lame crowndip 31-Oct-14
Crusader dad 31-Oct-14
wibuckwatch 31-Oct-14
Naz MacBook 31-Oct-14
happygolucky 31-Oct-14
10orbetter 31-Oct-14
RUGER1022 31-Oct-14
31-Oct-14
Wondering peoples thoughts on hunting in the wind. Today in Buffalo county the wind is out of the NW at 10-15mph. Is it worth sitting?

31-Oct-14
I would. Years ago the common thought was that deer did not move much in the (high) winds. Again something that some of the writers pushed. Got one of my best bucks in a 40 mph wind. I WOULD suggest limiting the shot length to shorter shots. If you are in a sturdy tree there will not be a problem. The night I shot the aforementioned buck I was in a very large maple and I could feel the tree moving. The 15 yard shot was pretty easy. I do think that the high winds tend to break up your scent stream.

31-Oct-14
Today would be a good day for a ground blind. Make sure to use the ground stakes. Wind, rain, sleet, or snow, any weather is good weather since we can't kill them from the couch. Unfortunately, I have to work outside in this sh*t. Hunting in bad weather, no problem. Working in bad weather, stinks.

31-Oct-14
Taking today off to get some family time in.. Then back at it tomorrow. Not a big fan of the high winds.

31-Oct-14
Many studies have found that as wind speed increases, daytime deer movements decrease. Lighter winds are to a deer's advantage. They can detect sound and movement easily and determine which direction odors are coming from. High winds put everything in motion and mess with a deer's sense of smell and hearing, too. Of course, it is the rut and there always exceptions. I try to use these type of days (it's a gale here, with some gusts 45 to 55 mph reported this morning) to scout and move stands.

31-Oct-14
I'm headed up north in a couple of hours. I plan to hunt because my time is limited the rest of the season. Not utopia conditions, but it is what it is. One never knows.

Good luck to everyone and strap in.

31-Oct-14
I errored on the side of caution tonight.

31-Oct-14
I am not a fan of windy conditions BUT, One year I got back from a Canadian hunt on Nov 4 th. The wind was blowing 35 to 45 in WI. I went out at 2:30 . It was so bad I leaned on a tree, I didn't dare sit in a tree.

At 3:30 a doe went flying by into the wind. 8 Bucks went flying by in the next hour. The last was a huge 8 point, about a 140 . He stopped at 20 yards as I pulled the bow back. I lowered the bow and said to the buck. " Your lucky pal, I shot a bigger buck 2 days ago, your off the hook.

As Kevin said, during the Rut, yes.

• Sitka Gear