BigWoods71 30-Oct-14
Stlhtr 30-Oct-14
Dr. Deer 30-Oct-14
bigbuckbob 31-Oct-14
cuntrytocity 31-Oct-14
29-Oct-14

Nothing's embedded Photo
Nothing's embedded Photo
Been to state land few times I cant believe how many people walk through the woods , and they let thier dogs run free . Is this how all state land hunting is?

29-Oct-14
That is a coydog. Shoot on sight. They are dangerous to your hunting location. Coyote season is open.

Coyote No Limit

Jan 1 - April 29 June 2 - Dec 31

1/2 hour before Sunrise* until 1/2 hour after Sunset

29-Oct-14
Where are you hunting??

I hunt Salmon River and Meshomasic. Never see anyone there. Not even other bowhunters.

I guess you need to pick your spots wisely.

29-Oct-14
There's a piece of state land that I've been hunting for years. This year is the first year that I've had a problem with dogs running around. I don't know if there is someone new on the neighboring property but there dogs are running around barking and chasing off the animals. I ended up just pulling my stand out of there. Sucks because it's usually my morning go to spot.

29-Oct-14
Guy walking his greyhound unleashed yesterday. The old guy was wearing a white hat and gloves to topmit off. On state land during firearms season Im thinking this guys life would be in danger. I have been hunting this spot for a couple years now and this is the first time that has happened. The thing that got me was he had to walk by my truck to get onto the fireroad to get onto the property. I guess he didn't notice the "Bowhunter" sticker Bowtech sticker or major league bowhunter stickers on the back window.

29-Oct-14
This comes up EVERY single year.

Why do you guys continue to hunt in areas that other people go through?? Better yet, why are you hunting these areas so close to where people move through??

I cannot understand this. There is so much state to hunt...a ton of it where you will never see a soul.

29-Oct-14
I hunt i the northwest corner in public areas that are not pressured very much during archery season, four of the last five seasons I have only seen people a few times and only once another hunter. Why do I continue to hunt these places? ? Try obtaining private land in that part of the state as an out of state hunter, in five seasons I have only been able to secure permission on private property once, had it for one season and then the owner sold it,approached the new owner and told resoundingly no.

29-Oct-14
Bloodtrail I continue to hunt these areas because they hold deer there. I'm fine with people being out there they have the right to be there too. I've had deer come by right after people have. This is the first year that dogs have been running around unattended which I'm not really upset by either I just moved out of there for now. I also hunt meshomasic once in a while some nice area over there. Scouted around in the off season and found a good spot but but there was a stand about 200 yards away so I decided not to hunt there.

30-Oct-14
Durham Meadows in Durham is like a unofficial dog park, at least the section just south of rt 68 is.. Avoid it.

30-Oct-14
I agree with Bloodtrail, I wouldn't waste my time on an area if I knew of even the slightest human activity there. The key to success on state land is you have to go where NO ONE else goes. There are plenty of fresh spots but there is a reason why....they are not easy to get in or out.

30-Oct-14
I hunt state land sometimes with a lot of hiking and mountain bikers and like it. Deer are used to the people and less jumpy and if you get winded they think your a hiker depending on your location. Also, other people sometimes get the deer up and moving. Plus i can hike the main trails with speed and not worry about making noise. An example would be Huntington in Redding.

30-Oct-14
The big deer are in the thick, remote crap anyway. Are there any waterways you can use to access areas off the beaten track?

31-Oct-14
I hunt state land but not where there are any hiking trails or bike paths. Dr Deer is right, I look for mountain laurel stands, thick brush areas, up against a steep ridge and I may not see a lot of deer but I do on occasion see some nice bucks, especially after the gun seasons.

Right now I'm on state land with real thick brush that's about 4 ft high in some areas. I've had deer bed down right in front of me for hours and at times it took me several minutes to find them again.

31-Oct-14
I had success at Trout Brook Valley in Redding. I agree with "Stlhtr", the deer get somewhat used to human activity. I got a doe and got winded by a buck my first year hunting there, and there's plenty of human activity and dogs. But the dogs do present a problem, because most are unleashed, they chase the deer, which was about the only I didn't like about hunting there. Now I pretty much do like "bloodtrail" I try to hunt areas that aren't easily accessible, particularly areas that have moderate to steep climbs, because most hunters aren't going to have the willpower to walk hilly terrain. If anything, I say hunt where you feel most comfortable and enjoy yourself.

• Sitka Gear