Contributors to this thread:
lettman 14-Nov-14
RC 14-Nov-14
Rut Nut 14-Nov-14
Red Beastmaster 14-Nov-14
Red Beastmaster 16-Nov-14
Mule Power 17-Nov-14
14-Nov-14
I always hate seeing this since so many of these accidents can be avoided. Please wear your harness and good luck to everyone on these last couple of days.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/11/pa_hunter_found_dead_after_tre.html#incart_river

14-Nov-14
That is the second one in two days in the SW. First guy broke his back. The man who died had a safety harness rolled up in his pocket!

14-Nov-14
Very sad! :(

I have gotten used to wearing mine and it's just second nature now. Don;t leave the ground without hooking up to the tree. And it doubles as a drag harness. Just tie a length of rope to it and other end to deer. WELL worth the $$ and the extra minute it takes to hook up.

14-Nov-14
Stories like this are why I gave up treestands. A couple guys at work had mishaps with stands this season but lived to tell about it. Be careful out there!

16-Nov-14
A local guy fell yesterday and broke his back. No word yet on how he's doing.

17-Nov-14
I hunt near where that happened. Tragic. Don't just think about yourself think about the ones you would leave behind. I hate harnesses. But I like life.

Last week I couldn't find any of my 3 full body harnesses. So I had to use the old style that just goes around your chest. I keep a knife easily accessible in case of a fall so I can cut myself loose if I need to. The other day I found my good harnesses. My wife decided to do me a favor and hang them up in a spot I'd never look. I let her have it! I told her don't touch my hunting stuff and look at it as a favor. I've been sitting up a tree for two weeks picturing myself gasping for air with that crappy one around my chest. She didn't like the sounds of that any more than I did.

I was life flighted in 92 after falling 16 feet and landing flat on my back down in Washington county. Broke 2 ribs and collapsed my left lung. Walked a mile to my truck before driving a short distance to a friends house who took me to the hospital. The little hospital near Canonsburg reinflated my lung and said I was beyond their capabilities so they had me flown asap to Alleghany General in Pittsburgh. So I take it pretty serious. Everyone should. Nobody plans on falling but it happens every year. Don't become that guy.

• Sitka Gear