L.S. 30-Oct-14
gcoleman 30-Oct-14
ken 30-Oct-14
wycomtman 30-Oct-14
Babysaph 30-Oct-14
Bob Dunn 31-Oct-14
Babysaph 31-Oct-14
29-Oct-14
I have been invited to join a lease in Wyoming county by one of my friends in Pendleton county. It is owned by a coal company and leased to these hunters. Starts in Jan and me and my buddy are going down to look at it then. I havn't hunted in those counties. What should I look for?

29-Oct-14
you mean other than big bucks, large rubs and posted signs with bullet holes?

I hope you picked up that Honda ATV you were asking about earlier cause you're gonna need it down there.

Best of luck.

29-Oct-14
Find out if there are any plans to timber or mine the property. See if it borders an active mine. Mine formen think that all surrounding land is their private hunting land.

Pay attention to access, both vehicle and atv. That will determine how much hunting pressure, both legal and illegal it gets.

In any of those counties the problem, unlike location, location, location its access, access, access.

Anywhere in those counties you have chances at big bucks, but the more limited access points for hunters and poachers the better your chances are.

Plus all the other routine deer stuff, ridge lines , low gaps, flats and logging roads on either side of main ridges, oaks , etc.

Good luck, don't take anyone else's Oxys , and make sure no one is standing behind you when you bend over, and make sure everything you have is locked, including your trailer hitch and you will be fine.

29-Oct-14
Quit wasting your time babysaph, we've all heard you wine around for years that wv doesn't hold any big bucks and we can't grow them, so you tell us.... What are you looking for??? Sasquatch...lol

29-Oct-14
He's wanting a BIG spike.

29-Oct-14
Study google earth or bing maps ,,,like gobbler said if it has a strip mine bordering it , more then 2 access roads pass it ,,,make sure all roads are gated and have huge rocks on sides of gates or deep ditches with alligators ,,no atv trails from bordering property,,and some nut case don't have 30 cows trespassing on lease

29-Oct-14
Jason he would probably DOUBT he saw one sorry jr you open yourself for that one.talk to the local hunters Jason and his family are first class.atv with a winch talk to coleman he can fill you in on the atv regs.touch base with the local DNR police they can help you a lot.if you cant find his number ill get it for you you wont see one every trip but when you do try to remember to breath bob dunn almost fainted several times

29-Oct-14
Yea they said I would need an atv. How do you kill deer off an atv?

29-Oct-14
You mean they have poachers down there? How do you poach with. Bow?

29-Oct-14
I never said we couldn't grow them. But we can't by shooting them all. I figured whY go to the Midwest when the big deer are here. A lot closer

29-Oct-14
You have to have someone drive your atv while you sit on the back with your bow in hand.

Most all the bigger towns have a "rent a driver" store where you can pay someone to drive your atv while you sit on the back. Usually runs 50-60 dollars a day plus tip.

29-Oct-14
Ken huh? Not one period in your post. Can't understand it. And I believe what I see not what is photoshopped.

29-Oct-14
Thanks ken. Finally figured it out. Going to do my homework.

29-Oct-14
Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to scout it and do my homework. I can only hunt 3 days a week but that will let me scout some too. I would like to spend the month of November there to hunt some. Never hunted down in SWV

29-Oct-14
Everybody is different in how they hunt but with the lower deer population and good buck/doe ratio I've had better luck picking a good spot and sticking with it rather than hopping from place to place. It's tough to do cause you don't see a lot of deer but if you are in a good funnel or where several travel lanes come together the bucks will move thru there sometime.

During the rut try to stay on stand all day, even though I've killed more bucks the first hour or two of the morning, I've seen more buck movement from 10 am-2pm. I don't know why?

29-Oct-14
If you hang stands or camera try to get off the beaten path and lockem down tight!!

29-Oct-14
jr if your going to hunt nov make those contacts and find out when those bucks are in rut general rule is if there in rut in the state parks there in rut.twin falls is a great lodge to stay at.

29-Oct-14
Thanks Ken. This is all new to me

29-Oct-14
I want to thank you guys for the advice. Even though we don't always agree., mountaineers always stick together.

30-Oct-14
Coleman can tell you, where and how to get your ATV license and permit. If he does not want to help you give Kenny a call. He can tell you all about George and the ATV license.

30-Oct-14
real bunch of clowns haa has

30-Oct-14
I had nothing to do with that his buddys did it

30-Oct-14
Hey JR, I have a side by side that you can get in the back of and I'll ride you around real slow, you may have to shoot on the drive though. It has upgraded headlights too that I only use for this time of year on special occasions. BUT, all of that will come at a small cost!!! Good luck pal,.... Shoot straight

30-Oct-14
Can I shoot a crossbow out of it??

31-Oct-14
Alot of good advice there. Definitely plan on sittin all day. And don't forget your ATV license like Georgie did. hehehe!

31-Oct-14
Thanks for all the good advice guys.

• Sitka Gear