trade you spots, you can be sick in one of mine just as easy but for different reasons LOL

Hang in there you'll get him

Mike

04-Nov-14

Mike, yep, I think that was him. First time any of us layed eyes on him. Got down at 11:00 and pulled the card on the cam. I'm about positive this is the one I saw this morning. He looked bigger running at me at 5 yards....lol

04-Nov-14

Another pic

04-Nov-14

Got this one also on that cam. This pic was 2 days ago

04-Nov-14

Another pic of the last buck

04-Nov-14
Those are some big bodied deer!

04-Nov-14
Dang!

04-Nov-14
In a different stand for this evening. My gut was telling me to go to a different property this afternoon because of the warm temps and strong wind we are getting but.. On the others hand, that big boy is close by somewhere with a hot doe. Just need her to move.

All total, I saw 6 or 7 bucks this morning. My brother saw 3 bucks and past on a 120s 8 pt.

Ben

04-Nov-14
Now I see why your sick, he'll I'm sick! You shoot that monster and I'll drive all the way down there just to buy you a beer! Good luck buddy you have some hogs there man!

Mike

04-Nov-14
Didn't see a thing from the stand tonight. My brother saw a doe and fawn right before dark.

I climbed out with a little light left and made my way out to a alfalfa field to meet my brother. That field is are only way in and out of this property, there is still standing corn in the other fields. When I got to the field, there was still a little light and the giant that ran under me this morning was out there with a doe. I squated down and watched him with my binos till I couldn't see anymore. They were heading to the other end of the field the last I saw him.

Gonna try the same two stands we were in this morning if the wind stays out of the SW.

Mike, if I kill him, I'm gonna hold you to that beer!!:)

Ben

04-Nov-14
That is a giant Ben! Good luck

04-Nov-14
Sounds like an awesome morning! Keep us posted tomorrow! Dress for rain!

04-Nov-14
actually sorry it isn't supposed to rain tomorrow, maybe some tonight but you'll be good tomorrow!

05-Nov-14
Good luck to you & your Bro Ben

Mike

05-Nov-14
All is quiet for the first hour. My brother seen a couple yotes but that's it so far.

I'm in the same stand as yesterday morning and my brother moved to the stand where my cousin killed the 10pt last week.

Ben

05-Nov-14

Almost 11:00 and still haven't seen a deer. All Ive seen is 3 squirrels, a bird, and a green bug:)

My brother just sent me this pic of a 10 point he just saw.

05-Nov-14
Treerats is lurking here to, think I saw thT bug also, and 10,000 geese

05-Nov-14
Lmao Mike, that bug was ugly SOB wasn't he?:)

05-Nov-14
Yep

05-Nov-14
Lol stick, yeah about that on his scale.

Hunted the alfalfa field where the big boy was with the doe last night this evening. New it was a long shot for him to show up again but had to try it. Ended up seeing two small bucks tonight.

Going to a different property in the morning. Weather is supposed to be warm and rain. Decided to give the property we were on the last two days a break till this cold front comes in.

Ben

06-Nov-14
Good luck Ben

07-Nov-14

I shot this 11 point this evening at around 5:30. Very tired right now so going to bed. Post more pics tomorrow.

Ben

07-Nov-14

Other side

07-Nov-14
Way to go Ben!! awesome!

08-Nov-14
Good job, Ben, and congrats!

08-Nov-14
Great job Ben... congrats!!!

08-Nov-14
Thanks guys.

I didn't post at all on Wednesday because of no internet service in the morning and was not in a good mood later.

Wednesday, my brother had a nice clean 12 point bed in some crp grass 80 yards from him. The wind was blowing about 30 mph so we decided I would try a stalk on him with him guiding me to him from the tree. I made it to about 25 yards and the buck stood up! I knew I was busted so I drew but didn't have a clear shot, I figured I was screwed so I took a few more steps while at full draw with him looking at me. I thought he would bust out of there when I started walking toward him but to my surprise, he held his ground. I got to where I had a clear shot and released. My mistake was, I didn't hold low and I hit him very high!

