Naz MacBook 03-Nov-14
>>>--arrow1--> 03-Nov-14
Glassman 04-Nov-14
>>>--arrow1--> 04-Nov-14
Naz MacBook 04-Nov-14
smokey 04-Nov-14
Steve White 04-Nov-14
30-Oct-14
So I had a guy I use to know call me last night. This is how part of the conversation went.

Him- I shot a 7 pointer last week.

Me- Oh Yeah?

Him- Yep, wife called me on the radio. (they use radios to communicate inside the house, lol) Said there was a buck in the yard if I wanted to shoot it. So I put my pants on. Walked outside, the buck looked at me. I looked at him. I shot him. Tag filled!!

Made me disgusted, and laugh at the same time!!

30-Oct-14
Isnt it illegal to use communication devices such as cell phones, radios, walkie talkies etc. to tell another hunter where deer are or what theyre doing?

I personally dont really care, but if I were your buddy, I wouldnt be telling the world that information.

30-Oct-14
swobo, it's only illegal to use those things to communicate to have someone come tag a deer when party hunting. I have a feeling that this guy hunts for meat and if that's the case I guess there really isn't anything wrong with what he did, not something I would want to do but many people's only reason to hunt is for the meat.

Technically he would have had to have his backtag on. If it was gun season he would have needed his backtag and orange on even if shooting out of his house!

30-Oct-14
Sounds like someone's jealous. If the bucks dumb enough to stand outside the house he was asking to get shot!

30-Oct-14
Howatt, give your agenda a rest for just ONE thread will you!?

30-Oct-14
Most "real" bowhunters pull a trigger today too …. how about a fingers-only guy using a self bow and arrows; now there's a real hunter! Then have him skip the ozonics machine (a joke), the tree stand and the hand-shucked corn, and get on the ground with a loin cloth and bare feet and no shower for days and see how much of a hunter he is. How far will some go to try to divide? With those players, only HSUS wins.

30-Oct-14
Why were his pants off? Is the real question.

30-Oct-14
Why were his pants off? Is the real question.

30-Oct-14
My friend shot a nice buck last Friday nite in Florence County....... I scored it for him,,,,122 5/8ths,,,,,,,

It was shot from a 43lb recurve, a Morrison, he bought at Comptons last summer......

It was shot from hard scouting, and alot of work...

No bait no cameras, no junk.

It was his first bow kill. I was so excited for him. I gave to him, a gift.....

the gift was my second copy, of " Bows of the Delta" by Glenn St Charles.......

some of us still apreciate where archery and bow hunting came from.....

Believe it or not, the dream is still alive for many of us......

Last week I got to teach a local 4H group about sharpening, both knives and broad heads. You know the kids came, and ate it up..... by the end of the day, they knew more than their parents.....

the kids love this stuff, and you know what, most do not want a x bows, their parents buy them this junk

30-Oct-14
Nicely stated razor! Good choice of book for him. I got to meet Glen at Comptons a few years ago.

30-Oct-14
So was his wife wearing the pants prior?

30-Oct-14
He didnt say anything about wearing a back tag though.

30-Oct-14
The violator who shot a spike buck over a challenging corn pile with a rifle says...

"Not everybody is into hunting like we are. He might be a guy that is not really that into it and doesnt give it much time or make it a priority and was happy to fill his tag in the easiest way possible."

Hilarious.

Thanks for the chuckle.

I have real hunting Labs to feed to chase pheasants and woodcock this weekend. At the end of the day I'm going to hunt whitetail honestly.

Since that sounds like a great deal of work I'm sure Mr. Howatt will find a means to demean that scenario.

30-Oct-14
Turkeyhunter, +1 — and good luck with those real labs!

31-Oct-14

Steve White's embedded Photo
Steve White's embedded Photo
Purposely left out the weapon used since it does not matter. Meat hunter would be the case I suppose. The entire deer was turned into jerky. Many deer are harvested this way around here every year. Won't lie to you. I have stepped out onto my patio and dropped a few for the freezer as well. I don't consider it hunting, but rather just shooting. Like most areas the numbers have dropped here. Most of the deer right around my place live their entire lives around the houses. Mostly all small parcels. So really most were shot in this same way.

This pic was just a few minutes ago from my patio. At the point of pic would have been a 35 yd shot. Tried to get a pic when they got closer, but dogs in house didn't like the idea. Even though I do not feed. These dang things keep coming in my yard. Had a fat doe standing just 10ft from my front window last night. Wife said she just wanted to watch TV!

31-Oct-14
I've got many friends who either live up north or who have cabins, and they all say the same thing: tons of deer near the homes, cabins and businesses as many do feed. Even though you may not Steve, the neighbor might (and may have forgot to replenish, so they came to see if you were offering!). Decades ago, before we had turkeys in my neck of the woods, we used to head up to the Pembine area to try to nail some of the migrants that crossed the river from Michigan. Turkeys strutting and deer feeding all over, IF it was in someone's wooded yard.

In a perfect world, if recreational feeding or baiting wasn't allowed within 100 yards of a dwelling Sept-Oct-Nov at minimum, you'd certainly expect to see more deer in the surrounding county, state and federal lands.

02-Nov-14
Naz, without a doubt!! The wagon wheel effect will always be the case anywhere feeding is allowed. Then you got those that try to use birds as a grey area.

I would guess that a large percentage of the locals harvest deer right from their home up here. Which is fine, and dont bother me. What does is when these people spout about how great their hunting skills are. Like the guy at the start of this thread. Feeder in front, and back. Yet he is a great hunter with superior skills. YEP, UH HUH!!!

