Contributors to this thread:
AndyJ 30-Oct-14
Eagle_eye_Andy 31-Oct-14
AndyJ 31-Oct-14
Eagle_eye_Andy 04-Nov-14
Bobbin hood 08-Nov-14
Steve Hay 09-Nov-14
30-Oct-14
There is a decent chance I am moving to Ogallala. Does anyone have much experience with the area. I drove around for a couple hours and saw a lot of pheasants and a few turkeys. What is the deer hunting situation like? How is the access? Are landowners willing to allow hunting or is everything tied up in leases? Are the deer pretty good sized? How is the pressure?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Andy

31-Oct-14
Ill let someone more local to that area answer with more authority but you have decent chance at Muleys and Whitetails there. Like most areas along the Platte river access is tough, but may not be impossible. There is a lot of Public CRP south of you, but much of that has been hayed here in the past few years. Good waterfowl hunting and excellent fishing all around species and even for big rainbows and browns at lake Ogallala. Sandhills aren't far to your north at all and they are worth a look. Nebraska is a great place to live if you forget high taxes! Good luck to you!

Andy B

31-Oct-14
YES!!! A response! Thanks Andy. I appreciate the information. I live in CO at the moment so I am not sure whether or not to be excited.

04-Nov-14
No problem! Like I said I can't give you many more details about that specific area, but the people here in Nebraska, especially western Nebraska, are second to none! Its a cow town afterall! And the sandhills have the potential to grab you and never let go, I am proof of that! If I had the chance to live as close to them as you I wouldn't hesitate! If it's meant to be it's meant to be go with your gut!

Where in CO are you from? I have relatives in Ft Collins.

08-Nov-14
NO Matter where your going to live in NE, it will be GREAT! The PEOPLE are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09-Nov-14
If I were to live and retire in ne., ogallala would be my destination. Great fishing and hunting. Right size of town for me. Close to the mountains and sand hills.

• Sitka Gear