10orbetter 28-Oct-14
cblood 29-Oct-14
Zonks32 29-Oct-14
Geitz 29-Oct-14
Steve White 29-Oct-14
10orbetter 29-Oct-14
Murf 30-Oct-14
28-Oct-14
Anyone else hunt on a property with neighbors that try to make life miserable?

So I was out last night....terribly warm I know, but the wind was right for my stand location and it's the only day I can hunt this week.

4:30p.m. out comes the neighbor on his 4-wheeler, trailer in tow, heading out to the edge of his property. I see him about 250 yards from my stand.

Comes back 20 minutes later and proceeds to walk from his property, directly to my tree stand, which is clearly NOT on his property.

Yelling the whole time as he's crunching through the leaves. "Nobody's gonna sneak up on you out here." and "If a big deer came through, he'd wake you up from a nap for sure," and some other B/S I really wasn't in the mood to here.

Stops at the base of my tree and says, "We're going to be taking our two-year-old (grandson) out for a walk through the woods, so you're going to want to get down out of that tree."

Well...thanks, thanks a lot!! I appreciate the courtesy and thoughtfulness of looking out for me.

Nature walk my a$$. This nonsense started last year with him riding out to my tree stand on his 4-wheeler every time he saw my truck parked on the neighbor's property. I started parking behind a cluster of pines so he couldn't see I was there. When he doesn't know I'm there, he leaves me the hell alone. Just wish the guy would "nut up" with me and the property owner whose land I hunt on, that he's not crazy about someone hunting on the property next to his. Easier to be a tool I guess.

PERFECT time of the season to now have to start looking for a new place to hunt. Fantastic!!

28-Oct-14
Is he an anti or just wants to save "his" deer? Unless the landowner you have permission to hunt on allows others to enter his property, the guys is trespassing and also harassing you.

I hunt on property which the landowner allows others. The property owner next to him also borders public land. This guy has hardly no woods to hunt on but he attempts to cut off all hunters. He has about 10 stands just over the fence on a few trees which grew on his side. All he has is field. On his public side, he built two huge tower stands to keep the public land hunter way from the fence line. I've never seen him hunt but he has QDM signs everywhere;) lol

28-Oct-14
Your landowner either grows a spine and prosecutes or You are screwed. Trespassing and blatant hunter harassment imo.

28-Oct-14
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, looks like I'm the one who is out of luck. The landowner (widow) has also granted the neighbor access to her property to cut/collect dead trees for firewood. It's just too bad, her generosity isn't being met with some reciprocal common sense and good will.

At this point, I believe the best long-term solution is to find a new place to hunt. Not happy about it, but I don't want to drag the property owner into a dispute with her neighbor.

Time to go the old fashioned way...and start asking farmers/land owners for permission. I'm ready to here plenty of "no"s but all it takes is one "yes."

Safe hunts to all.

28-Oct-14
Start documenting everything, if you can video it like what happened in your post above, do so, build yourself a case against him.

I had a guy do the same thing during bear season each year. His land borders County land, him and his son drive there ATV and dirt bike back and forth when they think we are in there hunting. Each year he checks to see if my stand is up. Every year I make it a point to put one of my old ladder sticks & stand up in the same spot and they continue the harassment. I silently laugh to myself, I haven't hunted or baited it for 4 years now.

28-Oct-14
Guys …… if he is on his property he can do what ever he wants as long as it is legal !!!!!! He can hike , drive his atv or target shoot as long as he is on his property. What I would do is get out early in the morning ….. He will end up making a drive for you.

28-Oct-14
The widow gave him permission to be on the land so proving harassment might not be that easy. Even if you are able to plan on never hunting there again once you create hard feelings between neighbors. Sometimes you just lose - it sucks but that's reality. Or have someone drop you off and pick you up so he doesn't see your vehicle.

28-Oct-14
Difficult situation when it's not your land and he has been granted right to be there as well... In this scenario, I would start looking for a different place to park your vehicle so you don't give this guy a reason to amble through the property. Some people are just hard to "get". Ultimately, you should probably look at another place to hunt as your time is too scarce to deal with these shenanigans over and over again.

28-Oct-14
Marry the widow, tell the neighbor to stay off "your" land......

28-Oct-14
"Marry the widow, tell the neighbor to stay off "your" land...... "

Although I completely agree with Tri-C, I'd make sure she is old enough so a long drawn out marriage doesn't happen.

I agree with documenting it. As long as you are treating the property right AND abiding by all the rules of the widow, I would simply talk to her. What I would say is:

"I really appreciate you allowing me to hunt on your property. I just want to make sure I'm following your expectations or if there is certain rules you would like me to follow."

She will either say there is an issue or say you are doing fine.

Then I would follow up with:

"well, I was just concerned I was doing something wrong because your neighbor has been confronting me and appears to be angry with me hunting "over there". I just want to make sure I'm OK and you haven't heard any complaints........"

I'd set the stage that you are the good guy and the neighbor is a jack wagon. If he ever tries to complain about you, the widow knows he's the jack wagon.

Plus, I have gain more access to land or cemented my access by telling landowners/ranchers what is happening on their land, closing left open gate, fixing fences, getting cattle back, etc... Landowners/ranchers are not always there to police their land and appreciate people who assist them.

Also, Landowner's wives and widows are some of the toughest regarding the use of lands. The widow knows the neighbor is benefiting from her land. I wouldn't put it past her to put the jack wagon in his place.

Unless......you are posted on the property line, then I could see the neighbor's issue.

I would never just give up on it.

28-Oct-14
Tri-County. Best answer of the year. Hope she's good looking.

28-Oct-14
Howatt is right. Video record him even on your phone. All you have him on is harassment at this time if your land owner won't do anything. Besides, if he has towers that close to public land, then he maybe doing the same to the public land hunters. Talk to one or two of them and get together to nail this a-hole for harassment.

Buckmaster, good suggestion as well. I would try to hunt weekdays as much as possible.

29-Oct-14
+1 Geitz, I wouldn't just give up.

Communication is key in disputes, or supposed disputes/harassments. Heck, sometimes I think we hunters may assume actions are done maliciously but in fact aren't done in malice at all. A simple conversation goes a long way. And if that doesn't work, marry the widow.

29-Oct-14
Marry the widow huh? My wife may frown upon that!!

29-Oct-14
"Marry the widow huh? My wife may frown upon that!! "

Not in some states

29-Oct-14
As soon as he came marching up to your stand it was harassment. Regardless of who's property it was on. He knowingly harassed you. Another thing to to consider is disorderly conduct. Statute reads, any loud or boisterous behavior that creates a disturbance. Sounds like those actions fit that all well.

Personally getting real tired of people messing with others hunts, or blaming others for lack of success. Got yelled at this morning by a guy. Claiming he has not seen a deer yet because of my dogs. He is hunting a 40 behind my house. There are at least 25 dogs in homes surrounding that property. But it is my dogs! Biggest reason he is not seeing them while hunting in that bedding area. Is that they are in my yard at that the time he is hunting. Traveling between neighbors feeders!

People really need to grow up!

29-Oct-14
Konk, I would find a new spot for next year. or ask the kid to give you just one week to yourself each year and he can have the rest of the year. Blood is thicker than waster.

30-Oct-14
We have the same problem with our neighbor. He made a trail all the way down our property line and when he sees our vehicles, he runs his UTV up and down the line to scare his deer back up into his land. Whatever floats your boat I guess

• Sitka Gear