onX Maps
Blood Lights??
Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
Steve White 30-Oct-14
Zinger 30-Oct-14
Dampland 30-Oct-14
30-Oct-14
I see there are a few new blood lights on the market this year. Has anyone tried any of the new ones, or had luck with any of them??

30-Oct-14
A buddy of mine bought one of the supposed blood trailing lights a couple years ago that consisted of a blue and white light overlapping if I remember correctly. It was a joke!

Get a quality LED light as they throw off a much more white light than a bulb. If you're still using a Mag light it's time to upgrade! Be careful of how many lumens you get. Being men we always think bigger is better but that's not the case when it comes to a trailing light. To many lumens and it washes out your vision and all you see is a big white spot on the ground. 300 lumens is the most I would go with for blood trailing and less is usually even better. The light I use for walking in is 600 lumens and has a low setting of 35 lumens as honestly that is enough for most blood trailing - the 35 not the 60. Most all flashlights are more of a spot than a flood pattern, if you're using a flood pattern them more lumens is better. This year I planned on using a Streamlight knuckle head flood with 200 lumens but both my deer dropped in sight and during daylight so hopefully I have a buddy call me to help trail so I can put it to the test.

Another item I planned on using was a thermal imager but again I didn't need it yet this year.

30-Oct-14
I tried the Primos blood light about 5 years ago. Total waste of money, in fact my regular headlamps with white bulbs showed the blood better than the Primos blood light.

Save your money.

• Sitka Gear