happygolucky 06-Nov-14
sawtooth 06-Nov-14
Geitz 07-Nov-14
Naz 07-Nov-14
happygolucky 07-Nov-14
RJN 08-Nov-14
29-Oct-14

Pasquinell's Link
Looks as though 70% of the archery kills so far have been with the crossbow in Marathon. I was cutting trees Saturday thru Tuesday in Langlade and ran into 7 different guys over 50 that are using them. Four of the seven have registered bucks and three are waiting til the rut. Buck only area. I cant wait to see numbers.

29-Oct-14
"Looks as though 70% of the archery kills so far have been with the crossbow in Marathon."

You can't begin to draw that conclusion because 1 taxi figured almost 70% of his new business is from xbows.So that means 70% of the entire county has been xbows?

29-Oct-14
November is correct. It could also be that many of the crossbow hunters are new to the sport and wanting to get their deer mounted.

29-Oct-14
"The kid that was 11 years old. His dad took him out, couldn't pull a bow back, shot it with a crossbow. Guy with his girlfriend took his girlfriend out for the first time, shot it with a crossbow. A guy that hasn't been hunting for 20 years he said, says, 'Now I can use a crossbow,' went out and got a nice buck,"

This is the stuff that annoys me..... I should go buy my wife an xgun and put her in a blind and let her poke a buck! I do have 2 xgunners on my property and both are due to physical limitations and age and both put in plenty of time doing it the right way in their lives so I don't rib them (too much that is...)

29-Oct-14
Having watched the video clip, what benefit does the taxidermist get by being untruthful about what he is seeing? He is happy for the business. You guys can down-play the story all you want. It is what it is! So in his corner of the world, he is seeing a 70% increase in trophy buck harvest (using the term liberally). That can't be good for that area.

29-Oct-14
If it's not good for the area then are you also against the youth hunt? Have you noticed the number of big deer you see shot during the youth season? An many of them by 10 year olds. Dad has a big buck coming to a field every night and puts Jr in a blind with a rifle and boom - dead big buck.

29-Oct-14
Zinger I am absolutely against the youth hunt. Your right though that taxi is the only one allowing crossbow kills in the county and we can assume nobody else has seen a increase. I posted a few months ago while at Dunhams on HWY 64 in Antigo they told me crossbows sales were thru the roof and November came back and said are you going to believe a pimple faced high school kid on his assessment or calculations? Well this time on this past Sunday I talked to the assistant manager and he shared the same thing. His quote was "sales were very very good, better than we anticipated". I probably shouldn't take him for his word either though.

29-Oct-14
if you think xbowers will be the only ones who will suffer from gun hunters whining about an increase in the buck kill from "bows" you are completely clueless..and to use you own word...DUMB

29-Oct-14
I think anyone who doesn't punch their tag has something to complain about. I don't even know what I really think about letting everyone and anyone use a xbow...I kind of lean towards how it used to be. Agreed on youth hunt. We used to have a youth hunt when I was a kid, except that meant you tagged along with your old man to his stand during regular gun season, until you were 12 and could carry on your own. I think it's shady and disrespectful for a father to take advantage of that situation. With the multiple seasons- youth, archery, gun and muzzle loader combined with screwed Antlerless permits, bonus tags etc allows for a guy to take too many deer in a given year. Just my opinion, but how much venison do you need for a year? We choose to bow hunt- it is harder than sending a chunk of lead 100+ yards out and I like it that way. Same goes for fishing for me- I'd rather catch 1 awesome rainbow I fooled into slurping a surface fly with my fly rod than be the guy throwing worms all day.

29-Oct-14
Crossbow won't even come close to bow kills. When it again hits 80K+, where it has been 13 of the past 15 seasons, it'll likely be at least 80 percent archery. Broadhead kill has been 90K+ eight times since 1999, most recently in 2011 and 2012 (just shy last year) and twice exceeding 110K. **The bow buck kill is 10x larger than when i started in mid-70s; meanwhile, the gun kill isn't even double. You can't blame crossbows for that.

"Anybody with a beef or concern over the harvest need only direct their anger/concerns to the correct weapon and user group."

See ** — and be careful what you wish for.

29-Oct-14
Nothing wrong with the youth hunt and it is only 2 days during a very long bow season. Why get angry over young hunters having success as they learn about deer hunting from their parents, uncles, friends, etc.. ?

Get in the woods to enjoy the hunt and stop worrying about what someone else is doing during their hunt.

29-Oct-14
The 2013 youth hunt harvested 6,693 deer.The ML season, 4 day Dec. antlerless hunt, and late season archery harvest all had higher totals.Lets put on our big boy pants and keep it in perspective.

