Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
brewcrewmike 14-Nov-14
10orbetter 16-Nov-14
Pete-pec 16-Nov-14
brewcrewmike 17-Nov-14
Dampland 17-Nov-14
14-Nov-14
I've been given permission to hunt a property near Genoa City in Walworth County for the late season. The area is pretty much corn field after corn field with a few wooded areas here and there. I typically hunt up north (Oneida Cty) so this will be a big change for me.

Any tips for hunting these types of areas? Is morning or afternoon better? Would you sit all day during the late season?

I've hunted this area last year and things looked very encouraging with all kinds of tracks, bedding areas, etc. I got permission very late in December last year and I'm hoping with a little more time this year I can spend a few more days/hours hunting this area.

Thanks!

16-Nov-14
Late season, the feed bag is on! I would not waste my time on mornings and concentrate on evenings. Find the routes between bedding and feeding areas. Keep it simple and play the wind to the max! If you have cut corn with plenty left in the field, you are golden. If it is not cut, ask the farmer to leave a small spot near your stand uncut! I would even pay him to do it. If he does that, big buck, big buck, big buck, very late though. Usually last five minutes of shooting light. On the most bitter nights you need to be on stand. The nice part is, on the really cold nights, the last 1.5 hours should do you. Good luck.

16-Nov-14
10, about nailed it. These deer are nocturnal. They will be hungry. They will pile out of that perfect untouched bedding area, but it will happen with only minutes to spare (legal light). The wind as he mentioned will be the name of the game. There will be many deer perhaps even yarded to a degree with many eyes and many noses ready to bust you. Corn field after corn field? You are in the golden triangle! The ground is hard, and many farmers will be waiting to chisel plow until spring, so your corn should be there. You have a pretty good chance in seeing some deer!

17-Nov-14
I'm going to head down that way the last few days of November and try my luck. I'll get out there some more in December too! I want to put a trail camera out as well, just so I have an idea of what time the deer are showing up and what might be out there.

Thanks for the tips!

17-Nov-14
A ground blind, hidden well in the standing corn, will help you stay warm in the colder December weather.

I've had bucks come by the blind less than 10 yards away.

• Sitka Gear