Hammer 01-Nov-14
Jeff in MN 01-Nov-14
Smokescreen Johnny 11-Nov-14
Naz 11-Nov-14
10orbetter 12-Nov-14
Bucks_n_Gobblers 12-Nov-14
South Farm 12-Nov-14
28-Oct-14
So this weekend I looked at the forecast and it looks great for the first weekend in November. I was just curious, do you think it pays to sit all day on Saturday and Sunday. The weather is calling for around a high of 42 on Saturday and 45 on Sunday. I'm hunting in the south west part of Manitowoc county.

28-Oct-14
I was thinking the same thing as you, I hunt northeastern part of Brown County and was thinking about an all day sit on Saturday. I'm curious to hear what other people think.

28-Oct-14
Absolutely! Sit all day. I shot a 160 class buck at noon a few years back. I have had bucks chasing does around my stand in the early afternoon.

28-Oct-14
I have a lot going on all the time to make it hard to do all day sits. I have done 10:00-2:00 sits an have seen enough action in that time frame to say absolutely sit all day if you can.

28-Oct-14
Yes. I start Tuesday for a 7 day marathon. The only time I come off is if the wind changes wrong for the set. Get burned out? Sleep in and go on about 10am. Lots of action mid day in the rut.

28-Oct-14
Question is does it pay to not sit all day? What else are you going to do? At my hunting camp during the rut your either on stand, in the cabin, or at the tavern. I won't shoot a deer at the cabin or in the tavern so I sit all day. I don't live on the property so I don't have access to my honey do list while I am hunting, which is nice. I sit all day hunts starting Halloween.

28-Oct-14
As long as you can stay alert all day why not? My friends rib me for playing games on my phone in the stand but pulling out the phone every hour or so during slow times and playing a game on my phone breaks up the boredom and keeps me alert.

28-Oct-14
A small mp3 radio using a single earbud makes time fly by as well.

28-Oct-14
Yes it pays to sit all day especially from this time of year on, and not just because of the rut. Pressure will keep deer moving pretty much all day. If you can't handle cold early morning sits hunt from 10am until legal shooting light. Sometimes you will see just as many deer mid day as you do any other time.

28-Oct-14
It does and can be brutal at times. This looks like it might be the best weekend for an all day sit.

31-Oct-14
All day for the next 4 days. When I'm sitting at work I'm dreaming of being in a tree. When I'm bored and freezing in a tree I wonder what else I could be doing, and the answer is nothing.

01-Nov-14
I rarely sit all day anymore due to a bad back but I will say I sit for about 1-2 hours longer than the average guy if I am hunting areas where I know other weekend warrior hunters are present. They leave to go eat or take a break and can often push the deer around when doing so and every so often they can push a deer right past you so I wait an hr or 2 after they are out before taking a break for a few hours. I also get back in before them hoping for the same thing when they go stomping back to their stands.

You can increase the odds of this happening if you know the deer's travel patterns and know where other hunters are sitting.

01-Nov-14
Why not? Hunt as much as you can starting today. I am a bit past the age where I feel like I want or need to be out there all the time, so here I am typing on my computer at 9:30am. So, do what I say, not as I do, get out there.

I did see and pass on a small doe yesterday. Day before I jumped a deer I could not see while walking out that went the direction of a camera, then I went to get memory out of that camera. I pushed that 8 pointer right in front of my camera.

11-Nov-14

Smokescreen Johnny's embedded Photo
Smokescreen Johnny's embedded Photo
My choice is to hunt all day as I find that 10 AM to 2:00 PM is the best times during the rut. I have seen my biggest bucks then and took my P&Y Bucks during that time period. I find that early morning and dusk aren't the hot times during the rut, at least in my 40 years of bow hunting. This guy showed up November 1 during the daytime but was in the same area 5 other times in October according to my camera but were all at night. I am hoping I can stick him before gun season.

11-Nov-14
Cool photo, good luck on getting him!

12-Nov-14
Yes all day is the ticket. Smoke, I hope you get him.

12-Nov-14
Last year my plan was to sit all day the Thursday before gun hunting...well, had to get down to relieve myself so I went back to the cabin..did my business and ate quick. Got back out in an hour!

The next morning I grabbed my camera and lo and behold... I had a nice 10 point on camera FIVE MINUTES before I got back in my stand. My guess is I bumped him walking in. I did hear a dear blow at me once I got settled - guessing it was him!

Just hope it isn't too cold this year to do that... I am thinking one day next week to not go out until 10 am and hunt the rest of the day too.

Good luck!

12-Nov-14
Anybody that sits all day today in this cold deserves to be paid! Brrr!

• Sitka Gear