30-Oct-14
Howatt +1! BC

30-Oct-14
It will be 70% but may take one or two more years. Compounds will become largely history, as will their manufacturers, just wait a few more years.

30-Oct-14

Novemberforever's Link
"Thats why it was so smart to keep the two weapons seperate in terms of the ability to manage their seasons."

Don't dislocate your shoulder rc patting yourself on the back. 2 years of separate tracking is window dressing and completely meaningless as far as xbows use going forward. xbows are not going away and any season limits will now be shared equally with vertical. I saw the Dnr live chat when the dnr guy responded to the 2 year xbow "probation" period in quotes(haha) Dnr loves xbows 1) more license revenue 2) more participation 3) more dead bucks. They would sell 2 million buck tags if they could.I see the xbow license/stamp going away in 2 years. The Dnr could care less whether a deer was taken with a 30 inch shaft or a 16 inch bolt.With on line registration next year I question how invested the dnr has become in how deer are harvested at all. here's an interesting read. Goes hand in hand with online registration imo.

30-Oct-14
"I see the xbow license/stamp going away in 2 years."

Not unless it was by an act of the Legislature. The 2 year concurrent season was set by the Legislature then it is regulated separately by administrative rule. If the DNR decides to change the season, it would take 2 years to do so. So realistically, the season will run concurrent for 4 years.

Based on what transpired during the crossbow bill, I doubt the legislature is excited to readdress this issue any time soon.

30-Oct-14
I'm a huge Walker fan, but it was Walker that signed the current xbow bill allowing them to be all inclusive for 2 years. He could have said NO.

I agree with November in that xbows aren't going anywhere. There will be so much money tied into them from the sales and license perspective that they will be entrenched into WI forever. The 2 year gig is pure window dressing.

30-Oct-14
Not sure I agree that compounds and their manufacturers become history.

30-Oct-14
Care to take a bet on the bow harvest declining this year? I'll say it increases, even with the rainy weather much of the fall and the lower deer numbers in much of the north. To be fair we'll have to add in or subtract out a percentage of crossbow users who scored simply because some have always scored (and contributed to the "bow" harvest) — those with disabilities and over 65.

Participation has been dropping for "real" bow hunters? No. Last year set an all-time record of 266,573 … that's double the number of archers from when I started in the mid-70s.

30-Oct-14
Daft? At least I got the facts straight …

"There will be no need to alter the real bowhunting season because the data will show participation and harvest is and will continue to drop for real bowhunters. You dont shorten a season that is in decline"

Fact: 2013 all-time record licenses allowing archery deer hunting sold, 266,573.

Fact: 2012 archery buck kill of 45,988 breaks previous all-time record set in 1999.

Fact: Archery buck kill as a percentage of entire bow/gun buck kill has climbed significantly, from only one of every 30 bucks shot and tagged in the late 1960s to better than one of every three bucks registered in recent years. It was about one out of 13 in the late 70s, one out of seven in the late 80s and one out of five in the late 90s.

30-Oct-14
"Care to take a bet on the bow harvest declining this year? I'll say it increases, even with the rainy weather much of the fall and the lower deer numbers in much of the north"

With a 20% decline already in archery tags sold this year and a success rate typically between 32-34%, your argument doesn't hold up. Well unless, the remaining 80% of archery hunter become masterful in their techniques and make up the difference. The remaining archery hunter would have to eclipse a 40% success rate to prove your point.

If I were a betting man(which I'm not), I would predict the same success rate for archery as in the past which also resembles the same success rate of gun hunters. Based on other state's crossbow success rates, I'd imagine that to be over 10% more than archery and gun.

Yes, the harvest during the archery and crossbow season will be higher this year but it is not due to archery hunters.

Success rates have remained fairly constant the last 20 years for archery and gun. When the crossbow rates show they're too successful and are taking more than their share of deer, this is when the 400K gun hunters will start to make waves.

As an archery hunter, I'll be with them with my pitchfork and torch:)

30-Oct-14
"With a 20% decline already in archery tags sold this year and a success rate typically between 32-34%, your argument doesn't hold up."

Much of that archery tag "decline" is crossbow users (those who qualified with disability or age) who now have to buy a separate license; that's the number that we'd have to add back in in order to make a fair comparison.

"what matters is 2014 and beyond as we will now know how many real bowhunters there are(and their kill) and how many xgunners their are(and their kill)."

And perhaps a paranoid bow hunter (who just so happen to also own three crossbows) also purchased a crossbow license this year so he could report any kills as crossbow? (as if one or two deer would impact the totals, but he's funny like that).

