Bowhunter383 30-Oct-14
Bowhunter383 30-Oct-14
Bowhunter383 30-Oct-14
Wild Bill 30-Oct-14
Dr. Deer 30-Oct-14
30-Oct-14
What kind of deer call should be used this time of the year and how do i use it

30-Oct-14
Tending grunts and bleat's (I like "the can")

You can blend them over about 20" - grunt grunt, bleat, grunt, grunt, grunt, bleat bleat.

You can randomly do them - on the hour bleat, on the half hour grunt or something similar.

You see a deer and it' goes out of sight heading away - grunt or bleat a few times (grunt, grunt or bleat bleat).

30-Oct-14
I don't use a call unless I have a buck (that I can see) that's not coming my way, otherwise I just like to blend in and not have him looking for where that sound came from.

30-Oct-14
BBB, thats probably why you haven't had a big buck in shooting range in 16 years. LOL, smiley face :)

I call all the time in the stand. Grunts only. About every 10 mins. Bucks move fast this time of year. I also rattle softly & sparingly when I can see a buck that won't respond to the grunts. I have called several of these guys in when they hear the soft rattling.

30-Oct-14
what type of grunts

30-Oct-14
what type of grunts

30-Oct-14
what type of grunts

30-Oct-14
Just regulat buck grunts. Not too loud or deep either. Usually a burst of 3-5 over 4-10 seconds...A steady cadence.

If you ever get to hear a buck grunt in the woods you will have some that grunt with every step and there are some that grunt once or twice and never again. It's actually eye opening when you actually get to hear them.

30-Oct-14
What do you think about estrus bleats

30-Oct-14
I personally have had zero success with them...to the point that when I have tried the bleat with a buck in view, they went the other way. I carried that stupid CAN call in my pocket for about ten years until finally I threw it away. I have never ever ever heard a doe make that sound...but I have heard does grunt and plenty of bucks grunt.

30-Oct-14
Tips and thoughts of mixing in rattles with buck grunts.

30-Oct-14
Tips and thoughts of mixing in rattles with buck grunts.

30-Oct-14
Will does still pass through if they hear buck grunts

30-Oct-14
I've had great success with calls, and the Li'l Doe in a Can is the best. I would put the grunt call next, and then the snort. The snort is really exciting when a buck is in view and passing by. I usually just block one of my nostrils and blow hard. Compared to what I've heard deer do, my nose is just as good.

Bowhunter383,

I once had a doe lead a buck to me when I rattled antlers and grunted.

I have the antlers on a string and jerk them up and down at ground level. Dropping them on the ground, stirring leaves, branches and rattling, sounds a bit more authentic. Keep your hand working the string between you and the tree to reduce visible movement. A snort and a few grunts before the rattle will do.

30-Oct-14
I tend to call when squirrels are making a commotion. To my ears, it sounds more like a buck chasing a doe around if there is some coincidental leave shuffling at the same time. Can't say it's worked for me yet thought

• Sitka Gear