Buck Suicide 30-Oct-14
Dampland 30-Oct-14
Buck Suicide 30-Oct-14
Buck Suicide 31-Oct-14
FiveRs 31-Oct-14
29-Oct-14

youngcd12's embedded Photo
youngcd12's embedded Photo
I found this mark on the ground about 15 yards from one of my stands. Is it a scrape? There is no overhanging branch or limb above it...it was kind of out in the open.

29-Oct-14
Without a licking branch, I cant say for sure from that picture. Without knowing the area etc who knows

One way to know is to get down and stick your nose by the ground if you have any doubts..the smell should let you know if its a scrape.You should smell the odor of deer if its actually a scrape.

Otherwise put a trial cam pointing at it and see what comes by.

30-Oct-14
based on the picture, and your description of its location, I would say it is NOT a scrape, or at least not one worth getting excited about, or hunting over.

30-Oct-14
I have a question about a scrape too. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of it, but it was by an apple tree less than 50 yards away from a mock scrape (currently being used) that I created. The "scrape" was long and very skinny. The licking branch would have to be used on their back feet at minimum as there is nothing close for the deer to use. I would say 4-6 inches wide and probably about 3-4 feet long. Could this be a start to a new scrape? There are prints all around that apple tree obviously. I am still a pretty novice bowhunter.

30-Oct-14
Buck Suicide,

Bucks often stand on their hind legs to work a licking branch. I have gotten many photos/videos of bucks doing this over the last decade.

It is not uncommon for a mature buck to make a scrape close to another scrape that is not his (in this case, your mock)

I would use a stick to smooth out this new "scrape", and then check back in a couple days, and see if the scrape has been re-worked and shows the classic hoof lines in the dirt, and a footprint in the middle of the scrape.

30-Oct-14
Thanks for the info Dampland. I appreciate it!

31-Oct-14
Well Dampland it looks like you were correct. I checked the scrape before work this morning and it's definitely growing!

31-Oct-14

FiveRs's embedded Photo
FiveRs's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear