Babysaph 14-Nov-14
Bob Dunn 25-Nov-14
M.P. 29-Nov-14
Babysaph 29-Nov-14
gobbler 29-Nov-14
M.P. 29-Nov-14
gobbler 29-Nov-14
07-Nov-14
Public meeting to determine interest in West Virginia elk restoration Nov. 13, 2014, 7 p.m., Chief Logan Lodge, Logan County

A meeting to help determine public interest in the restoration of elk to West Virginia has been scheduled for Nov. 13, 2014, 7 p.m., at Chief Logan Lodge in Logan County. The meeting is being conducted by the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (DNR), and the public is encouraged to attend and participate.

DNR has been working on a proposed elk restoration plan for the past few years and the taking of public comment is the next stage of the plan. Written comments may be mailed to: West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Section, 324 4th Avenue, South Charleston WV, 25303 or by email [email protected]. Written comments must be submitted by Dec. 5, 2014.

The draft West Virginia Elk Management Plan can be found online at http://wvdnr.gov/Publications/Draft_Elk_Plan.pdf

About the West Virginia Elk Management Plan

Eastern Elk (Cervus elaphus canadensis) were once common inhabitants of the eastern United States prior to European settlement. Elk roamed throughout what is now West Virginia, especially in the high mountain regions of the state. Historical records indicate elk were extirpated from West Virginia around 1875, and until recently, free-roaming elk have not been present in West Virginia. For the past several decades, elk have received protected status in the state. The West Virginia Code (ยง 20-1-2) defines elk as a "big game" animal; however, there is currently no hunting season in West Virginia for this species.

In an effort to evaluate the feasibility of restoring elk back to the state, the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources (now known as the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources) developed its first elk reintroduction feasibility study in 1972. More recently, the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, in cooperation with the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, conducted research in 2005 relating to the biological assessment of potential habitat and the social feasibility of restoring elk to the landscape in West Virginia.

The successful reintroduction of elk in Kentucky and Virginia has sparked renewed interest in active elk restoration in West Virginia.

**DNR**

07-Nov-14
We need to flood them with responses. As I have found out, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

09-Nov-14
Chief Logan conference center is between Chapmanville and Logan off of US 119

10-Nov-14
Think there will be a big turn out? What's ya predictions you think they will be more people for it or against it?

12-Nov-14
Jus so happens I'll be in the neighborhood that evening. Me and Mike Persinger plan on attending. Should I bring some popcorn Ken? 8^)

13-Nov-14
Be careful what you wish for. My experience from PA (not that anyone should strive to emulate this program of the Pennsylvania game commission) is that the elk restoration benefits few hunters, provides some tourism, enrages landowners who are left to deal with the severe damage elk cause, and taps conservation officer resources better utilized protecting animals more accessible to "regular" people, like deer, etc. on a regular-non application basis. In short-a lot of trouble and money for little payback to the common man. I would love to think of wild elk roaming around the mountains of WV, unaccosted and available for all to hunt and enjoy, but the way people are today.....they are just unable to handle the reintegration of this particularly large animal.

13-Nov-14
Ok since boothill brought it up I will second that. Landowners will have a fit. It will be a money maker paying for the lottery but not many people will get to hunt them. The good ole boys will kill them for nothing.

13-Nov-14
JR, that's what I like about you, you always have such a positive and constructive attitude.

14-Nov-14
Are there proponents of elk reintroduction? I see where they will consume 15 lbs of food per day which would put additional stress on the critters that we currently have. Are elk more susceptible to disease and the proliferation of disease to other wildlife? Could someone explain why elk should be introduced? I'm not against elk, but I sure do love my whitetails.

WVmountaineer, do you think our forest could support an elk population without huge impact to turkey and deer?

14-Nov-14
I went to a presentation of the KY elk program at WVU last year where the lead elk biologist from KY have a lecture about the KY elk program. I actually asked that question.