30-Oct-14
Ron you are a complete fool.

30-Oct-14
Geitz you are forgeting the adage that 10% of the Bowhunters kill 90% of the deer. The hunters that are switching are the least productive. At some point have an epiphany and come to grips with the obvious that no matter how many times Mike Brust says he saved us from crossbows he in fact did not bar the door. After 2 or 4 years crossbows will then have a constituency that will guarentee their increace. It was obvious and predicted but some still claim victory. Sad.

31-Oct-14
Glunker, not sure how many times I have to explain this to you but here I will try again and I'll be blunt....

The Full Inclusion bill passed the Assembly unanimously. That bill was supported by the NRA, WWF, some SCI chapters, WBHA and several others. George Meyer told me prior to the bill even being drafted, he and the WWF supported full inclusion.

The Full Inclusion bill would have past the Senate probably by all but 2 votes

There is no one organization who was going to derail that freight train. Heck, no one could topple the NRA in more strict gun laws after the tragic school shooting at the Federal level. ANY change in the Full Inclusion bill was a major victory from the NRA.

Again, being blunt....EVERYONE supported full inclusion and was fighting for it, except WBH and SCI Bowhunters. WTA did not support the bill but were not very active.

A majority of the Senate jumped aboard requesting the bill to be heard by the committee, in fact, there was a request for it to bypass the committee and go straight to the floor for a vote. Only at the 11 hour we were able to amend it and that was because of a few legislators.

But you, glunker, rather fight a complete loser of a battle just to say so.

So once again, being blunt...... There was absolutely NO possible way to defeat the Full Inclusion bill. Come on, say it with me.....Absolutely no possible way, never ever, impossible way to defeat the full inclusion bill.

Personally, there is no "feel good" story in being a loser. The bill was amended to separate the weapons and season. It was the best outcome of a losing situation. What will happen next, who knows but to continue to bash an organization still fighting for the archery season is stupid, especially from a member.

Bluntly....Be happen with what you got, the outcome would not have been any better but it could have been a lot worse.

31-Oct-14
Glunker, +1, though there are exceptions. In fact, the only two guys I know who switched are actually guys that killed a deer or two year in and year out with a bow. So while those 2-4 deer will be added to the crossbow kill, they really didn't impact the numbers as they would have been shot with "regular bow" anyway.

Not saying that's always the case, and certainly in time crossbows will gain steam. But with far fewer gun hunters than "back in the day" and without earn-a-buck and October antlerless hunts in farm country, at least, is it too far-fetched to believe the extra hunting effort may be needed for herd control?

31-Oct-14
Geitz,

Just asking, how are other states still able to fight full inclusion if WI was forced into this? Did money get pocketed for this to happen in WI and so quickly at that after having every public vote say No? Walker had the final say on the matter and he signed it in. It seems that he ignored the hunter's votes and went with the money.

31-Oct-14
"how are other states still able to fight full inclusion if WI was forced into this?'

Who's fighting and winning? Let me rephrase: What state of any significance is fighting and winning?

PA and MI had already fell, WI was the only large hunting state of any significance left.

You have to get off the pocketed money thing.

To blame Walker is silly. You have a WCC vote of 5K, big deal. Full inclusion was voted down by the WCC popular vote but lost at the county vote. The WCC went against the popular vote and supported full inclusion.

So you had a bipartisan bill, supported by the "public" (WCC), all the orgs(minus 3), passes in both committees, passed unanimously in the Assembly(twice) and the Senate(minus one vote). And you expect the governor not to sign the bill?

Sure are a lot of bowsiters so very upset at what transpired, yet I remember a lot of empty seats during the hearings.

31-Oct-14
I bought the first Alan compound in 74' I wonder if Al Gore had invented the internet by then how long the uproar would have lasted on blogs? 5 years?

31-Oct-14
Geitz,

I did not blame Walker but he did ignore the majority of the hunters. I only asked questions. I am still curious how MN an IL are able to elude full inclusion? Why isn't the NRA, SCI, etc, bullying them?

It still smells of money changing hands when you look at how quickly it happened and against all the public votes. But then again, government is never corrupt :).

I am not anti-xbow. I have lots of friends using them for various reasons. I don't use one. I'm just trying to understand all the wrinkles that brought it about.

31-Oct-14
New York has it in their muzzleloader season I believe but could be wrong. The people also had to take a test for it I believe.

31-Oct-14
Again, significant hunting states i.e. population. I'm not talking 100k or less.

I expect MN to fall next. The people from WCF already moved on, one to MN. No one is going to elude it forever.

Last year was not an election year, so legislation went thru. This is an election year and I fairly certain the NRA has circled the wagons for that.

