Will 28-Oct-14
cbulas30 28-Oct-14
The Dark Knight 28-Oct-14
Bow2Bow 28-Oct-14
CTCrow 28-Oct-14
Dr. Deer 28-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 29-Oct-14
28-Oct-14
The last thing I expected walking out of the woods this evening was to be confronted by a fellow hunter. I am hunting a piece of state land I have hunted for the past 8 years. This year i decided to put a ladder stand up instead of lugging the climber. So tonight I noticed a truck parked there already which is no big deal. I go in, do my thing. Nothing. Walk out and this guy gets out of the truck and starts accusing my of taking his stands and hunting in 'his' area for the most part. Saying "I've never seen your truck here", etc. (granted I've changed vehicles over the years) He kept saying it was no big deal because it's state land but obviously it was a big deal.

Wasn't trying to get into a pissing match with this guy. But it's state land. I didn't take your stands. I understand his frustrations. I'd be pissed too if someone took my stand. I try to steer clear of other hunters but it's getting increasingly difficult with the influx of bowhunters nowadays. I was shown this spot when I first started bowhunting by a fellow bowhunter. Share the woods and get along.

So not the evening I expected. Just didn't appreciate the accusations and veiled threats.

28-Oct-14
Bow2bow, that is not a fellow hunter, if he was a true bowhunter ny standard, he would have gone about this completely differently. Any ethical bowhunter/sportsman would have had a more gentlemanly conversation with you, something like what area are you in, what times and days are you hunting, and oh by the way be careful because someone has stolen some of his stands. Unfortunate part is its state land and open to all, was reminded that myself this morning when some guy took his greyhound for a walk 100 yds from my stand at 730am

28-Oct-14
I agree with Fess.

28-Oct-14
It is sad that some hunters are confrontational to other hunters, I don't think like that, I would like to team up with other hunters to help each other get deer on public land, share tree stands and team up and do some drives to bring each other deer, the last thing we should be doing is fighting with each other!

28-Oct-14
Agree also

28-Oct-14
Thanks Gents! I agree with everything you're saying. The guy was all over the place. Maybe he was having a bad day. Just hope he avoids me going forward. Do his thing I'll do mine and leave it at that.

28-Oct-14
That guy is an ahole. I understand his frustration of loosing his equipment but you don't go around accusing people without prove.

A few years back I went to Bennett pond and in the parking lot there was this older fellow waiting by his truck. He told me he shot a 4-6 pointer 20 yards from the lot. The guy was color blind and had trouble finding blood. I helped the guy for two hours track his deer. We didn't find it but I treated the other hunter like I would like other people to treat my dad or grandpa.

28-Oct-14
Fess is right on. Most of us will go way out of our way for another hunter he's never met. There is not reason for him to accuse, unless he just accuses every person he comes across. For all he knows, the thief isn't even a hunter but rather an anti-. I have helped a lot of folks over the years and will continue to do so for respectful fellows. In turn, I show other hunters respect. I met a new guy at one of my spots. The owner allowed him on the property too, as she knows him through her son. She didn't ask me, nor did she need to. It's her land. I talked to the guy, who was toting a climber in and when he saw me in my fixed position lone wolf he diverted and hunted another area on the property nowhere near me. After I got down I met up with him (first time) and after a few minutes of talking I told him that I was only around 4 days a month and I'd have no problem with him sitting in my stand from time to time. He showed respect, and in turn so did I. That's normal. They guy you met up with wasn't.

29-Oct-14
Bow2Bow,

if the guy had his stands stolen I can understand his frustration but I don't condone him accusing you.

If my stands were stolen, I would have asked for your help to find out who did it. That way you would know that I'm the one whose stands went missing, and if you're not the guy who took them, then you can help me watch mine and I'll help you watch yours. Now we're partners, not enemies.

I always say "Kill people with kindness" If they think you're an a_ _hole you can either act like one and prove them right, or continue to be nice; and maybe, just maybe they'll realize you're a great guy and become your friend. Ask my daughters, I raised them on this simple rule.

• Sitka Gear