Crusader dad 29-Oct-14
>>>--arrow1--> 29-Oct-14
NWO 29-Oct-14
sagittarius 29-Oct-14
sawtooth 29-Oct-14
10orbetter 29-Oct-14
Geitz 29-Oct-14
29-Oct-14
As I stated in my "who are you" post, I live in Racine and just aquired permission to hunt a ten acre parcel with a home directly in the middle. This parcel is surrounded by other parcels of the same size and configuration. It is completely wooded with a pond near the road. I have no idea how the other neighbors feel about hunters. I have no other spots to hunt anywhere near me. Any tips on small acreage would be welcome. I know there are a lot of deer in that area, just not sure how to approach such a small area with neighbors so close. Is it even worth it?

29-Oct-14
One of the biggest concerns you should have is a marginal hit. 10 ac. where you don't know anyone or most,, you may be asking for a nightmare.

29-Oct-14
Find out from the owner of the land what he knows about his neighbors, if decent go talk to them, tell them your intentions, that you will be hunting on said property, ask permission or get phone numbers incase shot deer goes onto there property, good way to feel them out in the conversation. Could be a great spot with nice bucks, those deer work around humans and aren't as spooked.

29-Oct-14
Yes, is worth it. As stated, try to get neighbors phone numbers and possible permission ahead of time, in case you need to retrieve a deer.

I live on only 7 acres, Waukesha Co. where I arrowed a 144" 8pt, Dec 17, 2008, with 10min of shooting time left. High double lung pass thru hit, deer went 350 yds across 3 properties. Had a great blood trail, backed out, changed clothes, drove around the other side of the properties, asked permission, owners not home, left a note with name, address, phone #'s, and intent with the land owners babysitter...... and drove in to find/retrieve my deer. It was dark, 18" of snow, temp was 15F and dropping. Found the deer near a small Ag field, about 50min after I shot it. Coyotes had already taken a gallon size chunk out of the hind quarters.

Long story short, the night would have gone alot smoother, quicker, with no coyote damage if I had advanced permission, or the neighbors phone numbers in my cell phone.

... and I just lined up a 5 acre property to bowhunt in January for the Metro zone/season. ;-)

29-Oct-14
Take very high percentage shots. Use a modern compound crossbow and pin them through both shoulders, shoot thoracic inlet, etc. Cannot do this in most cases with a compound, at least with high percentage. Match your weapon to the situation.

29-Oct-14
First, keep the peace, draw as little attention to yourself and never, never gun hunt it! The deer are going to be tuned to the regular traffic they encounter, hunt week days if possible. Never take a marginal shot. Keep a low profile and beware you may have kids or pets come through. Play the wind to the max! Try to select an area where if the deer does run and drop, it will die on property. Stay out until the rut. Don't screw yourself by hunting it in Sept., Oct. I have a similar property that is my honey hole and have not been in it since August. Good Luck, It can be well worth it. If you do have a deer leave the property, be humble and regretful for the inconvience. people will be accepting in most cases. However, you could have what I had with a 35 year old, very hot, Mequon trophy wife. She called me an F-er, spit at me and told me to get the F off her property. I had to get the sheriff to get my deer. At a later date, I found her lost yellow lab and she still cursed me out. Some people are just that way.

29-Oct-14
"However, you could have what I had with a 35 year old, very hot, Mequon trophy wife"

Need a hunting partner, I like 35 yr old, very hot trophy wife's yelling at me;)

• Sitka Gear