04-Nov-14
I stopped by a registration station in Ashland Co. this morn. Did the reg. #'s 75% xgun kill so far.

04-Nov-14
I hunt mainly in MD, but also make a couple trips each year to my home state of WI to hunt. MD has had crossbow hunting for 10 years, it can be used during the entire archery season. The crossbow numbers for the first few years barely made an impact. It has steadily grown to about 40% of the overall archery kill the last few years but has not overtaken vertical bows. I have a crossbow, its fun to shoot but I don't hunt with it yet. I'd rather use the vertical bow for as long as I can, not sure how long that will be I'm in my 50s now.

The jump in technology from compound to crossbow is no different than the jump in technology was from longbow/recurve (which I also have) to compound. I have experienced both. The whitetail population has expanded greatly in the era of the compound. Even with its much enhanced range and accuracy for killing, and its effect on expanding the popularity of the sport, the population has increased. Peep site, optic sight, releases, kisser buttons, 300 plus FPS arrow speeds, 80% let off, stabilizers, modern compounds are high tech killing machines. What will the long term effect be in WI? We will have to wait and see.

""Crossbow won't even come close to bow kills."

In year #1. You are correct. You dont however mean that to be "forever". Thats why it was so smart to keep the two weapons seperate in terms of the ability to manage their seasons. "

04-Nov-14
Arrow, registration stations send stubs in regularly, so are you basing your count on a week or two? What station? Statewide, I'd be very surprised if the crossbow kill exceeded 20 percent of the harvest.

04-Nov-14
Well there you go Naz,,,,You wrote and think ,,, ""so are you basing your count on a week or two"".

NO They keep a running track themselves. Again you insert your liberal all knowing opinion to put down what others have found. The kill is also waaay down.

04-Nov-14
dc-acher "" The whitetail population has expanded greatly in the era of the compound. Even with its much enhanced range and accuracy for killing, and its effect on expanding the popularity of the sport, the population has increased""

Why don't you come up to Northen Wis. and take a look at the population. Very sad we don't even have doe tags available.

04-Nov-14
Arrow, what station (city) was that?

I don't know Ashland County, so all I can do is look at data.

Definitely can see the harvest numbers are down from the glory days of the 90s and even from the very good numbers as recently as '07 (4,400+).

The weird thing is, the reported DOT vehicle/deer accidents in Ashland Co. have actually increased from just 33 in '08, 38 in '09, 39 in '10 and 77 in '11 to 92 in '12 and 89 last year. That's odd, considered the harvest last year didn't even hit 2,000.

05-Nov-14
Butternut feed mill. 715-769-3717. Talked to cathy the owners wife at 8am she looked and said they had 12 deer reg. which was way done and 9 are with the xgun.

""Definitely can see the harvest numbers are down from the glory days of the 90s and even from the very good numbers as recently as '07 (4,400+). ""You forgot to mention that was the start of the BIG doe massacre \!

05-Nov-14
I see far more crossbow hunters than bowhunters. Not scientific, just saying.

05-Nov-14
I was referring to the general US and WI deer population growth since the mid 70s or so when compounds hit the market. There certainly are areas and points in time within that period with stagnant or short term reductions, but overall the deer population is substantially higher since compounds took over bow hunting culture. Population analysis has many factors to consider from environmental to regulatory, but an argument can be made that significant improvements in archery technology have not had a dramatic negative effect.

"dc-acher "" The whitetail population has expanded greatly in the era of the compound. Even with its much enhanced range and accuracy for killing, and its effect on expanding the popularity of the sport, the population has increased""

Why don't you come up to Northen Wis. and take a look at the population. Very sad we don't even have doe tags available. "

05-Nov-14
Looking at Ashland's numbers you can see a trend where there was a drop after severe winters, and yes, the antlerless shooting by hunters. Of course there's always roadkill and predation by bears, wolves, coyotes, bobcats, etc. too.

The county's (and state's) all-time record kill came in 2000, when there was no EAB anywhere. Nearly 7,600 whitetails were shot by hunters in Ashland County that year.

Protecting antlerless deer from hunting in almost all the northern forest zone this season will help the population recover, a boost that could really take off if we don't have another extreme winter any time soon.

05-Nov-14
Sooo NAZ ! did you call the # and verify what I posted after you insinuated I wasn't posting the facts from that reg. station !!!?

" Arrow, registration stations send stubs in regularly, so are you basing your count on a week or two?""

05-Nov-14
Archery was over the day they legalized xbows... get use to it.. Wisconsin no longer has a Archery season.