The answer was that while there is some overlap in the diet between elk and deer, turkey, and bear such as acorns they have not seen any to the degree that it would be a threat or limiting factor to the other game species yet. Primarily because deer are browsers and elk are grazers and because of that difference they can live in the same area but have very little overlap for competition for good.

They did say that was something they are constantly monitoring and will continue to moniter.

14-Nov-14
Life lessons. I get my attitude by things I have learned. I wii be anxious to see how many people get to hunt them. I would like to see elk but I think the farmers might complain about them. Maybe we can get permits for crop damage. Lol.

14-Nov-14
As long as elk don't eat corn or wheat or soybeans or alfalfa farmers shouldn't care.

14-Nov-14
JR, the counties where they are considering have no wheat, corn, alfalfa, or beans for them to get into.

It's either wooded mountain land or reclaimed strip mines.

14-Nov-14
The Kentucky elk program is a huge success has been for several years,There are no huge farm in southern wv the terrain here is the same as Kentucky and Virginia.There were 250 people at last nights first meeting from 15 different counties.One man came from pike county Kentucky to tell what a huge success it had been.the vote was 247 for and 3 against the program.the one thing we do down here JR is we turn the GOOD OLD BOYS in for poaching.

14-Nov-14
....which brings up the biggest problem faced in hunting today. Poaching seems to be an accepted way of life for many these days. Elk would top the list. Sadly enough.

14-Nov-14
Good for you Ken. You turn em here and your cabin will get burned down. Fact. How many elk are they going to introduce? You are right gobbler no farms down there so no one will be opposed to it. What's not to like? I will apply.

14-Nov-14
So when are they going to introduce the elk?

25-Nov-14
Hey Ken, if you all run out of "good old boys" come on over to our lease. We have enough trespassers and poachers to go around. Heck, you could probably get your limit!

29-Nov-14
I think the biggest problem with the elk being introduced in Logan and Mingo counties will be the people who have no respect for the laws ...and there are of bunch of them. Since I have been hunting there I have had more trouble with poachers ,trespassers and thieves than anywhere I have hunted before. The road on our lease I ride my 4 wheeler to get to my area was blocked by the mines by 7 big ditches and a trespassers treestand was placed at the top of the hill. My year long preparation for the season was lost.

We caught a trespasser and even took pictures of his license number and called the DNR. So far I have not been contacted if an arrest has been made. Its frustrating. I paid good money to hunt there and so did a bunch of other guys but fighting the locals have taken a bunch of joy out of what hunting season should give. Much much more has happened at our lease with trespassers that involves stolen treestands, cameras and removed gates and cut locks. Its almost like hunting brings the worst out of people.

I figure the problem will get worse with elk being in the area until the good people of Logan and Mingo stop the lowlifes who run amok

29-Nov-14
Welcome to my world MP. I am used to it. That's why I complain about the good ole boys all the time. Since I electrified my stands it has helped

29-Nov-14
A couple of things may help. 1. If they start getting some tourism dollars people may be more likely to turn people in.

2. It's harder to get out an elk or elk antlers than a deer.

3. They are talking about a minimum fine of 5000.00 for an illegal elk kill.

These might help?

29-Nov-14
Maybe a bounty should be paid to aid in stopping trespassing and poaching. Give 10 percent of the fine to whoever turns a poacher or trespasser in and 10 percent to the officer who makes the arrest. Raise the fine limits 20 percent to pay for it.

I'm sure that wont float but enough is enough. Every year you hear the same stories and it seems to get worse.

29-Nov-14
I don't think the officers are allowed to receive rewards but that might be an idea. I know the NWTF will pay 200.00 as a reward for a convicted turkey poacher. At least they used to. I still think it's in effect. A reward would help someone buy some extra Oxys down there.

I think a lot of the thefts are do to people stealing stuff to sell for drug money. That's why I never go down there without a concealed weapon. In fact, I guess that's why I never go anywhere without one, it's gotten bad most everywhere.

• Sitka Gear