This part of Ohio we were in is huge fields with brushy tree lines and small patches of woods. We watched him run for about 600 yards before he crossed a road. We found no blood on the ground at all except for 1 drop the size of a dime close to a mile away. My cousin and I went back and looked yesterday morning but found nothing.

I wasn't sure I was even gonna post about that because I was feeling pretty sick about it. I know I'll probably take some heat from some guys for shooting at a alert deer but that was the decision I made at the time and it's to late to take it back.

Ben

08-Nov-14
Congrats Ben, real nice.

08-Nov-14
Ok, I just typed out a long story about my deer from yesterday evening and this stupid phone locked up when I was almost done! I'm sick of typing on this thing so I'll make this shorter this time.

I was hunting over a decoy in the same tree I shot my buck last year out here. The buck stepped out about 80 yards behind me and started working his was away from me. He was down hill a little and couldn't see the decoy because of some high weeds where the field ended I was in. I grunted at him and he came back behind me and was heading up through the high weeds toward the decoy. He was only 40 yards from my decoy but still couldn't see it because of the weeds. At that point, he started to go off to my left at 28 yards so I bleated him to a stop and took the shot. I hit a little forward and broke the front shoulder. He pushed himself on his chest about 60 yards after the shot. He just made to the edge of the woods he came out of and died right there.

After I went to him and rolled him over, I thought it was the same buck I hit the day before. He had a broken piece of arrow sticking out high behind the shoulder. When we got back to the house and tried to pull that piece out it busted off. After wiping the blood off, we found it was a camo shaft and mine are black. looks like there are more bad shots in that area then me this year:)

Ben

08-Nov-14

Couple more pics.

08-Nov-14

08-Nov-14

We pulled a camera on the property I was on yesterday evening and got this buck on there from October 8th, only pic of him.

08-Nov-14
Nice

08-Nov-14
Great buck Ben, Congrats!!!

08-Nov-14
Great buck Ben, Congrats!!!

08-Nov-14
Great buck Ben, I told you that you would be done by Sunday! Way to make me look good!

Mike

08-Nov-14
Lol mike

08-Nov-14
Dang Ben! That is a nice buck. Great job

08-Nov-14

My brother pulled our last camera tonight after hunting. We finally got daylight photo of the buck we got pics of for the last 4 years now.

This is the buck that ran under my stand chasing the doe on the morning of November 4th.

08-Nov-14

Also got the other big guy in the daylight on that cam. I'm kicking myself right now, still would have had 8 days left to hunt!!

08-Nov-14
No way am I ever passing on the buck you shot...there will always be one or two big ones left out there but signing the dotted line on a mature buck with character, mass and age. If you made a good clean shot and quick kill...No kicking yourself...instead try counting, as in your lucky stars.

08-Nov-14
Congrats Ben! I feel privileged to have gotten a cell phone pic before bowsite! lol No worries on the bad shot, it happens. That is why we practice as much as we do, Unfortunately, it still happens.

09-Nov-14
Just got word from my brother that he missed the wide buck with no brows that I posted a pic of earlier in the thread. He said his bottom cam hit off a limb as he released. He climbed down and checked his arrow to make sure and is back in the tree now.

09-Nov-14
Sunday Hunting sure must be nice

10-Nov-14

Dave G. 's embedded Photo
Dave G. 's embedded Photo
Ben,

It looks like all of that buck's growth went to his antlers and none to his tail. Must have some muley in him. :^)

10-Nov-14
Dave, yeah. That's how we know for sure he is the same buck the last 4 years. That tail gives him away! :)

10-Nov-14
Awesome thread Ben, and a great finish to your Ohio quest. Congrats on another great season.

What I wouldn't give to live tree hundred miles West!

10-Nov-14
That tail is normal size the problem is that buck goes 280 pounds or more on the hoof!

Mike

10-Nov-14
Thanks Joe.

I can't tell you how many jobs I've applied to in Ohio! My wife is from Ohio and she said if I can find a decent job out there she would move back in a heart beat!

My brother is down to his last morning tomorrow. He had some action today but no shots. He saw the wide buck he missed yesterday at 25 yards but didn't have a clear shot.

11-Nov-14
Bowjo, there haint room for you and I in the SW:)

• Sitka Gear