Beans
Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
Novice 27-Oct-14
Novemberforever 27-Oct-14
10orbetter 27-Oct-14
Novice 27-Oct-14
27-Oct-14
Looking for info about beans in regards to hunting whitetails. Beans are the main crop planted this year on the property I hunt. We never really had a good crop before. Of course the deer were hammering them early in the season. Now that they have turned brown, I am wondering if it's still beneficial to hunt the edges of them? I still saw a handful of deer this weekend in them, but nothing like the surprising #s before. I'm just wondering how long before I shouldn't bother & what about once they get cut? I opened up a pod and the inside was pretty dry as well. Any input/strategy would be appreciated. Thanks

27-Oct-14
After harvest they will be on the leftover beans on the ground. They must have a more preferred food source right now.Corn? Acorns? Browse? Shine the field after dark and do a head count.

27-Oct-14
Me, I hate it when beans are planted. IMO, it really changes their movement. The deer in my area never venture out of a small area very much. My beans are down. Thank God!

27-Oct-14
Other than the beans, the primary source I assume is browse. There are a few small food plots, which didn't turn out all that great this year. As for oaks, there are a few mature reds, but they didn't produce any acorns that I have seen. Opposite of what others have posted on here this year. Never heard one drop all season. Water on the other hand is plentiful.

• Sitka Gear