Pay attention
Oklahoma
Contributors to this thread:
Quailhunter 29-Oct-14
Stinkbait1 29-Oct-14
canepole 31-Oct-14
Quailhunter 31-Oct-14
29-Oct-14
Well fellas, I just screwed up big time after deer hunting for about 25 years now. I killed a nice buck with my muzzleloader this evening and had my little 4 year old girl with me. While field dressing the deer, the knife slipped off the deer's sternum and stuck right in my leg. I just got home from the ER about an hour ago. Could have been worse, but it just proved that things can go south in a hurry.

Slow down out there and pay attention to what you're doing. First time I've ever done something like this and it wasn't much fun and I didn't like my little one seeing my leg soaked in blood.

Stay safe. Btw...the deer is pretty nice!

29-Oct-14
Quailhunter,

Thanks for the reminder. You are extremely lucky. Just goes to show how quickly a good time can turn into a bad time.

I've seen too many guys get in a big-@$$ hurry to get their deer gutted or skinned. One has to be careful when using anything sharp. I've learned that the hard way myself. I cut my thumb really bad while field dressing a deer once. Another time I cut the end of my middle finger on my left hand with a folding pruning saw while cutting shooting lanes. Also, everyone be sure to unload your rifle or, in the case of a muzzleloader, take the cap off. Move your gun well away from where you are field dressing the deer. Don't want to accidently knock the gun down and have it go off. If bow hunting, be sure your bow and arrows are well away. Don't want to trip and fall on a broadhead. I realize we all know these things. But, sometimes it's good to remind ourselves to be careful.

31-Oct-14
Sorry to here about your accident. Maybe it might make a couple of us a little more cautious next time out.

This reminds me a story on the deer hunting site a month ago. The writers 80 year old father wouldn't wear a harness in the stand, only a rope. Unfortunately the dad fell from the stand and was suffocated when the rope cinched around him. This happen early this season up north somewhere. I'm 100% this year on wearing my harness.

31-Oct-14
I've always been cautious and safe. I stay connected from the time I leave the ground.

Things I learned:

1) Keep a tourniquet in a backpack or in a vest or something. I had a leather belt on, but couldn't get it to stay tight. A cheap nylon belt would have worked great. I keep one of these in my canine first aid kit that I keep in the dog box...figures.. Never thought I'd have to put one on myself, but I did. Had to use an extra sweatshirt I had on me (tied both long sleeves around my thigh).

2) Don't cut sleeve off a long sleeve shirt. It won't fit around your thigh (I was on the verge of panic mode at this point).

3) Make sure someone knows exactly where you're hunting.

4) Have a phone on you.

5) Adrenaline keeps you going. It honestly did not hurt at all, but it hurts like hell now.

I'm pretty lucky. It cost me a few pictures with the deer and my little girl (our first hunt together) and I don't think I can climb a tree for another week or so.

Stay safe out there guys and slow down...

• Sitka Gear