05-Nov-14
Arrow, it was a simple question, as stations send in stubs regularly (DNR provides envelopes); I wondered if it was the whole season or a week or two, that's all. So they have 12 deer, and nine are crossbow; obviously that's a lot in one area, but you can't extrapolate that for the whole state. Just a wild guess but I'm thinking somewhere around 60-70K deer for bow hunters and 15-20K for crossbow, about half bucks.

06-Nov-14
Naz "" but you can't extrapolate that for the whole state"" Show me the post the I did !!! I posted "I stopped by a registration station in Ashland Co. this morn. Did the reg. #'s 75% xgun kill so far""..

I see no wording that extrapolated it to the whole state. Now,,, one could go as far and say when pollsters do a poll they just take a sampling of the state and not poll every voter to see what may be the trend. I didn't even suggest that.

Your riding that horse awfully high.

06-Nov-14
Regardless guys,as AW implied, bow hunting is dying a rapid death in Wisconsin. Nobody with any sense can dispute this fact.

06-Nov-14
"So they have 12 deer, and nine are crossbow; obviously that's a lot in one area, but you can't extrapolate that for the whole state"

My relatives have begun the switch. I do not hunt with them except for gun season. My father has had a crossbow for about 10 years due to being disabled. My uncle who hasn't shot a deer with his bow for probably 8 years, switch to a crossbow and shot a buck opening day. It will only be a short while until his son makes the switch. My father's wife now hunts with a crossbow. Spoke with by brother-in-law last night, he stated he needed a new bow and decided to switch. He also decided my 12 yr old nephew would start hunting with a crossbow. With that, his other two son's I'm sure will begin the same way.

Why? Easier. It's ironic to hear grown men sit and complain about "kids these days"....they need everything "right now" and their "entitlement"; video games, blah, blah, blah. Yet the same grown men go out and make the switch. Talk about "talking through both sides of your mouth'.

06-Nov-14
Geitz is correct (sorry Zinger)

I am hoping to get pics of a ten year old that shot a nice buck with a crossbow this past weekend. When Dad was asked why the crossbow he stated it is easier.

I was in Cinncinati this week on business and sat next to a strapping 27 year old on the plane out of there in route to Minnesota. I showed him a book from Asbell on stalking etc He said he uses a compound once in a while but prefers the crossbow. I asked why?? He said easier...

06-Nov-14
On Halloween, a few people stopped over(no kids..lol). The couple introduced me to a neighbor of the land we hunt on. We started talking about hunting and the neighbor stated her husband and boys love bow hunting. Then she said, her husband just purchased three crossbows for him and his two boys a few weeks back. She then showed a picture of her son's buck.

Our friend started to explain my family's involvement with our local club and WBH. She then started to change her tune. She stated her husband was a diehard bowhunter but last year, he couldn't get his bow pulled back in time for a huge buck so he switched the family to crossbows. After realizing what she said, she started making excuses why they switched.

Funny, crossbow hunter's wives making excuses for crossbowing hunters.

06-Nov-14
There is always MN and IL for those who want to hunt a state that has not caved yet. From what I'm reading, I see no other choice as the odds of a compound hunter and probably even a gun hunter to get a deer is remote now and will only get worse. I sure hope lots of people head to where the grass is greener or quit altogether. That will provide more room and space for those who look at hunting differently than just the kill.

06-Nov-14
You can get a deer with very little effort. In fact, it takes less effort than at any time in history. Three months of crossbow season, and a gun season. Even a democrat could get a deer these days, little skill or effort required.

07-Nov-14
"You can get a deer with very little effort. In fact, it takes less effort than at any time in history. Three months of crossbow season, and a gun season. Even a democrat could get a deer these days, little skill or effort required."

If it's so easy, why are success rates only at 32-34%?

07-Nov-14
I'm guessing here but I agree with sawtooth IF folks are willing and able to make the effort to find a good spot (public) or have access to some decent habitat on private land. There are many license-buyers who aren't willing or able to make the effort to find prime habitat, or don't have access to it and hunt spots where they want deer to be, not where deer prefer to be. Also there are some who just plain can't sit still enough and don't hunt smart enough. And, yes, even experienced hunters eat tags, but almost always because they wanted to. For example, I'd bet most here pass on many deer (bucks and antlerless) within range each season.

07-Nov-14
"Even a democrat could get a deer these days, little skill or effort required. "

Actually, democrats expect deer to be given to them versus them earning a deer :).

08-Nov-14
I just saw the license numbers for this yr. Approx. 175,000 bow and 60,000 cross gun licenses sold. 26,000 increase of licenses from last yr. I wonder what it will be next yr and the yr after.

• Sitka Gear