WV Mountaineer 06-Nov-14
CGBowhunter 07-Nov-14
speedy 07-Nov-14
gcoleman 07-Nov-14
Boothill 13-Nov-14
Clare@work 15-Nov-14
Clare@work 15-Nov-14
06-Nov-14
The new QDMA magazine had an interesting article about maned deer and the rarity of them and how it relates to leftover genes from their evolutionary past. This got me thinking how common or uncommon it is in WV.

I've killed a good number of deer but have only killed one that I remembered had a mane. That was in Mercer county back in the 70's.

How many of you guys have seen or killed a maned deer?

06-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Maned buck

06-Nov-14
Have never seen or heard of such a thing

06-Nov-14
Me either.

06-Nov-14
I've seen it. I just thought it was a shabby job on the taxidermists bondo'ing the too small of a form he used. :^)

Seriously, I've heard of it but, never seen it in person. God Bless

07-Nov-14
Never seen one with anything that even resembled a mane

07-Nov-14
Never seen nor heard

07-Nov-14
killed a ton of deer over last 40 years of hunting never seen one.. but i heard of them,,its an ice age genetic hold over,,, I can see that have you ever looked closely at MP and L Sneed they kinda got that cave man look in their faces and bodes,, so I guess it could also happen in deer ,,, lol lol pay back time boys lol,,,that theres funny

13-Nov-14
yes.....1985 buck, Jefferson county PA...not as pronounced as the above, but noticeable.

15-Nov-14
Seen hundreds over the years in the Taxidermy business. Not super uncommon , kinda like double throat patches.

15-Nov-14
Also mostly common on larger bucks, probably why you and George arent seeing many! lol

• Sitka Gear