therealdeal 28-Oct-14
happygolucky 28-Oct-14
smokey 28-Oct-14
smokey 28-Oct-14
Steve White 29-Oct-14
therealdeal 29-Oct-14
28-Oct-14

Steve White's Link
Wolf tracking classes are starting now. There are many that are free finally and widespread. Take a look at the site and get signed up somewhere. So we can actually increase number of hunters reporting the wolf count. Rather than anti's which may be deflating the numbers. Or, those that are just not even looking for tracks, and reporting none in areas.

28-Oct-14
Totally agree Steve, I've pushed these for years but I'd bet very few if any hunters likely sign up. Agree that's got to change for a more accurate count.

28-Oct-14
the volunteer tracking is a complete joke. I know a guy who took the class. The conditions that are required to even be able to go out and look for tracks are so unreasonable that most years you wouldn't even be able to go out. certain depth fresh snow, etc. you can't just go out anytime and count tracks.

28-Oct-14
I agree with therealdeal. Consider last winter for example. How could people have trudged those miles in the woods? The lack of people with boots on the ground is most likely what lead to the reduced quota this year.

You will have the wolf lovers who will deflate the numbers and hunters who might be tempted to inflate the numbers. It is virtually impossible to get the needed number of unbiased bean counters.

28-Oct-14
I went through this while I was working for the FS. I don't think I am still qualified and the closest course is when I will likely be hunting.

The survey is run on roads 1-3 days after a fresh snowfall.

28-Oct-14

smokey's Link
Course details in this link.

29-Oct-14
I agree some of this may be difficult for the average person. Which has always been my argument. Glad the courses are finally free. As I was not going to spend a nickel to be told what I already know.

For me it's no big deal. We will literally put on 100's of miles on some days just looking for cat tracks. Even if we are just yote hunting. It is not as simple as find a track and put out. We will circle every section in the area. To know what is coming and going into the piece we may be turning loose into. As well as making sure the yote is still in a particular piece. Don't pay to put down in one piece and it crosses through 3 more. Really bad news if you put down on one side, and a pack of wolves is coming in on the other side.

1000's of mile of snowmobile trails here that can be looked at. I got local groomers that call me with track sightings in various areas.

Granted not all, or even few do what I do. Which is what has always tweaked me about the program. Don't believe the guy that out every day. Just because somebody that won't get out of the vehicle, and in the woods says there are no wolves in the area. it would amaze many how many animals just don't cross the roads in some areas. Staying just inside the brush line. Those tracks never get seen!!

Either way, if just a few more of us that spend time in the woods. Can do just a bit more. Perhaps it will help some. It surely cannot hurt any.

29-Oct-14
Exactly my point steve. just think of all the big chunks of land with limited road access. There could be a good number of wolves in a certain area that may or may not cross the road when the conditions are correct for the "trackers" Like I said its a joke. Its all for show.

• Sitka Gear