03-Nov-14

>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
Ya Naz and this is no different. This is a pic of just 1/4 of a bait plot of pumpkins. This bait plot has several hundred in it. Or you cutting cedar boughs last year to bait in a doe to kill ! Oh I forgot you didn't feel that was baiting. You were just trimming out a stand.. Baiting and feeding is baiting and feeding no matter how you do it! The problem is the ethics of some that do it and HOW they do it.. Don't just blame baiting and feeding! Bait plots are just as bad.

You also forgot to mention why many of the deer up here are close to homes or towns,,,, the predator effect. A lot of deer have moved closer to humans to avoid predators. I see this EVERY spring with the fawns laying next to cabins and homes.

I think shooting a deer even in legal hours in a yard stinks.

03-Nov-14
It's possible deer move toward homes to avoid predators, but I'm not buying it overall. I believe it's more "handout" based from year-round feeding. Same with fawns dropped in yards. Why not? Mom has dined there all winter. There have been instances where DNR found wolves homing in on backyard feeding in elk country; that's one reason why it was discouraged. Wolves come right into horse and cattle yards, as well as back yards to attack the occasional dog.

As for last year, I didn't cut cedar boughs to bait in a doe, rather just left 'em where they dropped at the base of the tree (they were trimmed for a stand and the whole pile was eaten within a day or two).

03-Nov-14
"""As for last year, I didn't cut cedar boughs to bait in a doe, rather just left 'em where they dropped at the base of the tree (they were trimmed for a stand and the whole pile was eaten within a day or two). ""

And I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale Cheap !!! LOL.

""DNR found wolves homing in on backyard feeding in elk country; that's one reason why it was discouraged"" So why is the DNR feeding ELK by Clam Lake every winter ? OOOOH I see,,, do as I say not as we the DNR DO / preach !!!

03-Nov-14

Naz MacBook's embedded Photo
Naz MacBook's embedded Photo
Steve, here's a shot as I came back in to drag out the second doe. You can see the stripped cedar bough pile in the foreground, right side … (did you expect me to carry the boughs out of the swamp?). My tree stand tree was just northwest (not shown) and that's where some of the boughs fell. There were several piles on the sides of the tree and all were stripped within a day or two of being cut. Majority was at night but did get some images during day, mainly of fawns.

Also, I'm not aware of DNR feeding elk except when holding in pens (hay I believe) to acclimate them initially when trapped/transferred or when trying to attract them into traps for radio-collaring. Do you know different?

03-Nov-14
""You can see the stripped cedar bough pile in the foreground, right side "" Take a look at the pic you posted on the thread earlier this year....

And yes the DNR have feed the Elk numerous times in Clam lake. Alfalfa, Corn, Apples.

I don't care if are against baiting / feeding or anyone else,,,, But don't act like the big anti baiter/feeder and do what you did last year to shoot a doe. Be fair and preach to ban it all if that's what you want.. Bait Plots are worst then the LEGAL 2 gallons. I know I plant acres and acres.

04-Nov-14
About 8 years ago I had a nice buck walk in on me, I was in a funnel, he looked up at me and spooked a little and I could not draw back, He walked off down the funnel towards the road which is about 1/4 mile, I live only 1/2 a mile away so I called my wife told her to quickly park by my truck and make some noise in the funnel by the road, she calls me back and said... He is heading in your direction. I look up and there he is. I drew back and shot right over his back. (That's what I get for cheating) My very next purchase was a range finder.... BTW, I believe this practice is not lawful in Ohio (Where I moved here from) Not sure about Wisconsin, I will say even though I did this it should not be Legal to do this. Also the pic of the pumpkins.... IMO that is no different than a patch of Biologic or any other food plot. Food is food. Planted or staged if your hunting near or over it, you are baiting deer, I have no problems with either. We do it for most forms of hunting why is Deer any different than Bear, We put worms on hooks for obvious reasons, We use Scents and objects like a little bag of wood to fool Deer, What is next... Don't hunt on a rutted down trail because Deer use it to move from point A to point B?? We do all the above practices to get an advantage on a Deer much smarter than us. If your hunting with a recurve with no scents and or calls sitting on a tree limb or even stalking and you think you are a "REAL" hunter versus someone using a compound with all the extras including a release then that is just fine with me. For me if I used a recurve, I am guessing I would wound more deer that harvest.

04-Nov-14
Glassman,,,""Also the pic of the pumpkins.... IMO that is no different than a patch of Biologic or any other food plot. Food is food. Planted or staged if your hunting near or over it, you are baiting deer, I have no problems with either. We do it for most forms of hunting why is Deer any different than Bear, We put worms on hooks for obvious reasons, We use Scents and objects like a little bag of wood to fool Deer, What is next... Don't hunt on a rutted down trail because Deer use it to move from point A to point B?? We do all the above practices to get an advantage on a Deer much smarter than us.""

I agree 100%.......... I just don't like the posters that profess one thing and do another then try to justify their actions " As,,, That's Different ". LOL

04-Nov-14
Not sure where you're coming from Steve. Have not posted against any legal hunting method, but have stated that I believe that many deer congregate near cabins, homes and businesses up north where they are fed year-round. Cut many more boughs and "leaners" (thinning 'em out) after the season was over for the hungry deer, even though this was bordering ag land. Snow was so deep that they were mostly sticking to the woods.

04-Nov-14
The elk feeding was to bait the elk into the pens for tagging and only in the pens.

04-Nov-14
Is Arrow named Steve? Since it is surely not me with those comments!! I do have to wonder about the predator comment. Makes sense they will follow the game. I have had wolves right in my backyard. One of the reasons my dogs are kept in an enclosed kennel. I am only 1 mile from downtown St Germain. Many wolves have been seen right on the main drag through town. Of course the coyotes, bear, and every other predator as well.

I am not going to chastise anyone for taking advantage of legal methods. The delusion of grandeur to great skills doing it. Is what I find humorous in it.

• Sitka Gear